Ping an ip or its corresponded name confusion

zillah

My laptop on different VLAN from our DNS server (win2003) at work, Laptop on 192.168.1.103,, DNS server on VLAN 192.168.101.99I can ping the DNS server from my laptop1- Shouldn't ping -a give me resolution for the name corresponded to the ip address ?[C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator]ping -a 192.168.101.99Pinging RRSSDNS [192.168.101.99] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 192.168.101.99: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.101.99: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.101.99: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.101.99: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127 Ping statistics for 192.168.101.99: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 0ms 2- I tied to ping the name (RRSSDNS ) instead of ip address as shown below: [C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator]ping RRSSDNSPing request could not find host RRSSDNS. Please check the name and try again. 3- I logged in remotely to the DNS server and I checked under My Computer->Computer Name->Properties->full computer name : RRSSDNS.rrss.net, and WORKGROUP which is used : WG,,,, I tried the below as well [C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator]ping RRSSDNS.rrss.netPing request could not find host RRSSDNS.rrss.net. Please check the name and try again. I have got same problem with another server that I ping its ip address and but I can not ping its name (finance2)I logged in remotely to the this server (finance) and I found under My Computer->Properties->Computer Name->full computer name : finance2. , WORKGROUP which is configures :WG,,,,,,,the only difference (unlike DNS server) here that the full computer name is same as the output from ping -a command of the ip of this server.

No, it's the other way around. Ping the computer/domain name, it gives you the IP.
i did not get this , i believe I have done this
[C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator]ping RRSSDNSPing request could not find host RRSSDNS. Please check the name and try again.
Is the above what you was advising ?Reagrds

You need to set the primary dns to the dns on the vlan in order for name resolution to work. Your current dns is probably not 192.168.101.99. Run ipconfig /all to check.

My laptop on different VLAN from our DNS server (win2003) at work, Laptop on 192.168.1.103,, DNS server on VLAN 192.168.101.99I can ping the DNS server from my laptop1- Shouldn't ping -a give me resolution for the name corresponded to the ip address ?[C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator]ping -a 192.168.101.99Pinging RRSSDNS [192.168.101.99] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 192.168.101.99: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.101.99: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.101.99: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.101.99: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127 Ping statistics for 192.168.101.99: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 0ms 2- I tied to ping the name (RRSSDNS ) instead of ip address as shown below: [C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator]ping RRSSDNSPing request could not find host RRSSDNS. Please check the name and try again. 3- I logged in remotely to the DNS server and I checked under My Computer->Computer Name->Properties->full computer name : RRSSDNS.rrss.net, and WORKGROUP which is used : WG,,,, I tried the below as well [C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator]ping RRSSDNS.rrss.netPing request could not find host RRSSDNS.rrss.net. Please check the name and try again. I have got same problem with another server that I ping its ip address and but I can not ping its name (finance2)I logged in remotely to the this server (finance) and I found under My Computer->Properties->Computer Name->full computer name : finance2. , WORKGROUP which is configures :WG,,,,,,,the only difference (unlike DNS server) here that the full computer name is same as the output from ping -a command of the ip of this server.
If you can ping the address and not the name, then your computer isn't getting DNS service. Are you using just workgroups or are you a member of a domain? Edited by lewmur

Are you using just workgroups or are you a member of a domain?
I have got two accounts: stand alone and member of domain, when I have done this test I was not member of the domain.

I have got two accounts: stand alone and member of domain, when I have done this test I was not member of the domain.
Which suggests are you using DHCP or static addressing. If you join the domain and it provides the IP address then the DNS should be provided by DHCP by default.