Photo

Microsoft December 2017 Security Updates

Today, 03:07 PM

Posted by Corrine in Security & Networking
The December security release consists of 32 security updates in which 20 are listed as Critical and 12 are rated Important. The release consists of security updates for the following software:

Internet Explorer
    Microsoft Edge
    Microsoft Windows
    Microsoft Office and Microsoft Services and Web Apps
    Microsoft Exchange Server
    ChakraCore
    Microsoft Malware Protection Engine

The updates address Remote Code Execution, Information Disclosure, "Defense in Depth" (Note:  "Defense-in-Depth" is a fix that does not apply to an actively exploitable vulnerability but prevents future vulnerabilities caused by the same code when surrounding code changes expose the problem.), Security Feature Bypass, Spoofing and Denial of Service.

For more information about the updates released today, see https://portal.msrc....ary.  Updates can be sorted by OS from the search box. Information about the update for Windows 10 is available at Windows 10 Update history.

Also see this month's Zero Day Initiative — Zero Day Initiative — The December 2017 Security Update Review by Dustin Childs in which he discusses several of the patches.

Release Notes
Windows 10 Update History

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Wipeout

Today, 08:53 AM

Posted by raymac46 in All Things Windows
My wife's friend Shari called about a Windows 10 problem yesterday. According to her she was informed that an update needed to be installed. However she saw no activity so after a while she shut down her laptop. Now all she had was a blue screen.
When I tried a restart I got as far as the welcome screen and then a blue screen with a cursor. I left the machine running about 5 hours with no result. There seemed to be some disk activity but nothing else. I booted the machine with Linux off a USB stick and everything looked fine. I was able to connect to my network via wifi in both cases.
I have never seen anything like this. At the end of the day I did a system reset, reinstalled Windows and got the desktop back. Of course all her software (browsers, Libre Office, CCleaner, Malware Bytes) was lost  So I need to reinstall all that, get her back on her network and reinstall her printer, log her back into her websites, bookmark them and so on.

200 Views · 4 Replies ( Last reply by Digerati )

Photo

Adobe Flash Player and AIR Security Update

Today, 11:17 AM

Posted by Corrine in Security & Networking
Adobe has released Version 28.0.0.126 of Adobe Flash Player and Version 28.0.0.127 of Adobe AIR.  The update addresses CVE-2017-11305, a regression that could lead to the unintended reset of the global settings preference file.

Release date:  December 12, 2017
Vulnerability identifier: APSB17-42
Platform:  Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Chrome OS

Update:
*Important Note:  Downloading the update from the Adobe  Flash Player Download Center  link includes a pre-checked option to install unnecessary extras,  such  as McAfee Scan Plus or Google Drive.  If you use the download  center,  uncheck any unnecessary extras that you do not want.  They are not  needed for the Flash Player update.

95 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 49 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Yahoo, Bing, Google

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS