• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   quint

quint

Linux Miner

• Forum MVP
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:29 AM

Hi all,Just ran by this website, in my travels, and thought that it might be of interest to some people, (perhaps those who are making the transition to Linux...or thinking about it). It is a "pretty-good" listing - pertinent, no ads to speak of, as a matter of fact, this is one helpful site! :(  :D http://albertwhite.c...dows-linux.html ( More recent and up-to-date : http://www.linuxalt.com/ )Hope you like it. :(NOTE: I corrected the link . . . . . and Here is another one posted further in the thread by jaquoval.And another site with the same info linuxeq.com-- Bruno

Edited by Bruno, 01 October 2007 - 01:48 PM.

~ « Linux User # 314972 ~ « Ubuntu User # 12930 ~

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
                -- Mark Twain

#2 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:21 AM

QuintThis is a helpfull site indeed . . . thanks for the link.Looks like there are more than enough alternatives for Windows applications !Imagine all that software for free . . ( except one or two ) ready for download and install on your Linux-box. :) :);) Bruno

#3 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:35 AM

WOW! That's a big list! Nice find ;)

#4 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 02:42 PM

hey now, i found that list and mentioned it a month or so ago.  ;) but thanks for re-kindling interest in this site.  i always refer to this site and its very useful (except for their "web design alternatives" list;  all linux web design tools are a joke, IMO)

#5 OFFLINE   quint

quint

Linux Miner

• Forum MVP
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:03 PM

Prelude76, on Jul 8 2003, 02:42 PM, said:

hey now, i found that list and mentioned it a month or so ago.  :D but thanks for re-kindling interest in this site.  i always refer to this site and its very useful (except for their "web design alternatives" list;  all linux web design tools are a joke, IMO)
Sorry, Prelude76, I really was not aware of that. :( It is a great site! :)

-- Mark Twain

#6 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 01:04 PM

quint, i was just razzing.  its not like it's my site.   :) but it's a good topic starter.  forget their huge list.  let's hear from all of us which we use.Music:  XMMSVideo:  MplayerCDR:  KBurnEmail:  EvolutionBrowser:  Mozilla/KonquerorFile Manager:  Konquerorwhat to you guys use the most? what about FTP?  Newsgroups?  Instant Messaging? Graphic editing?  Graphic viewing?  I still havent found which prog i like the most for those categories.  In particular, I'm looking for a viewer similar to ACDSee, and a image editor similar to PaintShopPro.  And Trillian for IM.  I tried Gimp, but i'm just not getting the grasp of it.  it's 'windows-all-over-the-place' interface and tiny black&white icons are hard to get used to.  and gaim doesnt hold a candle to Trillian, but maybe theres a skin to make it more inviting?

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 01:05 PM

Great list, but still no Duke Nukem 3D in the list ... darn :)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#8 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 02:34 PM

What I use ( I did publish this list before, but since you ask for it . . .  )DISTRO┬┤SMandrake 9.1Debian 3.0 Slackware 9.0VectorLinux SOHO 3.2VectorLinux 3.2 ( old computer )MULTIMEDIAVideo --> mplayerogg --> xmmsmp3 --> xmmsCD --> KsCDCD ripping --> KonquerorStreams --> RealPlayer G2/xmmsEncoder --> Lame ( NotLame )Recorder --> vsound and krecSequenser --> RosegardenAudioEditor --> AudacitySynthesizer --> AmsynthBasssynth --> FreebirthLoops --> SpyralloopsGRAPHICSImages general/editing --> The GimpIcons --> Gnome Icon editor ( sometimes Gimp )Viewer --> anything that comes up ( Gimp )INTERNETEmail --> Evolution ( addresses/agenda/mail ) ( Mutt on the old Vector )Browser --> Galeon ( Firebird in Slackware, Phoenix in Vector, Konqueror in Debian, Dillo in the old Vector )Download --> integrated in GaleonBanking --> KonquerorOFFICEOpenOffice.orgSYSTEMBurning --> k3b / cdcopy ( commandline )ISO┬┤s --> cdrecord / cdcopyEditors --> Vi !! :)Console --> Konsole ( transparent )Monitoring --> GkrellmDocs --> Rute / Mandrake the definitive manual / Easy computing LinuxGeneral --> Midnight CommanderASTRONOMYCelestiaXplnsKstarsFORUMAll Things Linux ;)I fear the list is not complete, but it┬┤s a good start.:) Bruno

#9 OFFLINE   greengeek

greengeek

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:30 PM

:rolleyes: Forget Windows altogether and just make do with what Linux offers!

