225 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 10:36 AM

Joy,I've never crashed it either.  I have had apps crash and freeze but that is fixed with kill or a control-esc if your running X.  I've seen a kernal panic once but that was on bad hardware that was freezing in windows so I thought I give Linux a try on it just for grins.  Linux is less tollerant of flaky hardware then Windows is. Not a bad thing really, what was an intermitant error in windows would even let Linux boot.
Nathan Williams, N-Line Computers

How to kill a programmer:  Give him a shampoo bottle.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

#202 OFFLINE   allshebe

allshebe

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 06:29 PM

RobertM, on May 27 2003, 06:48 PM, said:

I would actually propose to nominate Internet Explorer! While previously probably one of the best Windows browsers, it has failed to keep up with the times and Web standards.
I second the nomination - at least version 6.0 running on XP. When MS (in a huff?) decided to not include the java vm in the 'default' load, I decided I would use Sun Java. I recently tried to use the Java chat at Yahoo. I got a message that I should download the vm from MS (fat chance). On the other hand, I just downloaded Opera 7.11 and, with it identified as IE6, it opens the chat just fine with the Sun java. So much for MS fulfilling their agreements/obligations.

#203 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Discussion Deity

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 01:19 AM

Incredimail. The world's scariest EULA! Calls home every time you use it.ps. Linux can be secure with one line in your iptables configuration.Still a newbie but I like Mandrake.Dual-booting with WinXP, the performance seems to be close with maybe a slight edge in Linux.pps.try Knoppix live CD for a painless test version of Linux. No installation! Tons of included apps! Free!Knoppix Webpage  :rolleyes:
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image MX-14
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#204 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 10:13 AM

pps.try Knoppix live CD for a painless test version of Linux. No installation! Tons of included apps! Free!Knoppix Webpage
Yea, knoppix is great! It even works pretty well on older pc's. Maybe it should be in the hall of fame? (if it isn't already).

#205 OFFLINE   henderrob

henderrob

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:48 PM

Microsoft Media Player gives me real nice sound in XP with SoundBlaster 5.1 using a four speaker set for my Koss 4.1.  It has multichannel sound that I don't get in linux or other MP3 players

#206 Guest_martinultima_*

Guest_martinultima_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2003 - 02:14 PM

Palm OS 4.0.1 (maybe it's just my Palm m125, but...) - very, very glitchy.  Often crashes (I had to delete half of my favorite programs from my handheld just because they kept crashing the thing), and twice it's accidentally hard-reset... and here's the biggest problem:  when it's hard reset, the screen says something like "erase all data, press PAGE UP; continue normally, any other key" - and guess what?Any other key doesn't work.I've had to wipe it out twice all because of that glitch - neither time intentionally.  The only reason I'm still using the stupid thing is because I'm sorta low on funds (I'm planning on upgrading one of my computers) and I don't have the time to move everything over, get all sorts of new accessories for recharging while travelling, etc.(Everything you may hear about Palm making "one silly mistake after another"... perfectly true)

#207 OFFLINE   Mi1house

Mi1house

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 06:17 PM

It’s been awhile since I uninstalled it, but “WINZIP 8.0” was a monumental pain in the A$$.Equally as bad has to be “HP’s Share To Web” applet that came out for a short time with some of its hardware.  If you uninstalled this lame excuse of software incorrectly (read: never) it would literally cement itself to your desktop via an irremovable icon!  I tried everything from scouring the registry, to a dandy uninstall tool from their website (that did not work at all).For me to poop on.

#208 OFFLINE   mikeh

mikeh

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 02:15 PM

I nominate CD Anywhere for the software hall of shame. It is software that creates virtual CDROM drives and lets you copy an entire CD to your hard disk and load it into a virtual CDROM drive. Great idea for childrens games. However, I tried using three different versions of it under Windows XP and each version of the software had problems - different problems in each case. The details are documented on my web site Computer Gripes After problems with the third version of the software, the vendor (V Communications) said the latest problems will be fixed in the next release. At no time did they try to debug the problems despite my sending them error messages and error codes. Just terrrible.

