Mandriva Powerpack dkms failure

Bruno

Just posting for future reference ;)This post is only for those people who installed Mandriva 2005 from the PowerPack 6CD version AND that have a Nvidia graphics card.After the install they will notice that during each and every boot they get a message:

dkmsnVidia (7174): Installing module ...(bad exit status:5)Installation failed.
After the message the system and the Nvidia drivers boot up fine . . . . so actually no problem the message can be ignored ( well, that is what they say at the Driva Club forum ) . . . but after doing some tests . . . . here is the undocumented tweak to set things straight:
# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S04dkms# ln -s /etc/init.d/dkms /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S61dkms

This puts the start of dkms from S04 to S61 and that solves the problem :D ( Your ATL always has the better solution :D ):huh: BrunoNOTE: So this is NOT if you installed the drivers yourself . . . only if they came automatically with the installation of the distro.

Hi Bruno;I used the 6 CD set to install Mandriva 2005, and I have an ATI card which, on boot,gives me a similar error message. 'Ati (8.10.19) Installing module......(bad exit status: 5)Installation failed! 'What would be the proper code that I could use for my video card? I understandthat you do not have an ATI card; but could you determine the proper code to use?Tnx ;)

Hi RpizJust give the same code as I posted

# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S04dkms# ln -s /etc/init.d/dkms /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S61dkms

It gives that faillure because dkms is started to early . . . setting it to S61 will solve the problem ;);) Bruno

• 7 months later...
Hi Bruno;I used the 6 CD set to install Mandriva 2005, and I have an ATI card which, on boot,gives me a similar error message. 'Ati (8.10.19) Installing module......(bad exit status: 5)Installation failed! 'What would be the proper code that I could use for my video card? I understandthat you do not have an ATI card; but could you determine the proper code to use?Tnx :hmm:
kmp2005 le with 6cd setup I dont get the graphical interface just login- can do. Can I just enter code as in the pst just read or do I have to be root? yeah i'm lost without graphics startup

You need to be root to do the coding. If you are at a text login, just type konsole and press enter. That will tkae you to the console screen. If you are loggedin as root you are ready to go. If you typed in your user name already and password then you will need to start off with su and password to change to root mode.

Hi kmpFirst: welcome to the forum !This only works if you see the dkms failure at startup in the boot-messages ! ( The failure will not prevent you to get a GUI )If you have "other" problems of getting a GUI at boot you will need another approach. From what I read in your post you are booting to a black screen with a login prompt. In that case you would be better off to type:

rootIt will then ask you for the root-password you did setup during the install, once you give the password you get the prompt back and need to type: [code]XFdrake

( !! Case sensetive !! )This will bring up a configuration tool where you will have to configure "X" ( X is the Linux name for the GUI ) . . . . go through the wizard and do test the configuration with the "Test" button, if you get a multicolored rainbow-kind of screen with a text-box where you can click on OK, then you are ready !Next, log-out as root with Ctrl+D and now log in as the user you set up during install . . . then type:

startx

And you should then get the GUI !Now, of course there is a simpler way to do this, but you will have to re-install and follow this thread: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=319 and pay extra attention at screen #15, there is where you can set the GUI up with just a few clicks ;)B) Bruno