Yesterday's Weird Finding

raymac46

So I have this crappy old Acer netbook I'm going to upgrade a bit - mainly to get some experience with servicing a laptop. In the meantime I was faced with the problem that the battery would not charge. Two days on the adapter and it was still flashing lights and showing zero capacity.

I figured it was a dead battery for sure. However in looking stuff up on the Acer support site I found a possible cause and solution. Wait for it - you have to upgrade the BIOS.

I was skeptical but it only took a few minutes to download the BIOS upgrade, put it on a USB stick and flash it. After that the battery light glowed steadily and the battery started charging. Within an hour it was back to full capacity.

Why this works I have no idea. Yesterday's weird finding.

securitybreach

It must be a bug in the bios that incorrectly reports the battery level but I do not know why/how it would just magically start doing this..

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Why this works I have no idea. Yesterday's weird finding.

BIOS may control internal hardware regulation of charge voltage... just a guess, though.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

There are some BIOSes that actually can reset battery status, usually with a process, not just with an upgrade to BIOS. That does sound like a BIOS glitch that got fixed maybe?