All I want to do is play a game

Robert

I had a rough day. I want to play a game to relax.

But Ubuntu had updates today. After a reboot it goes to the sign-in screen, I enter my password, the screen goes blank for a few seconds, it plays a drum role, and goes back to the sign-in screen. 30 minutes later I decide it is another lost cause so boot into Windows 10.

I got into a game but the lag made it unplayable. Tried another and another, too laggy to play. Windows 10 is downloading updates on my limited bandwidth so playing a game is impossible. No way to throttle it or turn it off.

So I don't get to unwind or relax tonight.

When I have time I'll reinstall Ubuntu and then spend many hours over the next week configuring it. Then I will try to block microsoft updates on the router. They have ruined things for me far too many times. All I want to do is relax tonight but it won't happen.

Ah, yes, bad computing days, I can relate to that. I'm stressing about just how much I want to do to my mother's win7 computer with MS's new method of supplying updates, checking to see if her Bluetooth is one of the versions that Intel won't offer an updated driver for if I break the Bluetooth by installing the only MS update that will guarantee I can check for things like .NET security patches using Win Update and not having the machine spend a week "checking for updates". Meanwhile, thank heavens, OpenSuSE keep chugging along giving me security updates that don't break anything, at least not yet.

V.T. Eric Layton

It's a sad state of affairs when security updates trash an OS like this.

Ah, yes... just such a lethal update back in '06 on Win XP was the catalyst (straw that broke the camel's back) for making GNU/Linux my primary operating system.

Thank you, Microsoft, for making that happen for me. :)

• 2 weeks later...