Upgraded Laptop Installed win10, LM18.1, & LxLe 16.04.2 RC

mhbell

Taking the advice of Raymac I decided to upgrade the hard drive to a SSD in my HP 17-E117DX It has alway ran like a dog from day one and is very proprietary with UEFI Firmware, and no way to change the way the boot order is because on the next boot it reverts back. There are work arounds, but that is for another post. Here is what I did. I removed the 750 GB hard drive (5400) rpm from the laptop and replaced it with a Samsung EVO 850 250 GB SSD Disk from the Icy Dock in my main computer. I replaced the Firmware in the Laptop upgrading it to T-27 the old was T-24. I then installed Windows 10 and all hardware was recognized and working great. Next I installed Mint 18.1 which stalled during grub install see previous post about grub bug in LM 18.1 after several tries I stopped trying to install LM and installed LXLE 16.04.2 RC which installed with no problem and all Hardware was recognized. After searching and reading logs, I found the problem with Mint and reinstalled it. I now have win 10 LM 18.1 and Lxle RC installed with all of my software and all are running like they should. The laptop now runs like it should with it's anemic Intel i-3. The SSD disk made a lot of difference. Not sure how much the Firmware update did.

Mel

Edited by mhbell
  • Like 1