The Linux Command Line ebook

securitybreach

securitybreach
51vgLTkNsIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Linux Command Line

A Book By William Shotts

New! Second Internet Edition Available Now!

Designed for the new command line user, this 537-page volume covers the same material as LinuxCommand.org but in much greater detail. In addition to the basics of command line use and shell scripting, The Linux Command Line includes chapters on many common programs used on the command line, as well as more advanced topics.

• Released under a Creative Commons license, this book is available for free download in PDF format. Download it here.

• The book is also available in printed form, published by No Starch Press. Copies may be purchased wherever fine books are sold. No Starch Press also offers electronic formats for popular e-readers.

• Find it at your local library.

http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

• Like 1

Great reference, Josh- thanks! I'll be spending some time in there. I snarfed that one up in a few milliseconds! Heh!

Have been doing more command line stuff lately. I found a couple of great commands that exercise your hard

drive and give you a report on it- how fast it moves data, drive health, how many hours on the drive, etc.

This can be very handy when you come into a used drive, usually cheap or free, and want to know if there's

anything shaky about it.

I've already been into file management a good bit, but usually by graphical methods. Some day I may start to

get the hang of permissions and some other basic stuff like that. My mentor way back in my Win98 days

taught me to understand and use file management. I think he cut his teeth on DOS. Anyway, he said there

was great power in mastering file management. He was right, of course...

• Like 1