• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• securitybreach

• Tushman

• réjean

• V.T. Eric Layton

It runs well in ArchLinux.
I tried the AUR version in 64 bit Arch but it did not run. I think that as I am running in root and with a patchwork os it is my fault. So it is good to know that for a properly set up arch it will work. :unsure:

securitybreach
It runs well in ArchLinux.
What is the name of the package? I did a couple of searches but could not find it. :wacko:Found it:
╔═ comhack@Cerberus 11:44 PM╚═══ ~-> packer -Ss iron-binaur/iron-bin 14.0.850.0-1	A browser based on Chromium without Google's 'tracking features'

I kept searching for srware :unsure: :whistling:It works beautifully on my Arch x86_64 machine.

What is the name of the package? I did a couple of searches but could not find it. :wacko:Found it:
╔═ comhack@Cerberus 11:44 PM╚═══ ~-> packer -Ss iron-binaur/iron-bin 14.0.850.0-1	A browser based on Chromium without Google's 'tracking features'

I kept searching for srware B) :whistling:It works beautifully on my Arch x86_64 machine.

I searched in vain for "iron" and had to trawl through manually to find " iron-bin " :unsure: Iron bin , that's where the washing goes isn't it :rolleyes:P.S. you must have a beautiful Arch 64, sigh weep sigh :lol: Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Well I have been using if for a few minutes and besides the branding, I have not noticed any visible changes. It seems to work great (extensions as well) and I am going to continue to use it until I either find a flaw or it does not keep up with the current chromium source. 627741153649353.jpg

So it is good to know that for a properly set up arch it will work. ;)
I wouldn't go that far. Stuff works, mostly. I have broken more than my share of this install.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have been using Iron on a daily basis since I fist posted and I must say that it is a very slick and fast browser. I would be using it as my main browser but there appears to be a glitch when using Xmarks with it, messing up syncing with the server from what I have read. Haven't had the time to investigate so this issue might have been resolved by now.

I can not do without my bookmakers at the moment and would be distrought if I lost all of them. I am considering using the portable version of Iron on a usb stick as my permanent browser backing up its files automatically with Karens replicator for Windows and a cron job in Arch.

B)

securitybreach

I have also been using Iron as my main browser ever since Abarbarian posted about it. I have only had a few issues here and there, nothing major or that different from regular chrome. :thumbsup:

securitybreach
Is there any way of turning off animated .gifs in Iron?

Since Iron is just google-chrome with some of the tracking removed and other privacy stuff added, the configurations are the same as in chrome. This extension may be what you are looking for: http://www.simplehelp.net/2011/08/04/how-t...-google-chrome/

Everything is pretty the same thing in Iron as it is in Chrome: all the extensions work the same, same preferences, etc.

FWIW: I've experimented with SRWare Iron + Chromium in Win7. The extensions one would use for Google Chrome also work in both others, no problem. However, fact is that Chromium gets multiple daily updates (!) while Iron only gets updated when there's a new Google Chrome version out (not a Beta, but an official release). That is, when downloading Iron from its mothership.

Another thing is: I have had a couple of Chromium updates completely blowing up the application to a state in where it wouldn't work. So I always kept a few versions as back up. (really simple to do, just extract the older version again to the folder in where your latest chromium did reside. It will then overwrite the contents. However, your bookmarks and prefs will be there ready to be used. They are saved elsewhere.)

securitybreach
Cool beans! The last time I looked at Chromium, either that extension wasn't available or (==>) I couldn't find it (

Thanks, Josh.

Anytime B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Sadly, I'm just too attached to FF and all my fav extensions. I don't want to relearn a new browser right now. I would like to see a screenshot, though... anyone? Please. :)

securitybreach
I would like to see a screenshot, though... anyone? Please. :)

Here ya go:

6fc79e156474381.jpg

It looks identical to Google Chrome except for the branding, the tracking stuff excluded, adblock built in, etc.

As mentioned before, iron is noticably fast but seems to eat up resources.

proceses.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks as if it is showing an individual process for each tab opened where is FF does not. Seemed odd. Not that it is a big deal because I will continue to use FF because I like FF. Like Eric, I don't really want to try and learn a new browser. I could not even find a icon or link to go back to my set home page. Faster yes, but not a fan. ;)

All the best,

Ian

Edited by ichase

securitybreach
I could not even find a icon or link to go back to my set home page. Faster yes, but not a fan. ;)

You should see a home icon on the left side of the browser besides the Front/Back arrows. As far as setting the home page, click the Wrench icon the far right of the browser and select preferences.

