#1 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

AOL Gold offering 30-day free trial and $3.99 per month thereafter
https://franscompute...nth-thereafter/
The article gives a little perspective of AOL/America Online over the years and where they are going now that the are a division of Verizon Communications, along with a bit of online history and where AOL fit in ... at least from my perspective.
Has links to AOL Desktop Gold and where I got some of the info.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#2 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Ah the memories. When I first got online in 1996 it was with a (wait for it) 14.4 Kbps dial-up modem. I had a choice of several online providers and went with Prodigy. You could get on the Web back then with Prodigy's own browser, but 90% of what you did was with their own services and protocol (NAPLPS.) It was a closed system really.
I stayed with Prodigy until they closed down in 1999 and then I switched to a local ISP and used TCP/IP - still with dial-up although by then I was chugging along at a robust 56 Kbps. My daughter had much better T1 broadband at her university dorm. I think that was around 1.5 Mbps at the time.
In the early 2000s I got DSL and at the time I think that was 750 Kbps or so - a huge upgrade. Now I'm up to 100 Mbps and that is quite slow compared to what some of you folks get in the US.
Here is a good article about Prodigy from the Atlantic:
https://www.theatlan...hey-die/374099/
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users