virtual emulator "close" button

saturnian

Most of the time, I use the exit command to close a virtual terminal emulator window. Any reason not to use the "close" button instead? I mean, if there's no command still running. Hm, or Ctrl+D is another way to do it, looks like.

Edit: Dang it, I mean to type "terminal emulator." Possible to change the title of this thread?

Edited by saturnian

I use the sudo -i command to get root access for updates and dist-upgrades. If I use the close button in root I get static about processes still running, whereas if I exit from the command line I do not. So I usually just exit.

• Like 1

Doesn't really matter which you use. I do Ctrl-D if my hands are on the keyboard, Close button if on the mouse (if there's a process running, a box will pop up and just select Close Anyway).

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, folks. I didn't do a very good job with web searches at first but I get the picture now, I think. I've been using "exit" almost all the time for so long without even thinking much about it.

Lol, the reason I even thought about how often I was using "exit" was because a few weeks ago I stumbled upon one of those commands for showing a list of which commands I use most frequently. Can't recall where I saw that originally but it was like some of the commands shown here: https://askubuntu.co...nds-in-terminal

And, exit has been my most frequently used command! That's what got me wondering...