#209 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 02:47 PM

mikeh, on Aug 20 2003, 01:15 PM, said:

I nominate CD Anywhere for the software hall of shame. It is software that creates virtual CDROM drives and lets you copy an entire CD to your hard disk and load it into a virtual CDROM drive. Great idea for childrens games. However, I tried using three different versions of it under Windows XP and each version of the software had problems - different problems in each case. The details are documented on my web site Computer Gripes After problems with the third version of the software, the vendor (V Communications) said the latest problems will be fixed in the next release. At no time did they try to debug the problems despite my sending them error messages and error codes. Just terrrible.
i never heard of itfor what its worth, the best CD Image emulator has got to be the built-in one for Alcohol 120%.  The same company made Phantom CD before, and now the Phantom CD is included inside Alchohol.  Makes multiple CD-drives, mount and unmount images by simple right-click in windows explorer on the virtual CD, and can handle pretty much all types of copy protected games without a hitch.  as far as the system is concerned, you have a genuine CD inserted in your drive.

#210 OFFLINE   trigggl

trigggl

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:23 PM

Don't know if this has been mentioned and I wouldn't have even known about it except for work.MS Internet Security and Acceleration Server Or ISA Server for short.It does a great job of blocking harmful files and any browser not named Internet Explorer. I am forced to use IE at work because Netscape, Mozilla or any other browser is blocked.  The ISA server can be configured to allow these through, but then it is less secure.Well, I can still use Firebird on the local network. <_<
Greg

#211 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

Are you looking for candidates?#2 Adobe Reader - bloated, scatters files all over your HD.#1 RealPlayer - bloated, scatters files all over your HD, steals file associations, phones home for all sorts of unsavory purposes.I have to confess that I have RealPlayer 10 - but I keep it on a very tight leash.
A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#212 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Forum Fiend

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

Internet Explorer 8.0, 7.0, 6.0, 5.5, 5.0 4.0..etc

#213 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

Norton Ghost 14.0Used it a couple of hours on a clean Vista 64bit install: it sabotaged and crippled Vista to be even worse than the Migraine Edition (ME), Vista was unusable after the install. Tried it a couple of times to no avail, forums solution were doing nothing to the positive, in fact I saw more people having trouble with it. Therefore I send it back for the 60 days money-back-guarantee. Using something else now which actually works 100% and costs even less.Comodo CIS 64 bit Vista:Uses ask toolbar which is pre-checked by default. It is being presented as being something from Comodo to improve things, however it's just this ask toolbar thing. Disgustible at the least. I have it installed (the CIS that is, not that toolbar and its accompanying so called improvements) and knew from the start from this 'peculiar offer', but those less savvy are going to be shoved this ask toolbar down the throat. They will probably simply click yes. Bad bad thing. Doesn't even switch off Vistas own firewall, so after the install you end up with two firewalls fighting each other, nice!
striker

#214 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

All firewall developers out there.Try to locate a good 64bit version firewall for Vista... So far I've found seven, from which one is not accepted by Vista, one and a half are just front ends for Vistas own firewall, two or three are just so so and ask a lot of money,the rest is beta quality, if not alpha. It really is a shame, if not for crying out loud. 64bit is the way to go, and what have they got for us? Nothing, only one left. And it's that only one which actually works ok - as long as it works - but has an ask.com toolbar in the offerings which is pre-checked to be installed. B) Sorry, but with Windows 7 around the corner they - the firewall manufacturers/developers - are late if not to late. That's what I'm calling shooting your self in the foot. And when they eventually will come out with one, what will it be? Beta quality or to early released full of bugs for a $39,95 fee? B)
striker

