slackware kernel 2.6 easy way

steel

hi everyone i just wanted to share with you all the easiest way i know of having a 2.6 kernel .. after updating my vector linux i was curious if it would work on my slackware 10.1 so i tried it and its been 5 days and nooooooo problems at all,nothing broke and everything works excellent... here is what i did ...

cat /etc/slackware-version ; uname -rSlackware 10.1.02.6.11.2
wget http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.0/packages/cli/AAA/kernel-headers-2.6.11.2-i586-2vl5.tgz  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.0/packages/cli/AAA/kernel-2.6.11_2-i586-2vl5.tgz

i also made a backup just in case but never needed em but you should always backup so

cp /etc/modules.conf /etc/modules.conf.oold cp /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.conf.oold

# installpkg kernel-2.6.11_2-i586-2vl5.tgz# installpkg kernel-headers-2.6.11.2-i586-2vl5.tgz

then dont forget to add your new kernel to your lilo

image = /boot/slack/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.29       root = /dev/hdaX       label = Slack 2.4       append="hdc=ide-scsi"       vga=787image = /boot/slack/vmlinuz-2.6.11       root = /dev/hdaX       label = slack 2.6

X is where you have your slackware partition, and /sbin/lilo and thats it your done :lol:

Nice one Steel . . . that looks pretty easy indeed ! . . . ( And clever to use the kernels on the FTP from Vector :lol: :lol: Bruno

that was the easiest ever kernel 2.6 i ever did on slack, i didnt want to post this cos thought ppl would think i was nuts cos it is so simple :lol: after having on my computer for 5 days and trying everything to see if anything broke and everything works excellent so ii thought :lol: perhaps i should post it in case anyone else wants to upgrade there kernel to 2.6

would think i was nuts

LOL . . . :lol: . . . we do not think Steel . . . we know for sure :lol: . . . . . LOL . . . . . but is not eveybody nuts going through all the trouble running Linux when there is that other OS where you just have to point and click . . . . :w00t:B) Bruno

LOL  . . . :lol: . . . we do not think Steel . . . we know for sure :P . . . . . LOL . . . . .
LOL so much for encouraging words :P :P lol
but is not eveybody nuts going through all the trouble running Linux when there is that other OS where you just have to point and click  . . . . :dl-orange:
hmmm which OS is that Bruno? the same one that offers plug and pray? or should i say cry...seriously if linux cos 100.00 and the other cost 0.00 i would still honestly pay 100.00 ... i never had so much fun with an OS as much as linux, and honestly seems that the only time i touch the other OS is when i have to do reinstalls for neighbours or friends ... and its so much easier today i can still remeber my first linux that came with a book and 300 pg on how to install it and fips was evil back then too :lol: things sure have changed no more :devil: Edited by teacher

Bravo, Steel !! :devil: :lol: ...tried it on my "Slack 10.0" partition, and it was indeed a very simple, effective, kernel upgrade...Thank you very much! :dl-orange:

.tried it on my "Slack 10.0" partition, and it was indeed a very simple, effective, kernel upgrade...Thank you very much! :dl-orange:
anytime my friend, i did this 5 days and tested it out wanted to make sure it was perfect before i posted it, didnt want everyone mad at me :lol: i had no problems at all ....and just be to on the safe side thats why i sugested those backups, but i cant see anything going wrong this way .... never had a problem and it runs sweet :devil:

Also, slackware does have a 2.6 kernel in its tree too, so... this method would probably work as well with that, but i haven't tested it so..http://www.slackware.at/data/slackware-10....es/linux-2.6.7/
hi sonic i am glad that you brought that 2.6.7 kernel up... its also a great kernel .. i should know i had it for the longest time on my vector 4.3 ... thats the standard and default kernel as you can seeeither way you cant go wrong and kernel 2.6.11.2 is running real sweet on this comp :devil: i am also glad that you found that 2.6.7 kernel for the ones that want to go with that one too

Great news:Installed and working

Linux wolf 2.6.11.2 #1 Wed Mar 9 13:40:53 PST 2005 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Mouse wheel works in both directions - only thing is I can't get Nvidia to install now - downloaded latest ones off nvidia site and run thru it's thing and reports to me it is unable to install.Anyone else run into this? I'm using nv as my driver now

hmmmm so I take it I was the only one that had nvidia install issues??
i hope that you get it all sorted out Kelly, as for me i am still searching for a nice logon and logout pic that has something in slack, and wanted to customize that border on that thing whatever you call it, "login & logout thingy" .. would like to add a different color to the border and change its style if i can ....

i know the last post i sound kinda of nuts, cos someone pmed me asking what the heck i was talking about B) i am talking about this thingy whatever you call it snapshot17qf.th.png

I know what you are talking about. Does that make me crazy? Possibly. That is part of the KDE look n feel if you are in kde. You have different presets for the menus - without much of anything fancy there. I find most of them rather boring.

