• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,255 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:33 PM

Thirteen security updates took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to download and install along with 3 reboots to get it all done. Yeah... I still love Windows. Umm-hmm...

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hello,

That sounds like a lot of updates!  Was that just one month's worth of updates for Windows 10?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP (Windows - IT Pro)

Facebook Google+ personal blog personal website Twitter

#3 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:52 AM

Sounds like you may have gotten the Creator's Update if we are talking Windows 10. I haven't had that pleasure yet. I got 3 updates recently, security stuff mostly.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#4 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 23 June 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

Thirteen security updates took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to download and install along with 3 reboots to get it all done. Yeah... I still love Windows. Umm-hmm...

Posted Image

Only three reboots , blimey you were lucky. :whistling:
It is 7 you are using ?
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,255 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

Yes, Win 7 Enterprise. It had been about 1 year since my last update session. I gave up on updating this OS back then because MS' servers were creepy-crawly slow back then for some reason or another. The downloads this time took about 25 minutes, but all the installing, errors, returning to restore points, reboots, retries, etc. added up to the remaining time that I spend to accomplish this.

It's done now, though. There really wasn't a need to do these updates at all. My installation of 7 is crippled (no networking enabled), so security issues while being exposed to the Internet are extremely rare for this OS. Actually, the ONLY time I access the Internet with this operating system is when I get around to updating. The rest of the time the OS has ZERO access to the Internet/Ethernet.

#6 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:46 PM

Hello,

I tend to patch Windows systems on a monthly schedule--sometimes more frequently if an out-of-band patch is released.  Otherwise, like you found out, the patches begin to stack up and take a while to process.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP (Windows - IT Pro)

Facebook Google+ personal blog personal website Twitter

#7 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:20 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 24 June 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

Yes, Win 7 Enterprise. It had been about 1 year since my last update session. I gave up on updating this OS back then because MS' servers were creepy-crawly slow back then for some reason or another.

I think that was to do with some buggy patches MS sent out and you had to jump though hoops to sort it. They fixed it eventually with further updates and it is now business as normal.

:breakfast:

I run 7 almost the same as you except I log in to Steam and download CCCleaner and Nvidia and security program updates. I never ever surf or do anything else.
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:51 PM

In 2016 Microsoft released a Convenience Roll-up update that had every update up to April 2016. Some people colloquially call this Service Pack 3. o:)
https://support.micr...-server-2008-r2

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users