installing arch

cybormoron

ok, i'm in the deep water, let's see if i can swim. don't throw me any life preservers till i plead for mercy, ok guys? :thumbsup: i made it this far. this is rc.conf in nano. wish me luck. i think i can figure out the correct entries.40a7c168433441.gif

securitybreach

Sounds good Steve. :thumbsup: I work for a few hours this afternoon but other than that I am completely free today and tomorrow if you should require assistance.

thanks sb. i'm in no hurry or anything i'm just gonna take it slow and study a little bit at a time. it's definitely time i ventured into some deeper water and this looks plenty deep, lol.i am following the arch wiki but there are a lot of little prerequisites i need to catch up on. for example; i've never used nano before. so when i had the rc.conf file open i sat and looked at it for a half hour before i realized i was supposed to enter some info. duh, it's like that for me but i'll quickly get up to speed.i don't think i got the rc.conf file edited correctly but i think i can fix that later. (dhcp error) right now i'm reading the man page for pacman. then i'll check out nano. then i'll go back and figure out what i did wrong with system configuration. (rc.conf) i skipped some info in that i think.i don't know if the internet works. if the internet doesn't work then pacman won't work, correct? so i guess i need to get the correct network values in rc.conf? i'm doing this in virtualbox. is ping the correct test tool? i tried

[root@Tanagra ~]# ping google.comping: unknown host google.com[root@Tanagra ~]#

after that what are some of the first things one should do? i reckon i need to:1. configure repos2. install a GUI3. create a user4. have funhere's a shot of the system booting.97c1d868576299.gifEDIT...ok, i have networking. woohoo. i added a couple of DNS nameservers into resolv.conf. these are the opendns servers.

nameserver 208.67.222.222nameserver 208.67.220.220
google.com ping statistics13 packets transmitted, 13 received, 0% packet loss, time 12021ms
ok, i think that's enough for me tonight. i'll be back. Edited by cybormoron

securitybreach

If you use DHCP, your networking part in /erc/rc.conf should look like this:HOSTNAME="whatever you choose"#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255" -----> commented out with # in front ofeth0="dhcp"INTERFACES=(eth0)gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"ROUTES=(!gateway) -----> Note the ! in front of gateway, this means to skip the gateway section if you do not use a routerIf you have dhcp setup correct, the dns addresses should automatically be in /etc/resolve.conf. You should not have to change them unless you want to use a specific dns server. The reason you had to do that was because you did not have the correct entries for dhcp in /etc/rc.conf. I am off today so I will be around most of the day/night.

leave it to me to do things bassackwards. nobody can screw up a configuration file like i can.i can't post the rc.conf but i do have the correct entries as your example. also the resolv.conf has dynamically updated with the correct entries. so i reckon that issue is done.i'm currently working thru the beginners guide.i had to uncomment a server in the mirrorlist file to get pacman to work. i'm not sure what i did wrong with that but it works.i successfully updated the system with pacman -Syu. so i guess that step is done.i added a user with the adduser script. i hope i have the groups correct. time will tell.currently studying the alsa configuration.i can't wait till i get to the X configuration. i'm an expert there, :o this is how we learn, right?

securitybreach

Hey, you got it going so far. Not too bad. One tip though, after you set up yaourt, you can install pastebinit:

╔═ comhack@Venus 01:19 AM ╚═══ ~-> yaourt -Ss pastebinitaur/pastebinit 0.11-1 (53)	A really small piece of Python that acts as a Pastebin client

Then all you need to do is:

╔═ comhack@Venus 01:20 AM ╚═══ ~-> pastebinit /etc/rc.confhttp://pastebin.com/f35b835a0

Pretty simple, huh? Can be useful in the future once you get Arch up and running. And yes, that is the url for mine.Sorry I just assumed you have used pastebin before, so there might be need for some clarifying . Anyway, pastebin is a website/opensource code collaboration. Basically it is a great place to post code output for someone to view whether it be a configuration files or actual code. The above command posts my /etc/rc.conf configuration to pastebin,com. Definitely a useful script/app.

securitybreach

Also, you posted:

i had to uncomment a server in the mirrorlist file to get pacman to work. i'm not sure what i did wrong with that but it works.
You may want to look at my tutorial starting after rc.conf with pacman near the top.
Since Arch has many different servers to fetch packages from, we will use a built in tool called rankmirrors. This basically goes through all the mirrors and ranks the fastest ones in order. First you will need to install python. Issue the following command:.........
http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=27596The rankmirrors script is very useful to get the fastest mirrors available for your country!!!!!!Also, there is a link in my signature for some of my configurations: /etc/rc.conf, /etc/X11/xorg, ~/.xinitrc etc., if you need a reference. I do not list all of them but just the ones I like to backup.