#1 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,526 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

Unsettling to see NYTimes down - BambisMusings Blog

REPOSTED HERE in full

The NYTimes website has been down some report at or about 11AM this morning, but based on the website isitdownrightnow.com, it’s been down for almost 11HRS.

Posted Image

NYTimes down since 0809 14 Aug 2013 – at this point about 11 hours

So many people around lunchtime were hitting the number one link if you search for nytimes website down (isitdownrightnow.com), specifically their their NYTimes page, that even it appears to be buckling under the weight of all those trying to find out what’s going on and for how long.

I found out about it this morning from all the posts about NYTimes website down, NYTimes still down, there were some funny ones too, but you have to know this is very unsettling to wake up and go looking for a website you see every day and it’s gone without a peep. And no answer on the @NYTimes Twitter account. Finally! @NYTimes actually posted about it:

Posted Image

@NYTimes
The New York Times Web site is experiencing technical difficulties. We expect to be back up shortly.

Hopefully we will find out what happened. Was it a DDoS attack? Malicious SQL injection? Or something less scary?

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,526 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Added some updates to the posting:

Unsettling to see NYTimes down - BambisMusings Blog
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,540 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

huh. i guess they will tell us what the problem was. maybe?
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostTemmu, on 14 August 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

huh. i guess they will tell us what the problem was. maybe?

They will make you pay to find out what the problem was.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#5 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,526 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

:hysterical:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,540 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

:lol: - that's probably true!
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,526 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Would be foolish on their part, though. Transparency is most important for their users.

Not just for registered users, but potential registered users, too.

And their myriad of free users that read articles from searches, etc.

As journalists, they must realize their readers need to know. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nytimes, website, down

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users