• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

TalkingArch Tutorial – Basic Installation (2014)

This is a 44 minute talk through for installing TalkingArch. I am suitably impressed knowing how hard it is to install Arch, especially if you are not a experienced linux geek. :Laie_95:

Another article for installing TalkingArch, this time in a virtual machine via a supplied script.This sounds easier than a normal Arch install. :breakfast:

Arch Linux Virtual Machine Creation Script (2015)

Some people have been asking about trying Arch Linux without giving up their current configuration. For You, I have created a script that will help to set up a talking VM. Any virtual machine program should work, but here is the process for using VMWare Player.

Speakup can get a bit chatty while everything is installed. To make it go silent, press numpad insert+numpad enter. This is a toggle, so to make speakup read normally again, simply press the key combination again. For laptop users without a numpad, capslock+enter will do the same thing.
Simply follow the instructions, and in just a few minutes you will have a talking arch virtual Machine to play with.

Edited by abarbarian, 02 February 2015 - 08:29 AM.

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#52 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:12 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 02 February 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

As to " meh" well there is very little difference between ArchBang and the EvoLution live disc that Josh posted about several weeks ago. Except that ArchBang has already chosen a WM/DT whereas with EvoLution you get to choose. :breakfast:

Actually that is not true. Evo|Lution doesn't use custom repositories, enable AUR by default in pacman, have a presetup /etc/sudoers.d/ or have a keybind for pacman -Syyuuf (a very bad command to run) and other autoconfigurations that ArchBang has.

The whole point of Arch is to have complete control, and responsibility for your system: a prebuilt system doesn't do that for you.

Evo|Lution is literally just an installer for Archlinux and invokes the same exact commands as you would manually to install Vanilla Archlinux. Granted it is a bit cheating but you have an actual Archlinux installation and not a derivative.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#53 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:03 PM

Evo/Lution sounds like a good way to go. I'll probably try it out, whenever I do another Arch installation. But I might be just as well off following my own Arch installation notes, at this point.

#54 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

View Postsaturnian, on 02 February 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

Evo/Lution sounds like a good way to go. I'll probably try it out, whenever I do another Arch installation. But I might be just as well off following my own Arch installation notes, at this point.

I am only going to try EvoLution as a research project not because I am lazy :happyroll:

Ah ha did not realise all that stuff about ArchBang. There is only sketchy information about the distro out there and I could not access the forums to have a more in depth read which I found strange as I was trying from a linux box with FF. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#55 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

From their wiki:

Q. What is the difference between Arch Linux and ArchBang?

A. Arch Linux is an independently-developed i686/x86-64 community distribution, based on a rolling-release model and targeted at competent GNU/Linux users. Arch provides a minimal environment upon installation, (no GUI), compiled for i686/x86-64 architectures. Arch is lightweight, flexible, simple and aims to be very UNIX-like. Its design philosophy and implementation make it easy to extend and mold into whatever kind of system you're building - from a minimalist console machine to the most grandiose and feature rich desktop environments available.

ArchBang is a derivative (spinoff) of ArchLinux using a minimal Arch system and adding the Openbox Window Manager with ArchBang scripts and configuration files. ArchBang is a separate entity to Arch Linux and is in no way affiliated. All Archbang specific questions should be addressed in the ArchBang Forum.

With Arch Linux, there is still a fair amount of post-installation work to be done to build a functional desktop environment once the base Arch system is installed. With ArchBang, the installation includes the base Arch system and Openbox desktop environment and the ArchBang user skips the post installation work to have a functional desktop. This has been a point of contention between Arch and ArchBang.

http://wiki.archbang...and_ArchBang.3F

Bold and underline are my edits. B)

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#56 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Yeah I spoted that but it gives no detail just broad generalisations, unlike your Post 52. o:)
Install ARCH

#57 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 03 February 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

Yeah I spoted that but it gives no detail just broad generalisations, unlike your Post 52. o:)

I was able to find that out via experience with both, a few searches and this post

#58 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 02 February 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

View Postabarbarian, on 02 February 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

As to " meh" well there is very little difference between ArchBang and the EvoLution live disc that Josh posted about several weeks ago. Except that ArchBang has already chosen a WM/DT whereas with EvoLution you get to choose. :breakfast:

Actually that is not true. Evo|Lution doesn't  have a presetup /etc/sudoers.d/

Evo|Lution is literally just an installer for Archlinux and invokes the same exact commands as you would manually to install Vanilla Archlinux.