I know what you are talking about.  Does that make me crazy? 
not at all we speak the same language linux :thumbsup:
That is part of the KDE look n feel if you are in kde.  You have different presets for the menus - without much of anything fancy there.  I find most of them rather boring.
yeah i just dont know how to change it, wanted to add a different border around it or change the colors and dont know how to do it, only thing that i could do is change the pic and thats thanks to Brunos help cos i didnt even know where change it before ... and since its kde and doesnt matter if its on slack or my other distros the settings are the same when it comes to this thingy i guess i am stuck with a pretty standard one ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,I read this very interesting subject and I did it. I change my Slack kernel to the vec-2.6.11. but my sound in KDE does not working. I want to ask you that if it necessary to upgrade ALSA too?Nacha

but my sound in KDE does not working.
Do you mean the system notifications only . . . or is all sound gone ?? ( does xmms still play MP3s ?? )Did you also install the kernel-headers ??:drooling: Bruno

Do you mean the system notifications only . . . or is all sound gone ?? ( does xmms still play MP3s ?? )Did you also install the kernel-headers ??:drooling: Bruno

Hi, Bruno,It is only the Sound System. It is an big or huge Hissssssssssssss . My sound car is ensoniq and Alsa configurated it.

Hi LancerIf it are only the system notifications that fail you can try this: ( 2 steps )1). In the KDE Control Center --> Sound & Multimedia --> System Notifications --> button "player settings" . . . set external player to " /usr/bin/play" and apply.2). In the KDE Control Center --> Sound & Multimedia --> Sound System --> Uncheck the box saying "Enable sound system" Then go back to " System Notifications" set it to " KDE System Notifications" and test one of the sounds . . . . ;):drooling: Bruno

Hi LancerIf it are only the system notifications that fail you can try this: ( 2 steps )1). In the KDE Control Center --> Sound & Multimedia --> System Notifications --> button "player settings"  . . . set external player to " /usr/bin/play"  and apply.2).  In the KDE Control Center --> Sound & Multimedia --> Sound System --> Uncheck the box saying "Enable sound system"  Then go back to " System Notifications"  set it to " KDE System Notifications"  and test one of the sounds . . . . ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Hi BrunoMy problem is that I have that HISSSSS sound as my background the system notification works, I have to turns of my speaker because it is annoying. This an for the another about Slack. many days ago i ask you for help and you help me Thanks again :drooling: Lancer

Aaaaaah . . . I get it now . . . . :DThis is because the slider of the Mic is open . . . . most of the times in "aumix" and sometimes in "kmix" . . . . sorry I just booted back from Slackware after my last reply, so I can not check . . . but if you post

$ aumix -q

I can see if aumix is the cause.:drooling: Bruno

Aaaaaah . . . I get it now . . . . :DThis is because the slider of the Mic is open . . . . most of the times in "aumix" and sometimes in "kmix" . . . . sorry I just booted back from Slackware after my last reply, so I can not check . . . but if you post
$ aumix -q

I can see if aumix is the cause.:shifty: Bruno

Hi Bruno,Thanks for the information regardless to Sarge but I have decided to give to Slackware all my second hard drive and learn it. So, Now I have a fresh Slackware 10.1 installation with kernel 2.6.11.11, and KDE as main main WM. I have a question, How do I include in the menu->editors an application? for example LyX? Also, I would to upgrade to Current. It good idea or not ? :( Thanks again :whistling: Edited by lancer

LanserTo add or remove applications to your KMenu, right-click on your KPanel, select Panel Menu and then Menu Editor. This opens up the KDE Menu Editor, which shows your KMenu on the left. You can now click on each program group such as Games or Utilities and see the applications under them. Simply right-click and select Delete on the application you want to remove. To add an application, select the group under which you want it to reside, by clicking on it. You can also create your very own group by clicking on the New Submenu icon on the top toolbar. Now click on the New Item icon in the toolbar, and give your item a name. You’ll also have to give the full path to where the executable of the corresponding application lies. In most cases you’re likely to find your executable files in the /bin or /usr/bin folder. Also if you have Kappfinder 9sometimes called'menu updayr, or menu update tool)Usually in utilities or system you can click find apps, it'should list apps now on menu and you can check the ones you want to apply.If your system has no problems with 10.1 current shouldn't be an issue..Hope this helps

LanserTo add or remove applications to your KMenu, right-click on your KPanel, select Panel Menu and then Menu Editor. This opens up the KDE Menu Editor, which shows your KMenu on the left. You can now click on each program group such as Games or Utilities and see the applications under them. Simply right-click and select Delete on the application you want to remove. To add an application, select the group under which you want it to reside, by clicking on it. You can also create your very own group by clicking on the New Submenu icon on the top toolbar. Now click on the New Item icon in the toolbar, and give your item a name. You’ll also have to give the full path to where the executable of the corresponding application lies. In most cases you’re likely to find your executable files in the /bin or /usr/bin folder. Also if you have Kappfinder 9sometimes called'menu updayr, or menu update tool)Usually in utilities or system  you can click find apps, it'should list apps now on menu and you can check the ones you want to apply.If your system has no problems with 10.1 current shouldn't be an issue..Hope this helps

Hi BarriB,Gracias!!! Thanks!!! :whistling: :(