#1 OFFLINE   Fuddster

Fuddster

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

And by "uncommon" they mean anything other than ext4:

Hi everyone, on Nov. 7, 2018, we’re ending support for Dropbox syncing to drives with certain uncommon file systems. The supported file systems are NTFS for Windows, HFS+ or APFS for Mac, and Ext4 for Linux.

We’ve updated our desktop requirements accordingly here.

A supported file system is required as Dropbox relies on extended attributes (X-attrs) to identify files in the Dropbox folder and keep them in sync. We will keep supporting only the most common file systems that support X-attrs, so we can ensure stability and a consistent experience.

If you received a notification, but are running one of the supported file systems, it's possible that you may have recently had a computer linked that was running an unsupported file system but have been since upgraded, or that computer is no longer being used.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

[Source]
MAXIM 41: "Do you have a backup?" means " I can't fix this."

Posted Image

The Rute Cellar | Fuddster on Twitter

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,742 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:07 PM

That actually makes sense. I would surprised if they didn't support the most popular file systems on all the OSs.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,443 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:10 PM

I didn't receive that notice. The only systems I have using D-box these days are my main and the workshop system (which I haven't turned on in about a year - shame on me). They're both ext4, so no worries; not that I even need D-box anymore these days. It was useful when I first installed it, though. I don't do file sharing or any of that other techie stuff these days. I just go on the Internet to visit with my friends and job hunt... oh, and watch a movie or two from my favorite island nation of Tonga. ;)

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,742 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:13 PM

I haven't used dropbox since their security issue years ago. I use google drive and pay $2.99 a month for 200gb of storage.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   Fuddster

Fuddster

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

It's a minor inconvenience for me because my Dropbox folder is currently sitting in an XFS partition. Fortunately I have a small ext4 partition (still boggles my mind that a 600 GB partition is considered small) available.

It also has me thinking about investigating other solutions
MAXIM 41: "Do you have a backup?" means " I can't fix this."

Posted Image

The Rute Cellar | Fuddster on Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users