Google paying users to track 100% of their Web usage via little black

securitybreach

securitybreach

Wow, seriously?????

Google is working to collect information about Internet users that it can't get from just monitoring its own browser, services, and Android devices. The company has set up a new program called Screenwise, which offers money to users who install a black box on their home network to "measure Internet use." A smaller amount of money will go to those who install a browser extension on their computers that will do the same thing.

Google quietly started up the Screenwise data collection program Tuesday night, taking the e-mail addresses of people who are interested in "add[ing] a browser extension that will share with Google the sites you visit and how you use them." For their participation, Google offers the extension users a $5 Amazon gift card for signing up and another $5 gift card for every three months they stay with the program. Less publicly, Google also started looking for people who would install a piece of hardware on their network to do more extensive monitoring....

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/0...e-black-box.ars

This is probably the only time that you will be compensated for your browsing habits.

Would I do it? Hmm..... its a few extra bucks. I don't know. I certainly have nothing to hide.

Adam

Could be a real money spinner. Are they offering the money per pc, per google account , per browser used, per os used etc etc .With ten different os's you have a handy 50 dollars :whistling:

I would sign up for this if Google only used the data internally. But since they're doing it with a partner, I'm not really that interested.

V.T. Eric Layton

The best way to do this would be to sign up and install their little box on a separate system, not you main system. Surf on the Google box when you want to make a buck or two. Don't do anything to give away your normal browsing habits while on that Google box, though. For normal Internet usage go to main system. :)

Guest LilBambi

There were 'shopping' companies that wanted you to install toolbars that did that crap supposedly for 'research' purposes and you would get paid. I see this as the same kind of intrusive crap. I would never sign up for this unless I had a separate computer on a separate internet connection for just this purpose LOL!

Course that would cost more than they would be willing to pay AND they would not get the kind of data they are looking for to sell to partners so it wouldn't be fair to anyone; but mostly me.

So, no dice. "Ain't gonna happen."

:hysterical:

It's amazing what people will do for a few lousy bucks. There's no way in heck that I would ever allow Google to place software/hardware in my home to track surfing habits. I don't have anything to hide either. But there is fine a line they've crossed in privacy. Google can go KMA.

It's not like Google is doing this secretly, though. It's voluntary and the terms are disclosed. They're offering you compensation for it.

Guest LilBambi
It's not like Google is doing this secretly, though. It's voluntary and the terms are disclosed. They're offering you compensation for it.

Regardless, it's a do no evil thing. They make it sound like this is a good thing and it's not. It is privacy invasive and could be downright dangerous (banking, stocks, credit cards, etc.), and no where do they even acknowledge that fact.

And they do follow your SSL'd surfing as well. People really need to wake up and smell the coffee here.

I don't know, they do say (in the ars screenshots, at least) that they'll try to remove personal data. They do disclose it, it seems like. Which is also why I wouldn't do it!