HowTo Create and Use Mandrake Update CD

Owyn

This procedure describes HowTo- Create a Mandrake 9.2 update CD- Add the CD as a permanent update media- Add the original source as an additional update mediaThe procedures have been tested on Mandrake 9.1 (create CD) and Mandrake 9.2 (original ISO).Any updates will be applied to this initial post. Questions anyone?Note: This post last updated 2003-11-20 21:22 EST to improve/correct CD addmediaTo create the CD

# Create the CD - This procedure uses a new temporary directory to download the update files# and create the ISO for burning. The recommended ftp site for the files is ftp.nluug.nl.##  Create and change to new directorymkdir updatetmpcd updatetmp# Retrieve the update files using wget. This will create a Mandrake directory tree.wget  -nH  --cut-dirs=5  -r  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2# wget finished - should have about 378MB of downloaded files.# check downloaded file sizedu# check md5sums of all downloaded files# change to 9.2 directorycd Mandrake/updates/9.2# check all files. Should show OK for all files.md5sum -c md5sums# return to tmp directorycd ../../..# create ISO for burningmkisofs -R -o update92.iso Mandrake# burn the CD# first check your recordable device. On my system the device is 0,0,0cdrecord -scanbus# Now burn itcdrecord  dev=0,0,0  update92.iso##################### Finished on source system# Remove CD and mount in primary cdrom drive when 9.2 system booted####################

To use the CD

# On Mandrake 9.2 system# Make sure new Update CD inserted after boot# In konsolesuurpmi.addmedia  --update  Update92CD  removable://mnt/cdrom/updates/9.2/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz# That is it. The CD is now available as an update source

Now. MCC->Updates and apply all updates.And finally, to add ftp.nluug.nl as an additional update source. The Update92CD is removed and re-added as a regular source. Files will be downloaded from the CD in preference to the net where applicable.

# Make sure you are connected to the Internet before using this proceduresu# First remove the Update92CD as an update source and re-add it as a regular sourceurpmi.removemedia Update92CDurpmi.addmedia Update92CD removable://mnt/cdrom/updates/9.2/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz# Now add ftp.nluug.nl as an up to date update sourceurpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ with ../base/hdlist.cz

Edited by Owyn

You were quick.  I was going in to make code blocks and there they were!  Great minds think alike!  :thumbsup:
I just put in some other changes. Leave the edits to me and we should not get conflicting changes.

Owyn,As soon as the howto is bullet-proof and bugfree, we will have to post a link in the adoption thread. The adopters can then make such a CD for their adoptees . . . . just waiting until you are finished editing, give it a few days . . . :lol::thumbsup: Bruno

Owyn,As soon as the howto is bullet-proof and bugfree, we will have to post a link in the adoption thread. The adopters can then make such a CD for their adoptees . . . . just waiting until you are finished editing, give it a few days . . .  ;)B) Bruno
No additional edits expected. But...I decided to post it now instead of waiting for new ISOs so that any questions could be resolved before the procedure is needed.BTW, one additional feature of this procedure is that the Update CD also contains the 21mdk kernel source.

Bruno:Looks like I was wrong about having multiple update sources. Need to finish testing but it looks like the correct final procedure is going to be:-remove the UpdateCD as an update source-add the UpdateCD as a normal sourceand then-add the ftp update source (along with the other sources).Found the problem when I was installing 21mdk.

Owyn,Just checking if I get this right:So you add the Update CD as normal source . . . . . and call it updates-CD ? . . So you can find the packages in the "add spoftware" > "packages by medium repository" > "updates-CD" ? . . . How will you know what packages you need for your configuration ?See, the update button makes a list of the software on your PC and compaires it with the updates . . . then it displays only the updates needed for the software installed on your PCB) Bruno

Edited by Bruno

Owyn,Just checking if I get this right:So you add the Update CD as normal source . . . . . and call it updates-CD ? . . So you can find the packages in the "packages by medium repository" > "updates-CD" ? . . . How will you know what packages you need for your configuration ?B) Bruno
I call it "UpdateCD" to give it a unique name, ie. it becomes something like plf/Thacs, etc.The beauty is that urpmi is aware of which packages are available from the CD and will go to the CD for either "software installs" or "updates" in preference to ftp from the net.The current info from the net will describe which updates are applicable.

