Ximian

nilson

Is there any chance that I can get the Ximian Desktop in Mandrke 9.1? It's not listed as a supported distro, but there must be a way! Besides, Mandrake and Red Hat are pretty similar, right?

I think you are going to be very disappointed. It will stop when it gets to the installer because it is not a supported version. To give you an idea, I went and tried to do red carpet in 9.2. It downloaded but it would not do the install correctly even though 9.1 was supported. When it gets the mismatch on the version it will not work so don't waste your connection on something that you won't be able to use. :D

It should show up as an optional WM where ever Drake lets you choose your WM (log in...desktop picker...). I don't have Drake, so I'm not sure where you select the WM, but it should be there. When you first log in under Ximian, it will give you the option to make it the default desktop.

Try going to your /home directory, select "show hidden files" and see if there are directories like "gnome2", "metacity". If they're not there, it sounds like Ximian didn't install properly. Sorry, but I don't have any more suggestions. :angry:

I already had Gnome 2.2. Is Ximian an add-on to Gnome or something? And yes, /.gnome2 is in there, but I'm not sure about /.metacity - I don't feel like turning that system on to see right now.

XD2 is based on Gnome, so your files might be related to your Gnome 2 WM. Not sure what else to suggest at the moment. I'll look around and see what other "evidence" I can find.

nilson, are you sure you downloaded and installed XD2?I am asking since I am running Mandrake and it just wouldn't let me pick XD2 as it's not supported but let me download red carpet and Evolution.Maybe you mixed up these with XD2??Did you notice long download?Jeber reported XD2 size about 800 Mb's and you said it is only 17 Mb's so that could be your problem.

I screwed up the size in a couple of posts, I think. I only checked the full file size maybe twice during a 10 hour d/l, and at first I remembered it as 800MB. Thinking about it later...I realized just how huge that is! I think maybe it was actually 300+MB. That day, my d/l speed was only 10-15kbs...but I'm too tired to do the math. Still, I'm thinkin' 300. But, yea, 17 wouldn't be close, lousy memory or not. :angry:

Well, I just tried it on Mandrake 9.1 and it let me install the latest version of Evolution and RedCarpet but that was all XD2 wasn't in the list of things to download. It's a bit confusing though as the website makes you think that by following the procedure outlined there (typing wget... etc in a console to kick off the install) will install XD2. However, in Mandrake it appears it doesn't (even though it does successfully detect it as an OS during install).Chris :angry:

It's a bit confusing though as the website makes you think that by following the procedure outlined there ...will install XD2.  However, in Mandrake it appears it doesn't (even though it does successfully detect it as an OS during install).
If you open the script it runs you will see it simply tells it to identify the distro, not to exit out. I am sure as demand increases, they will probably add more distros in as available. B)