#215 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:26 AM

adobe acrobat reader - bloated, but at least it's slow.real player - see previous post, above.norton av v8 and prior - bloated, uses more cpu % than everything else combined, or so it seems.mcafee - as w/norton, uninstallable.  esp the corp version.  ooo, yuck.quicktime and its ancillary stuffms office - it phones home, like everything else, far too often.windows media player - it's drm, find cover art on the net, the clever rouse for phone home with your playlist in handlavasoft ad aware - for real reasons, non technical in nature internet exploded - for ethical reasonssharepoint - it is front page renamed.  horrible text editor, a 2nd grader could design better.  maybe the 2010 version will fix some stuff.front page - did you know ms still sells that?  wow.and all the software that adds pre-load to your auto run at startup causing your boot times to become bloat times.
Posted Image

#216 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

Consider boycotting IOBit SecurityApparently they stole the intellectual property of Malwarebytes.Read about it herehttp://www.malwareby...p...=29681&st=0spread the link around, please, so more people are aware of this.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#217 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

yeah, i know this thread is dead, but it's "stickied" so, here i post.

windows 8 - hall of shame
- touch screen being shoved at us
- loss of themes and other loss of pleasing-to-the-ey
- released way too soon to a perfectly good os, win 7
- no, zero, added features/value

i.e. it suxors
Posted Image

#218 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostTemmu, on 31 May 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

yeah, i know this thread is dead, but it's "stickied" so, here i post.

windows 8 - hall of shame
- touch screen being shoved at us
- loss of themes and other loss of pleasing-to-the-ey
- released way too soon to a perfectly good os, win 7
- no, zero, added features/value

i.e. it suxors
Too early for this. It is looking more and more that the Consumer Preview for W8 was really just a test pilot for reactions. The first Release Preview has quite a few changes. But so far it still seems that point 3 is valid and I would amend point 4 to no features added of value to desktop businesss users.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#219 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

thx for the response, crp, points noted. :)
Posted Image

#220 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,829 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Agreed. Way too early for this. Let's wait till it's out and we all have a chance to decide if it needs to go here.

Microsoft could wise up and still allow a good full service OS behind the scenes. Who knows...if they are smart that is.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#221 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

yup, true, lilbambi.

but =remember= there are 3 oss in one -
1. touchy-feely screen (nasty, blocky, uselessy)
2. windows portable devices os - probably a fine os and a great fit there.
3. crappy, artless, sterile os resembling win 3.1. so sad.
Posted Image

#222 OFFLINE   RichardKR

RichardKR

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

This thread is NOT dead.  It's just lying in wait like a snake, waiting to strike.
My latest gripe is that Win8 will not work with MS Office 2003 or earlier.  That's a $400 program - Office Pro.
So what do I do? NOT UPGRADE! That's for sure.  I installed LibreOffice and love it, now if I could figure out how to move a few access tables into "base" I'll be a happy camper.  The reason I don't want to upgrade MSOffice is not only the money, but the ribbon interface.
Seems like improving software is not about cleaning up under the hood, but adding lots of chrome, and big tail fins and changing the steering wheel to a stick mounted on the roof, and reversing the gas and brake pedals, because it's just "Better".

#223 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,829 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

You might be able to do it pretty well (access to base).

You might be able to install Windows XP* or Windows 7 in VirtualBox on Windows 8, like I did on the Mac and Linux.

* Just remember that Windows XP needs to not be on the Internet after April 8, 2014 when all support goes away unless you are willing to pay for it. Turning off the networking works well in VirtualBox when needed.

Edited by LilBambi, 02 September 2013 - 01:28 PM.

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#224 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

Hello,

One thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft Office 2003 is going to be unsupported shortly, just like Microsoft Windows XP.  This means that if there are any security vulnerabilities in it, they won't get patched.

As a precaution, I would recommend that if you continue to use Office 2003, you do so from a computer which is not connected to the Internet.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.
Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - ITPro
My blog.

#225 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 20,829 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Absolutely and all the more good reason to disconnect that network connection on Windows XP.

Put office 2003 still will technically work on Windows 7, so even more reason to keep in mind that Office 2003 support will be also ending!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users