Firefox & Mulitple monitors

epp_b

I just bought an LCD monitor today, and since I still have a perfectly-working CRT, I got a PCI video card as well, so that I can run multiple monitors with extended desktop.All seems to be well, except for one thing. All of a sudden Firefox is crashing all the time, generating a Talkback window as well as a Microsoft error report. I know that it has something to do witih my new usage of multiple monitors, because it's never crashed at this frequency before (it crashed about five or six times in the last six hours).I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.1 (Yes, I'm upgrading soon) on Windows XP SP2 with all updates. Anyone using a similar setup? What could be causing this?

Guest LilBambi

Might want to get the updates to Firefox since you are three updates behind and see if that helps it before looking to any other problems.Also, do you have the latest drivers for your video card? There was a bug at one time that was in video drivers that actually caused an earlier version of Firefox to crash with no apparent reason. Once the video card driver was updated, Firefox stopped crashing. I read it in a bug report awhile back.

Might want to get the updates to Firefox since you are three updates behind and see if that helps it before looking to any other problems.Also, do you have the latest drivers for your video card? There was a bug at one time that was in video drivers that actually caused an earlier version of Firefox to crash with no apparent reason. Once the video card driver was updated, Firefox stopped crashing. I read it in a bug report awhile back.
This is a pretty old video card (only 4MB), so Windows XP picked it up automatically. There are no specific drivers available that I can find. I will be buying a new, more capable card as soon as possible.I think I've solved the problem already (er...more correctly, found the culprit). I'm working on a PHP script (combined with HTML, Javascript, etc.), and I think my code is causing the crash! I just tried this on another Windows PC with a similar software configuration (XP SP2 w/ all updates; no multiple monitors, Firefox 1.5.0.4) and Firefox crashed there too!I wonder if I've found some sort of exploit... :blink:EDIT: (at least now I know it's not my hardware config :teehee:)EDIT 2: Thanks for the quick reply, bambi! ;) Edited by epp_b

Guest LilBambi

Check your Extensions ... make sure they are the latest versions.I have an older computer PIII 600mhz with 256MB RAM and an older ATI card and no problems with Firefox.If all else fails, you can uninstall Firefox and reinstall fresh. I have had a couple folks that older versions of Firefox tried to make too big a leap forward in versions and it seemed to always create potential crash problems. As soon as we uninstalled Firefox (letting it delete the folder in Program Files) and then reinstalling the newest version from scratch, all worked perfectly for them.Something to try anyway...never know, might just work.

Check your Extensions ... make sure they are the latest versions.
The second PC I tried it on was a completely base install (only the two default extensions: DOM Inspector and and Talkback). I even uninstalled those extensions, and FF still crashes.EDIT: Yikes! It crashes FF in Linux too! (just tested it) Edited by epp_b

I can say with absolute certainty that it's not my multiple monitors causing the problem.

That is so weird. I don't have any problems with Firefox 1.5.x at all in Windows XP Pro, Win98SE, or Linux.
You haven't used my script ;)
Hope you have the latest Java and Flash plugins as well.
Flash, yes. I don't even use Java.Remember, this crashed FF 1.5.0.4 as well.

Not sure what the problem was, exactly, but I did manage to fix it.I'm running a window.close() command within an ajax process (after it's been asynchronously processed and the status is 4). Somehow, this causes FF to crash. As soon as I change it to setTimeout('window.close()', 0); ... no crash!

Edited by epp_b

Not sure what the problem was, exactly, but I did manage to fix it.I'm running a window.close() command within an ajax process (after it's been asynchronously processed and the status is 4). Somehow, this causes FF to crash. As soon as I change it to setTimeout('window.close()', 0); ... no crash!
epp_b, I just used your workaround for a project I'm on. Found this page thru google, used setInterval to call the close command, and Firefox isn't crashing on me anymore. Thanks for posting your fix!~Nate

epp_b, I just used your workaround for a project I'm on. Found this page thru google, used setInterval to call the close command, and Firefox isn't crashing on me anymore. Thanks for posting your fix!
setTimeout() does the same thing. Be careful with setInterval(), because that will cause it to constantly repeat itself. However, because it's closing the window, it's probably OK. But, it's good practice to use the proper function anyway.