In the light of new evidence and after some great detective work it seems that the above rebuke is not pertinant to my original claim. :devil: :Muahaha: :tease: :Laughing:
Install ARCH

#59 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

Arch Linuxhas won theFree Software Award (2015)

Whoopeee  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :whistling:
Install ARCH

#60 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:00 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 13 February 2015 - 08:06 PM, said:

Arch Linuxhas won theFree Software Award (2015)

Whoopeee  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :whistling:

What are you talking about?  Archlinux was not mentioned in that link and if your referring to the satire post, that was a post from 2012.

#61 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:04 AM

Hmmmmm. The article I linked to is a 2015 article. :yes:

An if you click on "ARCH LINUX" you are taken to the Arch home page.

An if you click on "FREE SOFTWARE AWARD" you go to a FSA wiki page.

An if you click on "has won the" you are taken to the article.

:clap2:

Edited by abarbarian, 14 February 2015 - 07:05 AM.

Install ARCH

#62 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 14 February 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

Nope, that is a repost from 2012: http://novemberain44...h-linux-as.html

#63 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 14 February 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

View Postabarbarian, on 14 February 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

Nope, that is a repost from 2012: http://novemberain44...h-linux-as.html

http://www.linuxveda...y-distribution/

Linus Torvalds awarded Arch Linux as the most consumer friendly distribution

By Swapnil Bhartiya -
Feb 11, 2015

Well me link seems to indicate the article is a 2015 variety. Which may contain elements of a repost. :whistling:
Install ARCH

#64 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 14 February 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:

Well me link seems to indicate the article is a 2015 variety. Which may contain elements of a repost. :whistling:

I talked about it in the other thread, the entire article (word for word)is a repost from a 2012 April Fool's Day joke.

#65 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

He changed the date of the article so I cannot link to the old one but look at the post from 2012 that links to the "new" article: http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/57162

Either tuxmachines knows the future or I am not crazy (or both).

#66 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

He used the text from an older article and added new pictures and posted it on a different site so therefore it is a new article posted in 2015.
I fully realised that it was a April Fools joke from 2012.

:whistling:
Install ARCH

#67 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

1+ Year Running Arch Linux on a Lenovo Yoga 2 (2015)

:whistling:
Install ARCH

#68 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

Arch Linux on Raspberry Pi 2 (2015)

As its name might suggest, RaspArch is an ARM operating system derived from the lightweight and powerful Arch Linux distro. It boasts a custom Linux 3.18.11 LTS kernel and LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment).

http://raspex.exton.se/?p=61

RaspArch is a “remaster” of Arch Linux ARM. The original compressed system is of 231 MB. After I have added the LXDE Desktop environment, Firefox and Gimp the system increased to 665 MB. RaspArch is a “ready-to-go” ARM system. It must be installed on a Raspberry Pi 2 computer.

Wonder how it runs ? An he could have used Window Maker to give it that extra snap. o:)
Install ARCH

#69 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:53 PM

I would of thought that Lxde would of been lighter than WindowMaker. I use lxde on my B+ (512mb)

#70 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 19 April 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

I would of thought that Lxde would of been lighter than WindowMaker. I use lxde on my B+ (512mb)

Less thought more research :harhar:

Posted Image

7 Mb is why I keep banging on about Window Maker for the Pi but nobody listens to me :whistling:
Install ARCH

#71 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 20 April 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

View Postsecuritybreach, on 19 April 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

Less thought more research :harhar:

7 Mb is why I keep banging on about Window Maker for the Pi but nobody listens to me :whistling:

Glad to see my favorite environment(i3wm) is really low on usage (3mb)

I may just switch to i3 on my RPi as I run it on my netbook, laptops and my desktops.

#72 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

Openbox.

#73 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

View Postsaturnian, on 20 April 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

Openbox.

Whats this Deal or no Deal ? :Laughing:
Install ARCH

#74 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:05 AM

How to deploy a web application quickly with Ubos on Raspberry Pi (2015)

Ubos, which translates to "You are the boss", is a platform to help intermediately skilled users set up a home server and deploy web apps on it in a most automated way. Ubos puts you in the driver seat without knowing the details of the motor. On the other hand, it does not keep you from exploring the depths of the system.
Ubos is based on Arch Linux. Do not let this scare you away. Ubos reduces administrating the platform and deploying web apps to a mere handful of commands. That also means there is no GUI, it is simply not needed.

Install ARCH

#75 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 20 April 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

View Postsaturnian, on 20 April 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

Openbox.

Whats this Deal or no Deal ? :Laughing:

??

You like Window Maker. I prefer Openbox. Whatever.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arch, linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users