Lets just say I wanted to install PCLos P8

ross549

Basically, this is for a customer's system. I want to install P8 on the system, but make a bootCD or disk so i can boot into it when required, but not have a LILO menu upon bootup. The main "distro" on this machine is XP Home.How can I accomplish this? :hmm:

Hi AdamInstall the bootloader in the PCLos partition ( you have to install Lilo somewhere because you need lilo.conf set up, 'cause you need to run lilo later . . . see next part ) and not in the MBR . . . then boot from the CD, chroot the PCLos partition and do

/sbin/lilo -b /dev/fd0

( See that there is a floppy in the drive :hmm: );) Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by teacher

Sure you can Adam !!Once booted in PCLos HD-install:

# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk.img  --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk

;):hmm: Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ suroot@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t devpts none /mnt/hda6/devroot@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t proc none /mnt/hda6/procroot@ttyp0[knoppix]# chroot /mnt/hda6bash: /dev/null: Permission deniedbash: /dev/null: Permission deniedbash: /dev/null: Permission denied[root@Knoppix /]#

Same results in P8 and Knoppix..... :hmm:

Edited by ross549

Hi AdamI do not see you mounting:

# mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6

( So /dev/hda6 was not mounted in the first place . . . it mounts automatically if you click on the icon for it, but in the console you first have to mount it "manually" )And I would only use PClos for it because it has the same proc and devpts . . ;):hmm: Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno

From PCLos......

[root@localhost root]# mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6[root@localhost root]# mount -t devpts none /mnt/hda6/dev[root@localhost root]# mount -t proc none /mnt/hda6/proc[root@localhost root]# chroot /mnt/hda6bash: /dev/null: Permission deniedbash: /dev/null: Permission deniedbash: /dev/null: Permission denied[root@localhost /]# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/fd0Ignoring entry 'boot'Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/fd0")[root@localhost /]#

http://www.hk8.org/old_web/linux/lnut/ch04_04.htm

Edited by ross549

Try it this way:

# mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6# mount -t devpts none /mnt/hda6/dev# mount -t proc none /mnt/hda6/proc# chroot /mnt/hda6 2>/dev/null# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk.img  --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk

And after that transfer the rescue.iso over to XP and burn the CD with NeroIf also that fails get out of the chroot ( Ctrl+D ) and please post us that lilo.conf and the fstab

# cat /mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.conf# cat /mnt/hda6/etc/fstab

B) Bruno

Edited by Bruno

Success! :hmm:This has to be the craziest hack I have ever attempted.... but it worked!!http://www.hk8.org/old_web/linux/lnut/ch04_04.htmFollowing this page, I did the following:1.

# dd if=dev/hda of=/boot.lin bs=512 count=1

To copy the boot sector into a file. I put that file on the c:\.2. I edited the boot.ini file:

[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetectc:\boot.lin="Recovery Mode"

and saved it.3. Rebooted. It worked! dd saves the day! B)

Hi AdamGlad you managed to get the job done ! . . . . man this was crazy ! And all that because the change to udev changed the commands we use for chroot !Hi IkerekesThanks for those Tips . . . . I think we need to do something with that post from Texstar B) . . . have a look Here . . there will be a link to it in the index of The Tips ;)B) Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by teacher

Adam!I know you are looking chroot trick, but I couldn't find you on the chat line.http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?m...c=5070&forum=58discribes the trick you have to use with the chroot (add the -o bind option to the /dev mount)Ikerekes
You know, when I was playing around with it this morning... I was wondering if th3 switch to 2.6 and udev wouls have had something to do with it.... but I was able to accomplish the task at hand= boot into the installed P8 without overwriting the MBR. Once I went in and created the boot CD (andf tested it, of course)... I removed the entry from boot.ini, so the customer would have no access to the linux partition.At times like these I have a hard time charging for the computer work i do, because I learn something new! :)BTW, the only reason I wanted linux on the machine was partimage. B)

Adam, Brunowe were looking at all smart and fancy ways to avoid overwrite MBR, and etc.The simplest solution to your problem never occured to anybody (except to Tom Kelly)just don't click on the install button at all. :rolleyes:

LOL . . . . . that is indeed the only correct solutiion . . . . :w00t: :P . . . people that do not want PCLos in their boot menu, should not be allowed to have it installed to HD at all :rolleyes:( or maybe overwrite the MBR and restore the XP MBR after . . see: Here );):o Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png

Edited by Bruno

we were looking at all smart and fancy ways to avoid overwrite MBR, and etc. The simplest solution to your problem never occured to anybody (except to Tom Kelly)  just don't click on the install button at all.  B)
That is how I do it. I always skip the install button. Then I copy my boot files over to Mandrake and add them to my Lilo there. :) I never could figure out what all the gyrations were here because that was not how I do it. :D

LOL . . . . . that is indeed the only correct solutiion . . . . :D :w00t: . . . people that do not want PCLos in their boot menu, should not be allowed to have it installed to HD at all B)( or maybe overwrite the MBR and restore the XP MBR after  . . see: Here )
Bruno.....Did you not see my previous post? I like to do things the hard way! :)

Jot that one down Bruno and remember it for 2005. Always give Adam a way to go in a circle to get from point a to point b. (Ducking for cover). :D :) B)