KMail questions

arcturus

Alrighty, KMail seems to be a decent app but how it integrates with Firefoxescapes me which isn't surprising :D so here goes:How do you define Kmail as the default mail app for Firefox?Reversing this, how does one define Firefox as the default browserfor a clickable url link within a Kmail message?And now for a bonus question :) ...When composing a Kmail message I'd like to avoid posting a lengthyurl by embedding the link within highlighted text. For instance, inthe sentence 'for more info click here', where the word 'here' whenclicked will launch the browser and go to the web site.PCLinuxOS .92 w/KDE 3.5

Hi arcturusBecause FF is a gnome-program and Kmail a KDE program you will need to install the "gnome-control-center" in PCLos first, after that you can set FF as the default browser in "gnome-control-center" ( start from terminal ) --> "Preferred Applications" --> "Web Browsers" ( !! Even if you only ever run KDE !! )Next you have to set Kmail as default mail program, you do this both in the gnome-control-center AND the KDE Control Center --> Component Chooser --> Email Client.For the log URLs you best go to "http://www.tinyurl.com" and make them smaller before you send them. ;):D BrunoWishes.png

Thanks Bruno. I was going to download the gnome-control-center app from synapticbut all the dependencies turned me off, thinking it perhaps overkill? :thumbsup: Fortunately I found another solution to both questions .... remarkably. ;) -------------(makes Firefox start when there's a clickable url within KMail)KDE Control Center > Components > File Associations > Text > html,selected Mozilla Firefox, clicked the 'Move Up' button to put itabove Konqueror, clicked 'Edit', went to the Applications tab, thenadded %u to the command line, ie/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox %u-------------(makes KMail launch when clicking mailto link within Firefox)type about:config in Firefox address barlook for network.protocol-handler.app.mailtoright click on this line, then modifytype in kmail, overwriting whatever's there, then click the ok button

Edited by arcturus

Hmmm, :P I have three Firefox's listed ... the one I use already has %u on the end ... listed as Firefox, if you edit it, it says MozillaFirefox The 'other' Firefox is as above but on edit says MozillaFirefox-Gnome And the last one is MozillaFirefox and edit reveals Firefox. B) Anyway ... guess what ... I do not need any edits or to do anything ... it works as it should. I click any mailto and Kmail opens ... I click any link in Kmail & FF opens. Needless to say, I ain't 'fixing' anything. :w00t: Oh I do like this game. ;)

Edited by muckshifter

I click any mailto and Kmail opens ... I click any link in Kmail & FF opens. Needless to say, I ain't 'fixing' anything.
Firefox was already set up to launch kmail ... without any tweaking? :w00t:

Firefox was already set up to launch kmail ... without any tweaking? B)
I am using Suse ... it comes with FF and I really liked Kmail ... I did have to alter something to get a link in Kmail to open FF but it was a tick this, not a hack. ****** if I know what/where 'cos once I get things right, I leave it well alone. But yes, your hack is already implemented on my system ... and I know I didn't do it. :w00t: