• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

I'm posting this from my new Arch 64 install with Slim login and E17 desktop and Namoraka browser  :happyroll: Ain't I a clever chappy  :harhar:  It only took me two full days and nights  :hysterical: ;) :hysterical: :hysterical:Would have been quicker but half the symbols have worn of me keyboard and I found it impossible to type with the mouse  :bangin:

Edited by abarbarian, 16 January 2011 - 01:33 PM.

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   SueD

SueD

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

Only two days and nights? You're not done...you've got to break a few things first before you can say you're done. ;)Way to go!
Sue
Registered Linux User #433538
A life? Cool! Where can I download one of those?

#3 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

GreatI look forward to sharing your adventures

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#4 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

I already fixed the GRUB menu showing the wrong hdd  :hysterical:
Install ARCH

#5 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,134 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

Awesome Abarbarian!!!! :thumbup:So how do you like E17? I have not used it in over a year. I wonder if they have good multi-monitor support in Enlightenment?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#6 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

E17 will be ok when I figure out and choose some new themes. Oh and I need to figure out how to make everything bigger as the dock and icons look so small on me 24" Dell   :hysterical:
Install ARCH

#7 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,134 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Yeah I am trying to figure out how to set it up as well.For more themes, you can install the e17-themes package from AUR http://aur.archlinux...hp?K=e17-themes
Posted ImagePosted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#8 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

View Postabarbarian, on Jan 16 2011, 01:58 PM, said:

E17 will be ok when I figure out and choose some new themes.
I know what ya mean.  I enjoy using E17 (using it here in PCLOS) a lot more once I played around with different themes and found some that work well for me.You folks here (and at a few other Linux forums) are starting to get me interested in Arch.

#9 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on Jan 16 2011, 03:00 PM, said:

Yeah I am trying to figure out how to set it up as well.For more themes, you can install the e17-themes package from AUR http://aur.archlinux...hp?K=e17-themes
Them last few PCLinuxOS magazines had really good E17 articles. Well worth a look. I'm too info flooded to look at the moment. Left click on desktop, Shelf settings, highlightshelf in new window, click settings and you can do allsorts to the shelf. :hysterical: Mine is now darkish blue and auto hidding and just the right size  ;) saturian : the time has arrived to try a real os  :hysterical:
Install ARCH

#10 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,134 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

View Postabarbarian, on Jan 16 2011, 01:41 PM, said:

Them last few PCLinuxOS magazines had really good E17 articles. Well worth a look. I'm too info flooded to look at the moment. Left click on desktop, Shelf settings, highlightshelf in new window, click settings and you can do allsorts to the shelf. :hysterical: Mine is now darkish blue and auto hidding and just the right size  ;) saturian : the time has arrived to try a real os  :hysterical:
Sounds good, I will have a look at the articles after work later tonight.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

View Postabarbarian, on Jan 16 2011, 02:41 PM, said:

saturian : the time has arrived to try a real os  :thumbsup:
That's what they all say!

#12 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

You may want to read Jeff Hoogland's latest blog about Enlightenment Modules.http://jeffhoogland....nt-modules.html

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#13 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

View Postamenditman, on Jan 16 2011, 06:44 PM, said:

You may want to read Jeff Hoogland's latest blog about Enlightenment Modules.http://jeffhoogland....nt-modules.html
Read them a while ago and they helped me make me mind up about E17. :thumbsup:
Install ARCH

#14 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

View PostSueD, on Jan 16 2011, 02:32 PM, said:

Only two days and nights? You're not done...you've got to break a few things first before you can say you're done. ;)Way to go!
Ok I'll fess up. I do have a little glitch to iron out.   :thumbsup: I can only log in to Slim as root. If I try to log in as ME I get " Failed to execute Log In command"   :w00t: Had a good look around but can not seem to see what the problem is. I checked and it looks like I have created a user ME as I have a ME folder.An ME has a password in /etc/shadow so it looks like ME is valid as a user.Any ideas folks.   :">

Edited by abarbarian, 16 January 2011 - 07:15 PM.

Install ARCH

#15 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,134 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

Can you post your /etc/slim.conf ?Also, look here https://bbs.archlinu...ic.php?id=84313
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

# Path, X server and arguments (if needed)# Note: -xauth $authfile is automatically appendeddefault_path        /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bindefault_xserver     /usr/bin/Xxserver_arguments   -nolisten tcp vt07# Commands for halt, login, etc.halt_cmd            /sbin/shutdown -h nowreboot_cmd          /sbin/shutdown -r nowconsole_cmd         /usr/bin/xterm -C -fg white -bg black +sb -T "Console login" $#suspend_cmd        /usr/sbin/suspend# Full path to the xauth binaryxauth_path         /usr/bin/xauth# Xauth file for serverauthfile           /var/run/slim.auth# Activate numlock when slim starts. Valid values: on|off# numlock             on# Hide the mouse cursor (note: does not work with some WMs).# Valid values: true|false# hidecursor          false# Path, X server and arguments (if needed)# Note: -xauth $authfile is automatically appendeddefault_path        /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bindefault_xserver     /usr/bin/Xxserver_arguments   -nolisten tcp vt07# Commands for halt, login, etc.halt_cmd            /sbin/shutdown -h nowreboot_cmd          /sbin/shutdown -r nowconsole_cmd         /usr/bin/xterm -C -fg white -bg black +sb -T "Console login" $#suspend_cmd        /usr/sbin/suspend# Full path to the xauth binaryxauth_path         /usr/bin/xauth# Xauth file for serverauthfile           /var/run/slim.auth# Activate numlock when slim starts. Valid values: on|off# numlock             on# Hide the mouse cursor (note: does not work with some WMs).# Valid values: true|false# hidecursor          false# This command is executed after a succesful login.# you can place the %session and %theme variables# to handle launching of specific commands in .xinitrc# depending of chosen session and slim theme## NOTE: if your system does not have bash you need# to adjust the command according to your preferred shell,# i.e. for freebsd use:# login_cmd           exec /bin/sh - ~/.xinitrc %sessionlogin_cmd           exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session# Commands executed when starting and exiting a session.# They can be used for registering a X11 session with# sessreg. You can use the %user variable## sessionstart_cmd      some command# sessionstop_cmd       some command# Start in daemon mode. Valid values: yes | no# Note that this can be overriden by the command line# options "-d" and "-nodaemon"# daemon        yes# Available sessions (first one is the default).# The current chosen session name is replaced in the login_cmd# above, so your login command can handle different sessions.# see the xinitrc.sample file shipped with slim sourcessessions          enlightenment,xfce4,icewm,wmaker,blackbox# Executed when pressing F11 (requires imagemagick)screenshot_cmd      import -window root /slim.png# welcome message. Available variables: %host, %domainwelcome_msg         Welcome to %host# Session message. Prepended to the session name when pressing F1# session_msg         Session:# shutdown / reboot messagesshutdown_msg       The system is halting...reboot_msg         The system is rebooting...# default user, leave blank or remove this line# for avoid pre-loading the username.#default_user        simone# Focus the password field on start when default_user is set# Set to "yes" to enable this feature#focus_password      no# Automatically login the default user (without entering# the password. Set to "yes" to enable this feature#auto_login          no# current theme, use comma separated list to specify a set to# randomly choose fromcurrent_theme       default# Lock filelockfile            /var/lock/slim.lock# Log filelogfile             /var/log/slim.logApologies fore the long copy but I did not know which bit you wanted to see. :thumbsup:

Edited by abarbarian, 17 January 2011 - 12:26 PM.

Install ARCH

#17 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,134 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

Ok, looking over it now. Also, could you post your ~/.xinitrc file? Does the command startx start your environment? I am trying to see if it is a Slim configuration issue or a ~/.xinitrc issue.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on Jan 17 2011, 02:18 PM, said:

Ok, looking over it now. Also, could you post your ~/.xinitrc file? Does the command startx start your environment? I am trying to see if it is a Slim configuration issue or a ~/.xinitrc issue.
My actual ~/.xinitrc,#!/bin/sh## ~/.xinitrc## Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)# exec gnome-session# exec startkde# exec startxfce4# ...or the Window Manager of your choiceexec enlightenment_startStarting E17If you use startx or a simple Display Manager like XDM or SLiM, add or uncomment the following command in xinitrc:exec enlightenment_startSingle environmentsTo configure SLiM to load a particular environment, edit your ~/.xinitrc to load your desktop environment:#!/bin/sh## ~/.xinitrc## Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)#exec [session-command]SLiM reads the local ~/.xinitrc configuration and then launches the desktop according to what is in that file. If you do not have a ~/.xinitrc file, you can use the skeleton file by:$ cp /etc/skel/.xinitrc ~Looks the same as the wiki examples so I'm a tad confused.I think I have followed the Arch wiki install to the letter. An I have only pacmaned Slim,FF,E17 + E17 extras, as far as I can remember. Any changes I made and tried I went back and undid before trying anything else. A bit long winded but at this stage it is helping me learn. Ta for taking the time to help. :yes:
Install ARCH

#19 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,134 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

Give me a minute to look around.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,134 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

OK, your ~/.xinitrc is fine. I just tried it via startx and E17 loads. So it has to do with your configuration file.  Off to research more.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,134 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

Ok, last resort, can you post as root:
# cat /var/log/slim.log | tail
So we can see the error it is generating.Reading this post https://bbs.archlinu...c.php?id=108117
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,576 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

You know, since Anarchy (the philosophy) expounds on the advantages of no ruling authority, it would be more accurate to state that Anarchy Self-Rules!HAHA! :yes: OK, I'm off to find a life now...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,134 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Jan 17 2011, 01:39 PM, said:

You know, since Anarchy (the philosophy) expounds on the advantages of no ruling authority, it would be more accurate to state that Anarchy Self-Rules!HAHA! ;) OK, I'm off to find a life now...
:yes: Right!!I have never used a login manager on Arch, so I am kind of "shooting in the dark", per say.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,134 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

I know you followed the wiki to the "t" but they may have missed something as well. I have found numerous posts in the Arch forums and elsewhere but nothing really popped out to me while looking over your config and .xinitrc file.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Jan 17 2011, 03:39 PM, said:

You know, since Anarchy (the philosophy) expounds on the advantages of no ruling authority, it would be more accurate to state that Anarchy Self-Rules!HAHA! :lol: OK, I'm off to find a life now...
You seem to be an expert on Anarchy  ;) Did you perhaps find that life here,http://www.anarchy-o...=1003,1005,1028 :yes:
Install ARCH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users