Photo

Fiber to the Home

Today, 07:42 AM

Posted by raymac46 in Security & Networking
Interesting article on how Canadian telcos are planning the task.

https://beta.theglob...rticle36366245/

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

My Life with Laptops

22 Sep 2017

Posted by raymac46 in Hardware
Yes I'm typing up this post on a laptop - my wife got to the desktop first.
But the truth of the matter is I've never been all that happy with laptops. During my working life when I had a computer at all it was a desktop - only computer illiterate managers got laptops back then. I got a head office hand-me-down usually.
My first home laptop was also my first home windows PC - an 80286 12 MHz that ran DOS. It had a battery meltdown (literally) and destroyed itself after a few years. Then I went a long time before getting another.
My second one was a tank-like 1997 Compaq Armada that I used with Vector Linux. This was in 2008. It probably would still work but there ain't many useful distros today that run on a Pentium II 266.
Next I had a 32 bit Atom netbook - slow, weak and underpowered. Thank goodness for Linux. I also at one point inherited another 32 bit netbook my daughter hated. I could see why.
Finally around 2011 I got a real notebook. Unfortunately this one had an AMD P920 Phenom II quad and discrete AMD video - it worked OK with Windows 7 but eventually heat had its way - the video chip got desoldered from the board and that was that.
Its replacement is a Lenovo Flex2 15D APU which runs fine. It's also AMD but a lot better design. It's slow because of a 5400 RPM hard drive that I may replace some day - or not. I would have to tear the machine apart to get at the hard drive.
Then there's my collection of wounded puppies - an HP my daughter dropkicked off the bed a few times that I have in the workshop, and a 2010 Toshiba 64 bit netbook my neighbor gave me - that one my wife took away to use at her mother's house in Kingston.
And finally I have my test machine - a nice old Thinkpad that flies with Debian Sid. That is what I'm using now.
So totalling it all up I have had 9 laptops in 25 years. The majority were junkers I recycled with Linux. Only the Thinkpad approaches my desktops in quality of experience. Did I mention I've never been all that happy with laptops?

179 Views · 16 Replies ( Last reply by securitybreach )

Photo

Oracle Java™ Platform, Standard Edition 9 Released

Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Posted by Corrine in Security & Networking
Oracle released Java™ Platform, Standard Edition 9, 64-bit only, for Windows 7, Windows 8x, Windows 10 as well as Windows Server 2012,  Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016 R and Windows Server 2016 R2.  The update includes security enhancements.

For browser support as well as Linux, Solaris and Mac OS X, see Oracle JDK 9 and JRE 9 Certified System Configurations Contents. Java Version 9 is not compatible with Windows XP or Windows Vista.  

Oracle does not plan to migrate desktops from Java 8 to Java 9 through the auto update feature.  Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you uninstall JRE 8 prior to updating.

Download Information

Notes:

• UNcheck any pre-checked toolbar and/or software  options  presented with  the update. They are not part of the software  update  and are completely  optional.  
  • Verify your version:  http://www.java.com/...ad/testjava.jsp.

Note
    :    The Java version verification page will only work if your browser has NPAPI support.  In that case, to check the version, open a cmd window  and enter the  following (note the space following Java):   java -version

37 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 83 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Yahoo, Google, Bing

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS