Mozilla Firefox Version 55 Released With Significant Changes

Corrine

Mozilla sent Firefox Version 55.0 to the release channel today. Firefox ESR was updated to version 52.3. There is no mention in the Release Notes of security updates. However, there are major changes that will affect users:

1. Warning: via ghacks.net, "Firefox 55.0 breaks compatibility with older versions of the browser and Firefox ESR. Users who want to downgrade are advised to back up their profiles prior to installing the update." See "Changed" below.
  2. Important Note: Although installations of 32x will upgrade with this version, the 64x version is now default on 64x systems with 2GB RAM. Starting with version 56, Firefox will "silently and forcibly auto-upgrade" users running the 32-bit version of Firefox on 64-bit computers with more than 2GB of RAM to the 64-bit version. The next scheduled release is September 26, 2017 (5 week cycle with release for critical fixes as needed).
  3. Adobe Flash Player is now click-to-activate.
  4. Also see the following about add-ons in Firefox Version 57: Firefox add-on technology is modernizing

Release Notes

• Like 3

UPDATE: At the time of publishing the Release Notes, there was no indication of security fixes included. In the interim, however, the Release Notes have been updated and Version 55 includes five (5) critical, ten (10 high, seven (7) moderate and six (6) low security updates.

Security Advisories

• Like 1

I haven't been able to update through the software so far. FF reports 54.0.1 as being up to date. Will check again today.

EDIT: FF 54.0.1 still reports itself as up to date. I downloaded and installed 55.0 from Mozilla's site.

Edited by ebrke

I've that from others as well. In fact . . .

Firefox has been updated to version 55.0.1. The release notes for Firefox version 55.0.1 were published about 8 hours ago. The update contains bug fixes. However, the internal updater still isn't finding the update. To get the update now, go to the Release Notes page and click the "Update Firefox" link below "Your Firefox is out-of-date." to download the installer.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I haven't been able to update through the software so far. FF reports 54.0.1 as being up to date. Will check again today.

EDIT: FF 54.0.1 still reports itself as up to date. I downloaded and installed 55.0 from Mozilla's site.

Elizabeth, I'm assuming you're talking about updating via the browser's update tool in WINDOWS here because I KNOW that you know that you cannot use the browser's update tool within Linux. Right?

Yes, talking about mother's laptop which runs win7. OpenSUSE delivers their own FF security updates, not corresponding to Mozilla's own version numbers. I'm up-to-date with all security patches from OpenSUSE, but FF says I'm running 52.3.0. Only problem with that is my bank's website constantly warns me that I'm running an outdated browser and I continue to ignore them.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...