ApricityOS

raymac46

I tried out this Arch based distribution in VirtualBox but it didn't work that well for me, unfortunately. I downloaded both the GNOME and Cinnamon based distros to try.

The Installer worked OK, but I had big time problems after that.

The traditional way of installing the guest additions from the VirtualBox ISO failed; when I rebooted the virtual machine locked up and I couldn't get past the GDM greeter. I tried the Arch Linux way of installing virtualbox-guest-utils and enabling vboxservice.service and after another reboot the Guest Additions worked. However the system didn't survive a series of updates with a new kernel. In both the case of Cinnamon and GNOME distros the virtual machine failed to launch (kernel modules failed to load - dead stop.) Don't know why since DKMS built the new virtualbox module for the new kernel.

The initial launch screen doesn't give the option of a command line so I couldn't get into the system at all and I wasn't in the mood to try chrooting in from the ISO.

As a distro I'd say that Apricity lacks the polish of Manjaro, but doesn't work as well as Arch itself. The lack of Xfce as a default desktop means it's hard to get it working well in VirtualBox. Cinnamon was complaining about the lack of 3D capability. Also without the Guest Additions you get a (wait for it) 640X480 display. Welcome to the 90s.

When I had the Guest Additions working briefly I definitely preferred the GNOME desktop (and I don't usually.) The Cinnamon rendition looks very primitive in comparison to what you get with Linux Mint.

ApricityOS is still in beta and I think I'll wait for a final release before I give it another spin. It might work OK if you installed it on the rails but Manjaro is streets ahead for that application - in my view at least.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

Well apparently the same problem tht was affecting my Arch Linux video in VirtualBox was causing the problems I had with Apricity. I tried the same workaround and now I have Apricity big bold and beautiful (Gnome Shell) in my Linux VirtualBox.