96 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:48 AM

View Postabarbarian, on Jan 19 2011, 09:47 PM, said:

Phew this gets harder and harder.  :bounce: I had to type in " pacman -S smplayer" and make one tweal to said player to be able to view video files(Deinterlace>Lowpass5 + Aspect Ratio> 16.9). Still I supose it was worth it to watch Trinity Blood the anamie. :lol:
For something called "Trinity Blood" I'd come fix your Arch install for you.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#52 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

View Postamenditman, on Jan 20 2011, 01:48 AM, said:

For something called "Trinity Blood" I'd come fix your Arch install for you.
You have a deal. Which airport will you be landing at ? I'll have a car sent to meet you.  :bounce:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#53 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

View Postabarbarian, on Jan 20 2011, 09:44 AM, said:

You have a deal. Which airport will you be landing at ? I'll have a car sent to meet you.  :bounce:
I'll be there shortly. How about Denver?Where is that small cabin, again?Which rocky mountain?

Edited by amenditman, 20 January 2011 - 11:04 AM.

REGLUE

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#54 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

View Postamenditman, on Jan 20 2011, 11:03 AM, said:

I'll be there shortly. How about Denver?Where is that small cabin, again?Which rocky mountain?
Denver  :( is that north or south of Liverpool, Manchester may be nearer.As to the mountain, It is a toss up between Scafel or Inglebrough. :D
Install ARCH

#55 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

:whistling: Up to ep 6 fo Trinity Blood.Now have regulation for the cpu curtesy of lm-sensors and cpufrequtils. Have used powernowd in the past but thought I would try something different for a change.Pc now happy at 1 GHz whilst browsing with auto rampping to 2.9 GHz at full load.Me I'll be happy when I get a desktop thingy to tell me what ny cpu is doing.Conky here I come.Might need to read up a bit more first.   :thumbup:
Install ARCH

#56 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

Up to ep 12 of Trinity Blood  :hysterical: Well I have installed "reflector" and updated me pacman.Tried to get "lightspark" but it is unavailable. So went for "gnash-gtk" which works on youtube but it is slow and runs me cpu at full speed so thats not very good. SMPlayer does the same thing which is also not very good. I might have to try out the Nvidia drivers after all and see if that brings down me cpu usage. I don't like programs that ramp up me cpu for no good reason.   :w00t:
Install ARCH

#57 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

Well I want to play Trinity Blood ep 12 from me pc rather than from me external drive. So I want to transfer the files from the External to the pc.Should be easy.But.I have read up on how to do this with the command line and feel competent enough to do this.However.I'm using Enlightenment and you can not drag and drop hence the command line.Now I'm running as root cos of me login problem. On me desktop I have a folder called "Home" inside it there is a folder called "Desktop"Now I have created some folders and put them on me Desktop and they show up in the folder and the desktop. However I can not figure out how to copy the folder or files I need to "Home" or "Desktop" from /media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood.I can not find "Home" or "Desktop" anywhere in any of the folders at root.Here is just a sample of what I have tried.
[root@myhost home]# cp /dev/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood /homecp: cannot stat `/dev/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood': Not a directory[root@myhost home]# cp /dev/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/ /homecp: cannot stat `/dev/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/': Not a directory[root@myhost home]# cp /dev/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/ /homecp: cannot stat `/dev/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/': No such file or directory[root@myhost home]# cp /devsdf1/media/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/ /homecp: cannot stat `/devsdf1/media/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/': No such file or directory[root@myhost home]# cp /dev/sdf1/media/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/ /homecp: cannot stat `/dev/sdf1/media/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/': Not a directory[root@myhost home]# cp root/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/ /homecp: cannot stat `root/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/': No such file or directory[root@myhost home]# cp /root/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/ /homecp: cannot stat `/root/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/': No such file or directory[root@myhost home]# cp -R /root/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/ /homecp: cannot stat `/root/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity_Blood/': No such file or directory[root@myhost home]# cp -R /root/media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood/ /homecp: cannot stat `/root/media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood/': No such file or directory[root@myhost home]# cp -R /root/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity Blood/ /homecp: cannot stat `/root/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity': No such file or directorycp: cannot stat `Blood/': No such file or directory[root@myhost home]# cp -R /root/media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood/ /homecp: cannot stat `/root/media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood/': No such file or directory[root@myhost home]# cp -R /root/media/sdf1/TOONS/Trinity Blood/ /home
[root@myhost ~]# cd TrinityBloodbash: cd: TrinityBlood: No such file or directory[root@myhost ~]# cd /media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood[root@myhost TrinityBlood]# cp /media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood /homecp: omitting directory `/media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood'[root@myhost TrinityBlood]# cd /home[root@myhost home]# -labash: -la: command not found[root@myhost home]# -lsbash: -ls: command not found[root@myhost home]# -lbash: -l: command not found[root@myhost home]# lbash: l: command not found[root@myhost home]# lsbloodaxe  lost+found[root@myhost home]# cd /Homebash: cd: /Home: No such file or directory[root@myhost home]# cd /Desktopbash: cd: /Desktop: No such file or directory[root@myhost home]#
I know I'm being pretty dumb here can anyone take pity on me and point the way   :hysterical:
Install ARCH

#58 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

The full path is /home/username/Desktop not /home/Desktop and it would be /media not /root/media.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#59 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

[root@myhost ~]# cp /media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood /home/ME/Desktopcp: omitting directory `/media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood'[root@myhost ~]#
This is what I get.   :hmm:If I do this,
[root@myhost ~]# pwd/root
Thats what I get if that helps.  :hysterical:

Edited by abarbarian, 23 January 2011 - 04:35 PM.

