Fedora Core 6 install Instructions

Bruno

I wrote up a few instructions for people wanting to install Fedora 6 and have trouble with choosing an existing partition . . . and installing the bootloader in the / partition instead of the MBR.Please help me correct this one befor I post it in The TipsINSTALLING FEDORA CORE 6( Short instructions )Please first read the releasenotes: RELEASE-NOTES-en_US.html- Install1st screen: The welcome screen Press Enter2nd screen: Install or UpgradeMy choice was "Install Fedora Core", Press Next3rd screen: Partitionsscreenshot-0003.png <------- Click to enlargeIf you are using existing partitions, do as in the screenshot and change the box to "Create custom layout" and Press Next4th screen: The partition toolscreenshot-0004.png <------- Click to enlargeHighlight the partition you want to use and click the Edit button and you will see:screenshot-0005.png <------- Click to enlargeIn the pop-up select the mount point ( / ) and check the box to format the partition, then Press OK5th screen: Bootloaderscreenshot-0006.png <------- Click to enlargeATTENTION: If you want to add fedora to the bootloader of another distro, please install the fedora grub in the / partition: check the box "Configure advanced bootloader options" and Press NextIf you want to use the Fedora bootloader the default settings are fine.6th screen: Install the bootloader record onIn case you did choose "Configure advanced bootloader options" in the 5th screen you get:screenshot-0007.png <------- Click to enlargeHere you can check the box that will install the grub bootloader of Fedora in the / partition ( in the example above it is /dev/hda11 ) . . this way you can easily add it to the to the bootloader of the distro you are currently using. Press Next7th screen: Network Devicesscreenshot-0008.png <------- Click to enlargeIf you use DHCP . . . accept the default and Press Next8th screen: Locationscreenshot-0009.png <------- Click to enlargeThis is where I live . . . . Change yours to suit your location and Press Next9th screen: The Root Passwordscreenshot-0010.png <------- Click to enlargeType in the root password twice and Press Next10th screen: Packagesscreenshot-0011.png <------- Click to enlargeDo like in the screen shot, "Office and Productivity" is checked by default, choose "Software development" as well and Press NextNOTE: If you want KDE, check the box "Customize now" and in the next screen you can check the box for KDENOTE 2: When choosing "Fedora Extras" you need a fast broadband connection because it will download a lot of files from the FTP server and this might be a major increase of the time your install will take.11th screen: Now the install really starts.screenshot-0012.png <------- Click to enlarge. . . . when finished you have to reboot and after rebooting you will get stage 2 of the install and it will let you create a user with user password. ( see next post )

STAGE 2 FEDORA 6 INSTALLAfter rebooting you will get a few more screens, here is what I did on my install, sure you are free to use different settings yourself:12th screen: Welcome.Press Forward13th screen: Licence agreement.screenshot-0102.png <------- Click to enlargeCheck the box "Yes I Agree to the Licence Agreement" and Press Forward14th screen: Firewall.screenshot-0103.png <------- Click to enlargeI use a hardware firewall . . . so I disabled the software firewall Fedora offers.15th screen: SELinuxscreenshot-0104.png <------- Click to enlargeMy experience with SELinux was not always a joy . . so I changed it to "Permissive"16th screen: Date and Timescreenshot-0105.png <------- Click to enlargeCheck if the time is correct and Press Forward17th screen: Create Userscreenshot-0106.png <------- Click to enlargeType the username and password and Press ForwardThat was the last screen . . you will now be able to login and do the updates :DB) Bruno

Bruno,The above is correct for 100%, however: I would not check the Extras option during install because all those packages will be fetched online ... The installer asked me if it was OK to go and get them online and if I had my internet connection up and running, which was indeed the fact. I tested this as I installed it exactly the way you explained above and the option Extra's checked was the reason for taking very very long to install : please note I'm using an ADSL2 connection, that means really high speed at 20MB account, not the more commonly 4,6 or 8 MB here in the netherlands. The problem was the lousy server at the other side.One could always install the Extra's after the initial install for ex. by fetching the necessary packages from nluug. (which I had to do today to fetch me some more packages: the fastest connection on earth :thumbsup: = nluug)Please have alook at this post from me:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=204826as a reference.

Hi StrikerI did an FTP install ( nluug ) . . . took only one hour, so I had no idea the "extras" would be a problem when on slow connection :DI will make changes . . . and read your link.Right now I am working on the screenshots of the second stage of the install :DB) Bruno

Hi StrikerI did an FTP install ( nluug ) . . . took only one hour, so I had no idea the "extras" would be a problem when on slow connection :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Hi StrikerI changed that section for the Fedora extras . . . . . and did add "stage 2" of the install, please have a look if you can find any mistakes.:thumbsup: Bruno

No, nothing wrong. Only one sidenote: SELinux: I opted for disabled because I'm the only one using the machine. (using router too, but still opted for the firewall to be "on" but of course NO servers. So all the checkboxes below that in the firewall screen were UNchecked.)I think in these two cases it comes down to personal preferences.