Contest Trivia Q #3

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Be the first to provide the correct answer to the following and win an ESET license!

With regards to computers, what does the acronym G - I - G - O stand for and where did it first appear?

Contest Rules

Garbage in, garbage out (abbreviated to GIGO, possibly intended to parallel the phrase first-in, first-out) is a phrase in the field of computer science or information and communication technology. It is used primarily to call attention to the fact that computers will unquestioningly process the most nonsensical of input data ("garbage in") and produce nonsensical output ("garbage out"). It was most popular in the early days of computing, but applies even more today, when powerful computers can spew out mountains of erroneous information in a short time. The first use of the term has been dated to a 1 April 1963 syndicated newspaper article about the first stages of computerization of the US Internal Revenue Service.

Guest LilBambi
Thanks but I don't have any use for the prize. Can you put it back in the pot?

We will discuss that possibility for those who just wanted to play but don't want the prize.

You sure you don't have a friend or family member you could give it to, Webb?

redmaledeer

Somewhat related to GIGO: In the early days of computing there was the fairly well-known statement that "computers can calculate faster than an army of mathematicians at desk calculators, but they can also make errors faster than an army of mathematicians at desk calculators." I don't know who said this, or whether it came out before GIGO.