Install ARCH

#60 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,548 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

cp -R :hysterical:

#61 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Jan 23 2011, 05:32 PM, said:

cp -R B)
That did it.   :hysterical:
[root@myhost ~]# cp -R /media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood /root[root@myhost ~]#
So now I have a folder called "Home" which has inside it "TrinityBlood" with all me files inside it. Many thanks.I do not undestand how me desktop is starting everything as root. Could it be because I inadvertantly installed Enlightenment as root ?Can you do installs as USER ?If so is it worth while uninstalling Enlightenment and re-installing as USER ?How do I get from "root@myhost" to "USER@myhost" in the command line.I'm using this guide which seems to be pretty new user friendly,http://www.linuxcomm...g_the_shell.php B)
Install ARCH

#62 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,548 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

Installing as root doesn't require the app to be run as root. It just installs the app system-wide, so that all users can access it. For example, if you install joe-blow app as the user, only YOU can access and run joe-blow. However, if you install joe-blow as root, any user can access and run the app. :)About your desktop... no app does anything as root. YOU must be root to do something as root. Are you sure you're not logged in as root? What is the output of this command?
who
I like that site you posted the link to, by the way... Bookmarked. :hysterical:

#63 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Jan 23 2011, 05:11 PM, said:

Installing as root doesn't require the app to be run as root. It just installs the app system-wide, so that all users can access it. For example, if you install joe-blow app as the user, only YOU can access and run joe-blow. However, if you install joe-blow as root, any user can access and run the app. :)About your desktop... no app does anything as root. YOU must be root to do something as root. Are you sure you're not logged in as root? What is the output of this command?
who
I like that site you posted the link to, by the way... Bookmarked. B)
[root@myhost ~]# whoroot	 pts/0		2011-01-23 21:34 (:0.0)[root@myhost ~]#
I have to log in as root as Slim will not let me log in as USER. I can not change to USER as I can not find any info as to how to do this.Yeah I liked the clarity of the information on that site. :hysterical:
Install ARCH

#64 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,548 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Well, I'm sure you've heard all the bad stuff about logging into your system as root, so I won't go there.When you were installing the system, was there a part where you created a user? If not, then you'll need to create one.
adduser
Follow the directions. :hysterical:

#65 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Jan 23 2011, 06:00 PM, said:

Well, I'm sure you've heard all the bad stuff about logging into your system as root, so I won't go there.
Yup I created a user and I have folders for him and all that and I did some stuff as a user.However.I have to log in as root as Slim will not let me log in as USER. I can not change to USER as I can not find any info as to how to do this.I have read loads of stuff on the web but can not find out how to do,How do I get from "root@myhost" to "USER@myhost" in the command line.It is a small gap in me basic knowledge.   :hysterical:
Install ARCH

#66 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,714 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

View Postabarbarian, on Jan 24 2011, 09:11 AM, said:

How do I get from "root@myhost" to "USER@myhost" in the command line.
If you logout of root you should be greeted with a login screen/prompt where you can log in as user.It sounds pretty inconvenient to not be able to log in to your desktop as user.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#67 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

View Postabarbarian, on Jan 23 2011, 05:11 PM, said:

Yup I created a user and I have folders for him and all that and I did some stuff as a user.However.I have to log in as root as Slim will not let me log in as USER. I can not change to USER as I can not find any info as to how to do this.I have read loads of stuff on the web but can not find out how to do,How do I get from "root@myhost" to "USER@myhost" in the command line.It is a small gap in me basic knowledge.   :hysterical:
I don't use SLIM, but...From the ArchWiki for SLIM

AutologinTo make SLiM automatically login as a specified user (without having to type a password) the following lines in /etc/slim.conf should be changed.# default_user        simoneUncomment this line, and change "simone" to the user to be logged into automatically.# auto_login          noUncomment this line and change the 'no' to 'yes'. This enables the auto login feature.
The page is here, https://wiki.archlin.../index.php/SLiM

REGLUE

www.reglue.org

#68 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

View Postamenditman, on Jan 23 2011, 11:31 PM, said:

I don't use SLIM, but...From the ArchWiki for SLIMThe page is here, https://wiki.archlin.../index.php/SLiM
Thanks. I have read all the E17 wiki stuff sevearal times in an attempt to resolve me problem.Auto=login is not really what I am after as it offers no security. I may try it though to see if E will log me in as User and then work backwards to see if I can spot what is happening. -_-Well I tried the auto login instruction but Slim still will not log me in as USER.  :hysterical:

Edited by abarbarian, 24 January 2011 - 09:32 AM.

