11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   volunteer

volunteer

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:19 PM

I installed 10 automatic updates, one was IE7. Everything installed with no errors but there's no icon to start it. It shows in Programs Installed. How do I start it? I started to uninstall but it gave warnings that updates installed with it will cause problems. I should have known better.

#2 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:02 PM

View Postvolunteer, on Nov 10 2006, 03:19 PM, said:

I installed 10 automatic updates, one was IE7. Everything installed with no errors but there's no icon to start it. It shows in Programs Installed. How do I start it? I started to uninstall but it gave warnings that updates installed with it will cause problems. I should have known better.
You mean there's no desktop icon for IE7? Is there a Start menu Icon? Quicklaunch icon?
James M. Fisher
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image
A Microsoft MVP Windows Expert (Consumer) since 2003

#3 OFFLINE   volunteer

volunteer

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

View PostJames M. Fisher, on Nov 10 2006, 05:02 PM, said:

You mean there's no desktop icon for IE7? Is there a Start menu Icon? Quicklaunch icon?
James. nope. Not a thing. Is there a command I can type in "RUN"?

#4 OFFLINE   Martini Lover

Martini Lover

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:43 PM

View Postvolunteer, on Nov 10 2006, 07:45 PM, said:

James. nope. Not a thing. Is there a command I can type in "RUN"?
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
I am a two martini lover.  Two martinis and I think I am a lover.

#5 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:50 PM

That's right (or just iexplore.exe).Also, right-click your desktop>properties>Desktop tab, then the "Customize desktop" button an put a checkmark in the Internet Explorer checkbox.
James M. Fisher
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image
A Microsoft MVP Windows Expert (Consumer) since 2003

#6 OFFLINE   volunteer

volunteer

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

Thanks, James and Martini, everything is working OK now.  I was trying ieexplore, that's what happens when you have a senior moment.

#7 OFFLINE   RandomBox

RandomBox

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

Typing "iexplore" {sans quotes} from the Start>>Run menu will get you there at anytime!So, there is no need to be so hard on yourself.You were very close! :P

#8 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:55 PM

This must be a common occurrence because Sandi Hardmeier posted about this just yesterday.  For anyone else with the problem, if the former suggestions don't work, Sandi's reg fix will:

Is your IE7 desktop icon missing in Vista?This is what you are missing. Create a reg file with the following text - merge with the registry:Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000You will need to refresh the desktop to see the shortcut (right click on desktop, select refresh).

Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#9 OFFLINE   RandomBox

RandomBox

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

Good stuff, Corrine!I had a big problem installing release version of IE7 over the previous beta version.  No matter what I did to install it, I kept getting access permission denials in the registry!I tried to install it over beta!I tried virgin/fresh install!I tried admin account install!I even tried safe mode install!Nothing, nada, zip, zilch!It'd fail each and every time; with different access denied errors per the install log (ie7.log)!In an act of desperation, I was forced to go to the command prompt and run the command/script:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose
and schzaaaam.  I was successful!

#10 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:13 PM

Sandi certainly is good at what she does!  I'm glad you found the solution.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#11 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

One quick point: It's not a big deal to uninstall IE7 even though it warns you about other applications. The browser is a Web-based service to many other applications. At this point, few apps are dependent on IE7-specific features. So it's no issue to revert to IE6. Later it may become more of an issue.-- Scot
Scot Finnie, Editor-in-Chief, Computerworld.com

#12 OFFLINE   RandomBox

RandomBox

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:17 AM

... during my recent exploits to update from IE7Beta and install the released version of IE7, I DID get a prompt that InternetExplorer7 was a required component and was needed to launch Windows LiveMail Desktop Beta (old OutlookExpress). :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users