• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

Got a couple timeouts that led to a IX error page, but once the site loaded the images, the subsequent times seemed to load a little better except on searches like trying to get the last post on a topic with 40 posts in it.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#127 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

You may have noticed some issues the other night where the forums were offline and some posts were missing.Scot, said the hosting company is doing notification in a different way than previously, but he did find out what happened that night when posts mysteriously disappeared.They had a disk RAID array failure and had to restore our MySQL database to a previous backup state (they backup everyday).As far as any IPS errors, I would attribute that to the weirdness on the web in the last few days - however, I have let Scot know about it just in case it is something else). There have been many sites coming and going for no apparent reason. Quite a few people have noticed the same thing including Bruno, Scot and myself. :">
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#128 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

Scot said the hosting company came across corruption in the backups of some MySQL accounts (likely not ours since we didn't lose posts again last night) on the server. They had to shut down again at about midnight last night. Then they went back another day for those accounts. So, the stuff just after 12AM this morning was accounted for in the latest information to hosting account holders overnight.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#129 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 18,224 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

Thank you for the info and updates, Fran. B)

Posted Image

#130 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

You are very welcome Eric! B)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#131 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

Sorry about the loss of posts. It's a pretty dramatic outcome, but I'm very glad to be at MediaLayer. This is by far the best webhost this forums has been hosted on. Glad it was explained properly too.-- Scot
Scot Finnie, Editor-in-Chief, Computerworld.com

#132 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:24 PM

Thanks Scot! Yes, I am also very happy to be on MediaLayer. Our database has never been able to go so long with only minor issues over long lengths of time like it has with this host.Good to see ya on the forums, Scot. I know your life is VERY busy so taking time to post is much appreciated.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#133 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

Thanks! B)
striker

#134 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

I got an error sometime after noon Eastern time Oct. 21st, 2009.I sucessfully read and responded then came back because I wanted to ask a question and the site would not load.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#135 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

Sorry Liz. There was something wrong and the hosting company quickly fixed it. All better now. It is not unreasonable that they may see some things that need fixing after their array went bad. Should level out though.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#136 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

This is an odd one, and I was having the same issue on my old install of WIN7 Pro after I upgraded to IE10 a few months ago. The enter/carriage return key does not start a new line/paragraph in the new message window. When I need to start a new line/paragraph I have to type the message into Notepad or Word, then copy/paste it from there into the message window. Any ideas?

Edited by mac, 09 February 2014 - 12:29 PM.

Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#137 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

The enter/return key works in FF 27 but not IE 10. I have a post in the testing subsection.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#138 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Yes, apparently this is an IE 10 and IE 11 problem.

I would suggest using Firefox or Chrome for the forums until Microsoft fixes their problems.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#139 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Odd, but I first noticed this problem in FF 29. I switched back to IE and the problem persisted. I switched keyboards, thinking it was my old KB. Still had the problem, although it has not occurred in the typing of this post (in IE) at all. Hmmm...
James M. Fisher
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image
A Microsoft MVP Windows Expert (Consumer) since 2003

#140 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

Now you know why I have moved to Google Chrome and Pale Moon. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#141 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Well it seems OK (on IE) now for some reason. I tend to se a three major browsers interchangeably; I can never stick with one, it seems.
James M. Fisher
Posted Image

#142 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Me too. I even use Opera for some stuff too. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#143 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

I have to look for my copy of Netscape Navigator...
James M. Fisher
Posted Image

#144 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Well, I was talking about using modern security updatable browsers... ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users