Install ARCH

#69 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

I think I have found the root of my problem but not the solution.I ran
[root@myhost ~]# nano /var/log/slim.log
And in the 8405 ines of the log I found
/usr/bin/xauth:  file /home/bloodaxe/.Xauthority does not exist/bin/bash: /home/bloodaxe/.xinitrc: No such file or directoryslim: waiting for X server to shut downX: ../../../include/privates.h:122: dixGetPri$/usr/bin/xauth:  file /var/run/slim.auth does not existslim: waiting for X server to begin accepting connectionsX.Org X Server 1.9.2Release Date: 2010-10-30X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-ARCH x86_64Current Operating System: Linux myhost 2.6.36-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 8 14:15:27$Kernel command line: root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/b86ba870-ad49-4ed1-b0cd-ade6fdcf1771 roBuild Date: 01 November 2010  10:29:19PMCurrent version of pixman: 0.20.2		Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org		to make sure that you have the latest version.Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,		(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,		(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jan 23 22:16:20 2011(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"(EE) NOUVEAU(0): Error creating GPU channel: -19(EE) NOUVEAU(0): Error initialising acceleration.  Falling back to NoAccelresize called 1920 1200./usr/bin/xauth:  file /root/.Xauthority does not existESTART: 0.00001 [0.00001] - beginESTART: 0.00015 [0.00014] - signals doneESTART: 0.00021 [0.00007] - determine prefixDYNAMIC DETERMINED PREFIX: /usrESTART: 0.00064 [0.00043] - prefix doneESTART: 0.00075 [0.00011] - eina init
This is the root of the problem I think,/usr/bin/xauth:  file /home/bloodaxe/.Xauthority does not exist/bin/bash: /home/bloodaxe/.xinitrc: No such file or directoryslim: waiting for X server to shut downX: ../../../include/privates.h:122: dixGetPri$/usr/bin/xauth:  file /var/run/slim.auth does not existAnyone got any pointers ?  :hysterical: amenditman - did you get the pm I sent about TB ?
Install ARCH

#70 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,548 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

If you want to kill graphic login, just change edit your /etc/inittab to use run level 3 as the default. Also, if you want to get to a command line prompt once you're already running X, just CTRL+ALT-->BACKSPACE.

#71 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Jan 24 2011, 11:25 AM, said:

If you want to kill graphic login, just change edit your /etc/inittab to use run level 3 as the default. Also, if you want to get to a command line prompt once you're already running X, just CTRL+ALT-->BACKSPACE.
Or you can just stop Slim by doing
/etc/rc.d/slim stop
Also, why do you need a graphical login manager when you can just put in the username and password, then type startx? Instead of jumping through hoops just to login, it is much easier to use the default way of logging in.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#72 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,548 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on Jan 24 2011, 12:17 PM, said:

Also, why do you need a graphical login manager when you can just put in the username and password, then type startx? Instead of jumping through hoops just to login, it is much easier to use the default way of logging in.
Hear! Hear! Spoken like a true Slacker... er, Archer, I mean. :)

#73 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Jan 24 2011, 12:20 PM, said:

Hear! Hear! Spoken like a true Slacker... er, Archer, I mean. :)
Right B) Simplistic is usually the best method of all since there is no need to over complicate things. When I say simplistic, I do not necessarily mean easy. The Arch wiki best explains it:
Arch Linux defines simplicity as without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications, and provides a lightweight UNIX-like base structure that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their own needs. In short: an elegant, minimalist approach.
https://wiki.archlin...hp/The_Arch_Way

#74 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on Jan 24 2011, 02:28 PM, said:

Right B) Simplistic is usually the best method of all since there is no need to over complicate things. When I say simplistic, I do not necessarily mean easy. The Arch wiki best explains it:
Arch Linux defines simplicity as without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications, and provides a lightweight UNIX-like base structure that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their own needs. In short: an elegant, minimalist approach.
https://wiki.archlin...hp/The_Arch_Way
Elegant shmelegant phoowee I like to look at a pretty picture when me pc's waking up. Also you guys "why do you need a graphical login manager when you can just put in the username and password, then type startx? Instead of jumping through hoops just to login, it is much easier to use the default way of logging in."You may want to look at your statment again.On my pc typing my user name and then typing the password is only two steps. Wheras your way I  have to type in an extra "startx" which makes it three steps. That is just a step too far for me.Mind you you may have your pc's set up with some convojiggliated arcane command line wizardry that allows you to do three steps in two. :)
Install ARCH

#75 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

Well I can do it a lot quicker using startx than logging in via a Login Manager. It also cuts down the time getting to the desktop. Of course that depends on your typing speed. I can get to the desktop in 26 seconds.https://wiki.archlin...x.php/Bootchart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users