Compiz + Ubuntu + Me = :'(

Rin

Compiz looks really cool so I went to install it using these directions:http://knowledge76.com/index.php/XGL/Compiz_Nvidia_32bitNow I am using Ubuntu 6.06, a 32bit processor, and a nvidia video card so i think this is the right page but every time I try to start it the display manager opens and my title bar disappears. In the terminal i get:compiz.real: No XKB extensioncompiz.real: couldn't load plugin 'gconf'Then my desktop eventually locks up and I have to do a ctrl+alt+backspace. :(Also my numpad has stopped working since I installed it (even when compiz hasn't been turned on).I looked online for about 2 hours and couldn't find anything. If anyone has an idea it would be very thankful.thanks

Hi RinI would first disable Compiz: please rename the /usr/bin/compiz-start file ( you could use the Live CD to do it ):

$ sudo mv /usr/bin/compiz-start  /usr/bin/compiz-start-BACKUP

and see if that gives you the ability back to a normal boot.:) Burno

UPDATE:Have been thinking about this . . and I would like you to have a look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ( once you are able to boot Ubuntu after the advice I gave in the post above ).Have a look if in the xorg.conf file you can find, in the Section "Device" the line reading Option "HWCursor".If the line is indeed there, please change it to Option "SWCursor".After the change you can restore the backup of the /usr/bin/compiz-start and see if Compiz behaves any better:

sudo mv /usr/bin/compiz-start-BACKUP  /usr/bin/compiz-start

:D Bruno

Here is my xorg.conf file:

Section "ServerLayout" Identifier "Default Layout" Screen "Default Screen" 0 0 InputDevice "Generic Keyboard" InputDevice "Configured Mouse" InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents" InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents" InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"EndSectionSection "Files" # path to defoma fonts FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc" FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic" FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled" FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled" FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1" FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi" FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi" FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"EndSectionSection "Module" Load "i2c" Load "bitmap" Load "ddc" Load "extmod" Load "freetype" Load "glx" Load "int10" Load "type1" Load "vbe" Load "xkb"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Generic Keyboard" Driver "kbd" Option "CoreKeyboard" Option "XkbRules" "xorg" Option "XkbModel" "pc104" Option "XkbLayout" "us"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Configured Mouse" Driver "mouse" Option "CorePointer" Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice" Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" # /dev/input/event # for USB Identifier "stylus" Driver "wacom" Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to Option "Type" "stylus" Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLYEndSectionSection "InputDevice" # /dev/input/event # for USB Identifier "eraser" Driver "wacom" Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to Option "Type" "eraser" Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLYEndSectionSection "InputDevice" # /dev/input/event # for USB Identifier "cursor" Driver "wacom" Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to Option "Type" "cursor" Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLYEndSectionSection "Monitor" Identifier "WDE LCM-17w7" Option "DPMS"EndSectionSection "Device" Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV31 [GeForce FX 5600]" Driver "nvidia" Option "RenderAccel" "true" Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"EndSectionSection "Screen" Identifier "Default Screen" Device "NVIDIA Corporation NV31 [GeForce FX 5600]" Monitor "WDE LCM-17w7" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Depth 1 Modes "1280x1024" "1280x800" "1280x768" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 4 Modes "1280x1024" "1280x800" "1280x768" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 8 Modes "1280x1024" "1280x800" "1280x768" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 15 Modes "1280x1024" "1280x800" "1280x768" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 16 Modes "1280x1024" "1280x800" "1280x768" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 24 Modes "1280x1024" "1280x800" "1280x768" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSectionEndSection
Sorry its so long I didin't know a better way to post it. I don't see the option you mention should I add the SWCursor option?

Sorry its so long I didin't know a better way to post it.
No problem . . . . I knew what was coming :D
I don't see the option you mention should I add the SWCursor option?
Nope . . if it is not there it is not needed.I wonder what script butchered your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ? Looks like a real mess. Anyway . . I would change the line:
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
to
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "false"
And keep enjoying Ubuntu but forget about GLX-Compiz.Remember it is only beta software ( also a gimmick ) and apparently it does not want to behave nicely on your computer. Better wait for it to mature and have more support for different hardware. ;):) Bruno

Hi all!I hope Rin won't mind me using his/her thread since my problem is alike. I tried compiz also some days ago into Linux Mint ( or is it Mint Linux ) before Bruno's warning. It messed up my distro badly. I did managed, however, to have it back, more or less. The only things are these;1. When I boot into Linux Mint ( and remember that it is my main bootloader but I can boot into all the other distros no problem ) I end up with a prompt;

root@rejean-desktop:~#

If I type 'startx' I get;

startxbash:startx:command not foundroot@rejean-desktop:~#

Now I tried both 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' and 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' and in both cases I get a 'command not found' message.Here is the funny thing, however. If I type in 'reboot' then I get a login prompt and if I type in 'rejean' and my password and 'startx' I am back into a GUI. I had done one of the 2 above commands 'dpkg-reconfigure...' at some point.The other thing is that when I open FF ( and possibly Konqueror) where I am now I get a window but the top bar ( where one could either close, diminish or resize is not present. And the Gnome top bar is hidden.I can click on File ( the Menu bar is present in FF ) and 'quit' but that's all I can do. Am I gonna have to reinstall?P.S. Just rechecked Konqueror and it opens 3/4 full on the bottom right with no title bar ( or whatever it is that would allow me to close it by clicking on the 'X' in the upper right.

Edited by réjean

Hi RéjeanIf the command "startx" is not found then something important is wrong . . .

Am I gonna have to reinstall?
. . . . sorry :hysterical:;) Bruno. . . . . . . Wishes.png.