#10 OFFLINE   quint

quint

Linux Miner

• Forum MVP
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:04 PM

greengeek, on Jul 9 2003, 05:30 PM, said:

:rolleyes: Forget Windows altogether and just make do with what Linux offers!
What a wonderful solution...love it, Joy. :)

-- Mark Twain

#11 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 07:55 AM

greengeek, on Jul 9 2003, 04:30 PM, said:

Forget Windows altogether and just make do with what Linux offers!
not a valid solution when it comes to web designing.  dreamweaver is like a sports car, while everything in Linux for web designing is like a bicycle.  sure, it will get you there, and you'll get a decent workout too, BUT it wont get you there as fast and in such style.  ;)      when you have tables into tables into tables with javascripts everywhere, hand-coding is NOT an option.  i dont feel like re-inventing the wheel.  i need a good full featured WYSIWYG style web page editor, and all i could find was HTML editors.p.s.-  also, need all my windows games.  i cant play tux racer all the time.  :rolleyes:

#12 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 08:43 AM

p.s.- also, need all my windows games. i cant play tux racer all the time.
Good point LOL!  :rolleyes:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#13 OFFLINE   quint

quint

Linux Miner

• Forum MVP
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:47 PM

Hi all,Will take this opportunity to get into the act...from a "beginner's" viewpoint:DISTRO'S:VectorSOHO 3.2Slackware 9.0Mandrake 9.1SuSE 8.2RedHat 9.0AUDIO:XMMSVIDEO:OgleGRAPHICS:GimpKSnapshotKIconEditE-MAIL:Ximian EvolutionThunderbirdBROWSER:Firebird GaleonOFFICE:OpenOfficeUTILITIES:K3bcdcopyMCViGAMES:Shisen-ShoFreecellASTRONOMY:KStarsFORUM:Scot'sPCQ&AAm sure that there will be additions / subtractions as I learn more. B)

-- Mark Twain

#14 OFFLINE   aydc

aydc

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 02:08 AM

This is a good idea for linux beginners.What a beginner needs is the name of just one program that does the things that his/her favortie program on windows does. Linux distros today come with tens of programs that do the same thing and people get confused.

#15 OFFLINE   akorvemaker

akorvemaker

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 03:51 PM

I agree, but I don't know if it's possible. Generally speaking, there are many programs available for any task. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Some vary depending on the desktop used (KDE vs GNOME vs etc...).What may work is a list that shows which is the "best for general use" option for both main desktop environments. So, for example, we could have:BrowserKDE: KonquerorGNOME: Galeon (I'm biased :huh: - I guess the "best for general use" option would be Epiphany)Generic: Mozilla (or Mozilla Firebird)Email ClientKDE: KmailGNOME: EvolutionSomething like that. It still shows the main options (a couple for each category) without overwhelming newcomers. Maybe having a very brief description after each would also be helpful (like "K3b (similar to Easy CD Creator)" or "Evolution (similar to MS Outlook)")

#16 OFFLINE   Owyn

Owyn

Posting Prodigy

• Forum MVP
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 09:40 AM

I have recently starting using the Xine player. It has been much easier to use out of the box than mplayer, I don't begrudge the work learning all the funny switches and options in mplayer, but, Xine has done everything I wanted it to without the learning curve.One big feature is the easy access to the monitor chroma and brightness controls.It has also not hung up on some problem videos. Runs without problems on a system mplayer complained was underpowered.Tested from Knoppix 3.3(DVD,SVCD) and Mandrake 9.1(SVCD). Both Ok. Was particularly impressed by the way Xine recognized the different hardware configurations automatically.It is also supposed to handle many of the standard digital formats (with plugins in some cases). Have not tested this yet but expecting good results.My recommendation for the video player equivalent for Linux.

#17 OFFLINE   Owyn

Owyn

Posting Prodigy

• Forum MVP
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 09:39 AM

An update on the previous note.Ran into a problem yesterday with a DVD that Xine could not handle. Needed to use mplayer to get it to play (funny menu and audio structure). Also need it for DIVX. Bottomline. Previous recommendation still stands for Xine as the default player (particularly for new users), but mplayer is definitely a dandy backup. I have not tested the new version of mplayer yet (waiting for it to go stable). But, it is supposed to go a long way to improving it's deficiencies in installation and user interface complexity.

