Audio Driver Issues (ArchLinux)

Dr. J

Everything on my laptop was working perfectly until today, seemingly out of the blue (will I was running ALSA audio mixer), the built in speakers stopped working and I got a weird buzz out of them. I initially assumed it was a hardware fault, but, after booting into an Ubuntu live disk, I found that they worked perfectly. I then booted back into Arch, reinstalled alsa-firmware, pulseaudio and pulseaudio-alsa, and ran alsa mixer again (un-muting everything). This fixed most of the problem, as I have audio back, but I'm still getting the buzz, which is rather awful at times, but goes away when I plug in external speakers or mute the master volume. Could this be an issue with the audio driver? Is there a way to reset the config, or a proprietary driver I can install for my sound card?

Here is the relevant output from lspci:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

securitybreach

Did you make sure the mic level isn't up too high as that will cause a buzzing (feedback)?

Also, there is no proprietary intel driver to install.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Is there a way to reset the config, or a proprietary driver I can install for my sound card?

You could try running

alsactl restore -P

Have you tried moving /var/lib/alsa/asound.state to another location (I say move instead of remove as its always good to backup a config you change)?

• Like 1

Did you make sure the mic level isn't up too high as that will cause a buzzing (feedback)?

That was exactly the problem! I must have pushed that slider up as well as master and speakers after switching back from HDMI audio output (I was watching Star Wars). Thank's for brining this to my attention, I had always assumed audio input and output hardware were kept separate enough to avoid interference.