7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   steel

steel

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

my Centos wont boot gives me an error says that it cant fiind LABEL=/ only thing that has LABEL=/ is on my lilo.. how do you know when to use the append or not to and how to add the enteries thats what i cant figure out .... the first one if from grub entery that works..... the second is my lilo and that doesnt work ....

title CentOS-4 i386 (2.6.9-42.EL)        root (hd0,16)        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.EL ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-42.EL.img

image=/boot/centos/vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.EL label="Centos" root=/dev/hda17 initrd=/boot/centos/initrd-2.6.9-42.EL.img append="root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet" vga=791       read-only
othres dont even need that and they work  and they dont even need the initrd=  example

image=/boot/slack11/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.33.3 label="Slackware11" root=/dev/hda9 read-only
Quess my question here is how do you know when to add append

Edited by steel, 09 October 2006 - 02:57 PM.

Debian lenny ( main work computer ), Debian squeeze, Arch, Zorin ..Pclos mini  ... Aptosid....SliTaz... Freebsd.... LFS

Louis
Registered Linux User #412396
LFS User #22302

#2 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

Hi SteelI would leave out the root=LABEL=/ from the Lilo append . . and see what it says.;) Bruno

#3 OFFLINE   steel

steel

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

View PostBruno, on Oct 9 2006, 02:01 PM, said:

Hi SteelI would leave out the root=LABEL=/ from the Lilo append . . and see what it says.B) Bruno
Hi Bruno... ok i will give it a try and report back ...i changed to this now

image=/boot/centos/vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.EL label="Centos" root=/dev/hda17 initrd=/boot/centos/initrd-2.6.9-42.EL.img append="rhgb quiet" vga=791       read-only

Debian lenny ( main work computer ), Debian squeeze, Arch, Zorin ..Pclos mini  ... Aptosid....SliTaz... Freebsd.... LFS

Louis
LFS User #22302

#4 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:13 PM

B) Louis, here' s my lilo entry for centos 4.3 as freerence:
image=/boot/centos/vmlinuz-2.6.9-34.0.1.EL		label="CentOS-4.3"		root=/dev/hdf1		initrd=/boot/centos/initrd-2.6.9-34.0.1.EL.img		append="resume=/dev/hdf12 splash=verbose"		read-only		vga=normal

striker

#5 OFFLINE   steel

steel

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:39 PM

View Poststriker, on Oct 9 2006, 02:13 PM, said:

B) Louis, here' s my lilo entry for centos 4.3 as freerence:
Thanks Bruno and Striker.... well the first method didnt work to good as soon as it was ready to boot  this is what i get ...

fsck xt3: unable to resolve LABEL=/ an errror occured durning file system check-security enforment has been trigered and is in effect-selinux enforment is active-all will be reported-give password for maintaince-run seten force 1 to reenable
i logged in as root to try to repair it and then did ths

fsckunable to resolve LABEL=/
update:i am looking at centos lilo now tere is a file called lilo.conf.anaconda

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.EL label=linux initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.9-42.EL.img read-only append="rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/"

Edited by steel, 09 October 2006 - 03:47 PM.

Louis
LFS User #22302

#6 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

Hi SteelWhat if you install the Centos bootloader in the /partition and then:

other=/dev/hda17label="Centos"
B) Bruno

#7 OFFLINE   steel

steel

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:44 AM

View PostBruno, on Oct 9 2006, 04:29 PM, said:

Hi SteelWhat if you install the Centos bootloader in the /partition and then::thumbsup: Bruno
Thank you Bruno and Striker..... i have tried both methods and still no go.... i should explain what happen.... i was deleting some distros from my comp ... and i deleted Centos by mistake .... i had it backup anyway on partimage .... i did the restore and thats when i had all these problems which i posted .... i wanted to do the lazy way using partimage, first time partimage did that to me and will be the last ...... i remebered i also had restored centos on my dvd using tar ... and dug out the dvd and restored it and  :hysterical:  from the first try no problem ..... i guess the old ways are always the best ways ..... again thanks for both your help .... and by the way this was the right way on centos

image=/boot/centos/vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.EL label="Centos" root=/dev/hda17 initrd=/boot/centos/initrd-2.6.9-42.EL.img append="rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/" vga=791 read-only

Louis
LFS User #22302

#8 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:21 AM

:thumbsup:  :hysterical:  glad it's working again !
striker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users