proceses.th.jpg

All the best,

Ian

What do you mean by "eat up resources". All applications eat up some amount of memory; that is unavoidable. If you're implying that it is a memory hog by posting the screenshot, you'll need to post more details. At the time you took that screenshot, how many tabs did you have open in Firefox and how many tabs for SRWare Iron? I did a little test here myself to see just how much of a memory hog SRWare is because I have reason to doubt your assertion that it eats up too many resources. To be fair, I loaded up 4 websites in Firefox (SNF's forum was just one of them) and then I loaded those exact same 4 websites in SRWare.

memcomparisontaskmanager.png

Firefox ~152,000 K (128,000 + Plugin container 24,000 K) **

SRWare ~134,900 K (6 separate processes as shown in task manager)

** with add-ons enabled.

So it seems it's on par with Firefox's in terms of memory usage.

I've been using SRWare since it was mentioned by Corrine on this forum a while back. I can't remember exactly when but I have tried various versions of it for about 1 year now. The latest version is by far the fastest. I like the way it renders pages and it might be even faster than the latest version Palemoon. I've been using it on a few rare occasions, but much like Eric, I have been such a long time Firefox/Palemoon user that I am not switching over.

Edit:

It is obvious but still worth pointing out that my task manager screenshot was for Windows only. It goes without saying the numbers (for Linux versions of Firefox & SRWare) will slightly vary. I still can't believe that it will vary to such a significant degree that SRWare is going to come out as an ugly pig eating up more than its fair share of resources.

Edited by Tushman

ditto here Tushman, I had zero, nada, zilch problems with either Iron or Chromium regarding to 'eating resources' on Win7. Off course they consumed resources, but not as much as FF did.

proceses.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks as if it is showing an individual process for each tab opened where is FF does not. Seemed odd. Not that it is a big deal because I will continue to use FF because I like FF. Like Eric, I don't really want to try and learn a new browser. I could not even find a icon or link to go back to my set home page. Faster yes, but not a fan. ;)

All the best,

Ian

I believe I read somewhere that Iron/Chromium run the different tabs as seperate processes to prevent them from interfering with each other and for added security. I wish I could remember where but it has been about a year since I did any reading about Iron.

Edited by amenditman

I believe I read somewhere that Iron/Chromium run the different tabs as seperate processes to prevent them from interfering with each other and for added security. I wish I could remember where but it has been about a year since I did any reading about Iron.

There's a good and simple explanation why Chrome runs tabs in separate processes.

Tabs are allocated into separate processes, typically shared per domain. These are called “renderer” processes. Renderer interprets the HTML layout and handles the bitmap for displaying the page. It runs in a sandbox (known as Chrome or outer sandbox) and has limited access permissions. It cannot open files or network connections and can only respond to communication requests by the browser. Communication is done via a combination of IPC techniques. Using sandboxed renderers ensures that if one tab misbehaves or crashes, the rest of the tabs and the browser are isolated. It also limits the ability of malicious software running in one tab from accessing activity in another tab or interacting with the rest of the system.

We use separate processes for browser tabs to protect the overall application from bugs and glitches in the rendering engine. We also restrict access from each rendering engine process to others and to the rest of the system. In some ways, this brings to web browsing the benefits that memory protection and access control brought to operating systems.

Excerpts taken from:

http://www.chromium.org

There's also a blog by Marc Chung that has a good explanation:

Chrome's Process Model Explained

Tushman,

As I am always the first to admit when I am wrong, touche my friend. :) The fact that iron runs tabs in seperate processes fooled me into initially believing it was using more juice. Either way as mentioned before, nice to have another browser installed but until FF does something to seriously miff me, I will remain loyal. :thumbsup:

firefox_logo.png

All the best,

Ian

Edited by ichase

YO, Tushdude! Don't get to see you much around these parts. ;)

Yes well, believe it or not, rabble rousers is one of my favorite pastime activities and since you guys are the most active on the SNF, I thought what better place to come and take some notes. I'm a bit disappointed so see that there are no cheap beer, no vodka, no wild women and no singing. By the way, I know all you guys are closet Windows freaks - so.... it's ok. Your secret is safe with me. :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update. A new version was released which includes some performance improvements as well as security fixes. (link is only for Windows users. See my note below).

I was trying to find a change log on their website but could not find one. The best thing I could find was the information on their forums here.

We released the new Iron 15 today, which contains all features and updates known from Chromim 15. The current version is 15.0.900.1.

Main improvements:

- Clearer "New-Tab" Page

- improved Performance

- many security fixes

I find that SRWare renders images better than Firefox et al.

Click for the full size image.

srwaresnapshot.th.png

I made a mistake in posting the link for the Windows installer. An updated Linux version has not yet been released.

Edited by Tushman