Fedora Core 5 and Flash - the fix

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

I was having trouble with installing Flash on my new FC5 install. I downloaded the Flashplayer for linux from macromedia and installed it as root and user. No go.I did a search on fc5 firefox flashplayer and came up with this:http://justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145242The very last posting had the answer! Much thanks to habibbijan at JustLinux Forums for this answer.

I had that problem as well. See these two sites.http://macromedia.mplug.org/http://macromedia.mplug.org/faq.html#fontAlso, be sure to read Finkley's Installation Notes.
I did the steps* and then used yum to get the flash-plugin installed and now about:plugins does show it!All this got started by trying to see the flash on this page:http://www.savetheinternet.com/broadband.htmlAnd then when I could see it, I realized I didn't want to see it on dialup anyway! I had already downloaded the mp3 of the song and on dialup it's a nightmare to try to listen through the autoplayer they used. LOL!But at least I will be able to see flash when I need to see it.* Steps outlined:
11. Most text is failing to display on Flash sites! The plugin has bugs where it makes bad assumptions about the font configuration. For this reason, it fails to find fonts on newer versions of X.org. You can workaround this problem in the short-term by using these commands as root. mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/ ln -s /etc/X11/fs/config /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config Read Red Hat Bugzilla #184028 for more information about this problem. Ultimately Macromedia must fix this bug in a future version of their plugin.12. How do I setup yum to install this package automatically on Fedora? Fedora yum users, simply save this file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ then type yum install flash-plugin
NOTE: I had already installed manually without success as both user and root, copied it to known possible locations that could be parsed to see if a flash plugin was installed and it never once worked or showed up in about:plugins when typed in Firefox address bar....until I did the steps above.As noted, Macromedia needs to fix this. And I can't help wondering. We never had this kind of problem before Adobe took over Macromedia. :hysterical: Hope this helps someone else who may be pulling out their hair on trying to get flash to work under FC5.

The plugin has bugs where it makes bad assumptions about the font configuration.
:hysterical: . . . . . @#$ !!!
As noted, Macromedia needs to fix this. And I can't help wondering. We never had this kind of problem before Adobe took over Macromedia. :hysterical:
Progress is often really a few steps back !Thanks for posting this Fran ! . . . . It will save a good few people pulling their hair ( well they can always hide their baldness under a red hat :whistling: ) :whistling: Bruno

The usual way works for me:Shockwave Flash 7.0 r63 is installed and shows up in about:plugins.Thanks for posting that alternative Fran!

Edited by striker

Guest LilBambi

Do you use FF as an RPM or did you install the latest in your user space?And do you use Gnome or KDE?This has been a big problem for alot of FC5 uers and who knows it might have something to do with ATI cards in X config. if it's not universal for all FC5 users.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060614 Fedora/1.5.0.4-1.2.fc5 Firefox/1.5.0.4 pango-textis the one I'm using with a whole slew of extensions and the Brushed theme. I did not get it from Mozilla, I got it from some of the repos. (If you want to know exactly which repo, let me know: in that case I install yumex and have a look.)The flash I have on this one I got from the macromedia repo. BTW: if I'm not erring the one I use -Shockwave Flash 7.0 r63 - is superseded by now by 7.0 r63.1 ,but I could be wrong completely.Saw something mentioned about that "via via via" links started on linuxquestions.org;