#18 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:16 AM

I ran across an interesting article in the Christmas 2003 issue of Linux Format about migration.  They did comparisons of Windows/Linux equivalents.  Their equivalents include:MS Office -->  http://www.openoffice.org  Open OfficeMS Office Access --> http://www.softwareag.com/adabas/ (trial page is gone now)JASC PAintshop Pro/Adobe Photoshop--> The GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program)Apple iPhoto --> PixiePlus found at http://www.mosfet.org or http://www.rpmfind.netWinAmp/iTunes --> Juk at http://www.musicbrainz.org for vast collections or KaudioCreator and XMMS for non-power users.Nero Burning Rom --> K3bWindows Media Player/WinDVD --> MPlayer at http://mp.dev.hu/homepage and Xine at http://xinehq.deInternet Explorer:  KMail, Evolution, Thunderbird and OperaSamba --> Samba--Julia  :PUpdated to correct dead link.

Edited by teacher, 13 January 2004 - 01:10 PM.

Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#19 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:30 PM

Nice links teacher! make me think of some other ones:iPhoto - gThumbiTunes style player - Rhythmbox

#20 OFFLINE   martinultima

martinultima

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:07 AM

I have a short comparison I've been working on comparing Windows with what I feel is its closest Linux match (KDE).  Here's the link:  http://multima_redha...ows-vs-kde.htmlBy the way, here's my table of Windows/Linux equivalents that I actually use...Web BrowserWindows:  MozillaLinux:  MozillaOfficeWindows:  OpenOffice.orgLinux:  OpenOffice.orgPhoto EditingWindows:  The GIMPLinux:  The GIMPMedia PlayerWindows:  RealJukebox (although trying to compile XMMS)Linux:  XMMSText EditorWindows:  PyWordLinux:  PyWord(NOTE:  PyWord is one of my own programs.)

#21 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:53 PM

Windows: RealJukebox (although trying to compile XMMS)
Maybe you'd like to try Winamp instead. XMMS is more or less a Winamp clone so, you could have XMMS without having to compile it :)

#22 OFFLINE   martinultima

martinultima

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:54 AM

SonicDragon, on Jul 6 2004, 09:51 PM, said:

Maybe you'd like to try Winamp instead. XMMS is more or less a Winamp clone so, you could have XMMS without having to compile it ;)
Maybe... although the whole point is that I don't want all that much proprietary software on my system... I think at least 1/3 of my Windows programs are open-source (as well as all but one program I use on Linux, which would be the driver for my wireless card via NdisWrapper) :)RhythmBox has become my new favorite on Linux - I've heard it's meant to be a clone of iTunes, but I think it reminds me more of RealJukebox (only better B) )By the way, I've updated my Windows-vs-KDE page a bit - both new content and easier to read.  Although it's nowhere near comprehensive, it's a halfway-decent (at least in my opinion) comparison of Windows applications with what I feel are their closest matches in the Linux world.PS - I'm still a GNOME user myself, though B) B)

#23 OFFLINE   jaquoval

jaquoval

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 05:23 PM

Wasn't able to access the link from Quint's original post in this thread, but I did run across another Guide to equivalents, at Linux Signpost. I corrected the link on the first page . .  . and added yours too, thanks ! . . . . . Bruno

Edited by Bruno, 21 December 2004 - 07:22 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   jschiwal

jschiwal

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:03 PM

One nice thing about mplayer, is that you can play a movie  on one of the virtual terminals if you are using double-buffering.  You don't need to start X-Windows first.

#25 OFFLINE   misunderstruck

misunderstruck

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:15 PM

DISTROS: Fedora 3, GentooBrowser: FirefoxEmail: ThunderbirdWYSIWYG HTML Editor: NvuGraphics: The GIMPIM: Gaimmp3 player: Xmmsmp3 ripper: GripiPod interface: GtkpodCD burning: K3bVideo: Kaffeine, Totem, Ogle, or Mplayer (sorry, I realize someone earlier in the thread mentioned that one of the difficulties of Linux for a newcomer is the plethora of choices, but I really do use all of these at different points, often depending on which computer I am on and what sort of video format I wish to view.)File browsing: Nautilus or Evidence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users