The beauty is that urpmi is aware of which packages are available from the CD and will go to the CD for either "software installs" or "updates" in preference to ftp from the net.
Got it !! Good thinking !B) Bruno

PS: Owyn, you will have to add a last remark to your original post then: They have to be conected even if they do the updates from CD, so the 'MCC-updater' can select where to get the updates from CD or ftp.B) Bruno

PS: Owyn, you will have to add a last remark to your original post then: They have to be conected even if they do the updates from CD, so the 'MCC-updater' can select where to get the updates from CD or ftp.B) Bruno
You don't need to be connected to do the first update. All the info is on the CD. You will need to be connected for future updates after the update_source has been switched to the net.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to do some system rebulds which involved re-install of Mandrake 9.2. Thought I would double check the update CD I had just created before sending it to my adoptee. The CD should also speed up my installs.Got a couple of screwy problems. During the process of testing I determined that the addmedia for the CD could be improved.Change has been made on the header post.I also ran into an intermittent problem with urpmi.addmedia saying it could not mount the media. It may allready have been mounted.Not sure what exactly was causing the problem, but, the following seemed to fix it.# su# umount /mnt/cdrom# The umount may say that the device is not mounted. Ok.Then remove and re-insert the CD.I have now done 3 installs of Mdk92 tonight and still have two more to go. Will continue to test CD on the subsequent installs.Hopefully no more problems.

I also ran into an intermittent problem with urpmi.addmedia saying it could not mount the media. It may already have been mounted.Not sure what exactly was causing the problem, but, the following seemed to fix it.# su# umount /mnt/cdrom# The umount may say that the device is not mounted. Ok.
Some more quirks of the famous automount . . . . it´s a long story with Mandrake and automount . . . . they invented it and still are struggling to get it to perfection :DI will change the Tip about the update CD adapting it to the latest version :) Thanks ! ( Update: done ! ):) Bruno Edited by teacher

• 2 months later...
nlinecomputers

I try to run this script, the first one, and I get a "Failed ...Host not found" Tried other FTP servers and get the same results.What's wrong here?

I try to run this script, the first one, and I get a "Failed ...Host not found"  Tried other FTP servers and get the same results.What's wrong here?
Worked fine earlier today.I started a fresh download and test of some different parameters before I went out.Worked fine. Finished 14:12 EST.
wget -m -nH --cut-dirs=5 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2FINISHED --14:12:08--Downloaded: 786,658,104 bytes in 275 files[root@TestMdk92 hdb1]#

Just rechecked, and tested mirror setup, at same time. No problems.

[root@TestMdk92 Mdk92]# cat getupdt#!/bin/sh# getupdt: Get (mirror) Mdk92 Updates from nluugwget -m -nH --cut-dirs=5 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2[root@TestMdk92 Mdk92]# ./getupdt--17:45:43--  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2           => `Mandrake/updates/.listing'Resolving ftp.nluug.nl... done.Connecting to ftp.nluug.nl[192.87.102.36]:21... connected.Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates ... done.==> PASV ... done.    ==> LIST ... done.    [ <=>                                                            ] 1,109        154.72K/s17:45:45 (154.72 KB/s) - `Mandrake/updates/.listing' saved [1109]--17:45:45--  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/9.2           => `Mandrake/updates/9.2/.listing'==> CWD /pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2 ... done.==> PASV ... done.    ==> LIST ... done.    [ <=>                                                            ] 390          190.43K/s17:45:45 (190.43 KB/s) - `Mandrake/updates/9.2/.listing' saved [390]Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/descriptions' -- not retrieving.Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/ls-lR' -- not retrieving.Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/md5sums' -- not retrieving.--17:45:45--  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/9.2           => `Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/.listing'==> CWD /pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS ... done.==> PASV ... done.    ==> LIST ... done.    [  <=>                                                           ] 19,557        59.13K/s17:45:46 (59.13 KB/s) - `Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/.listing' saved [19557]Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/GConf-1.0.9-13.1.92mdk.i586.rpm' -- not retrieving.Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/GConf2-2.4.0.1-2.1.92mdk.i586.rpm' -- not retrieving....Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/tcpdump-3.7.2-2.1.92mdk.i586.rpm' -- not retrieving.Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/totem-0.99.4-4.1.92mdk.i586.rpm' -- not retrieving.--17:45:47--  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/SRPMS/9.2           => `Mandrake/updates/9.2/SRPMS/.listing'==> CWD /pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/SRPMS ... done.==> PASV ... done.    ==> LIST ... done.    [ <=>                                                            ] 5,053         34.03K/s17:45:47 (34.03 KB/s) - `Mandrake/updates/9.2/SRPMS/.listing' saved [5053]Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/SRPMS/GConf-1.0.9-13.1.92mdk.src.rpm' -- not retrieving.Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/SRPMS/GConf2-2.4.0.1-2.1.92mdk.src.rpm' -- not retrieving....Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/SRPMS/tcpdump-3.7.2-2.1.92mdk.src.rpm' -- not retrieving.Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/SRPMS/totem-0.99.4-4.1.92mdk.src.rpm' -- not retrieving.--17:45:47--  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/base/9.2           => `Mandrake/updates/9.2/base/.listing'==> CWD /pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/base ... done.==> PASV ... done.    ==> LIST ... done.    [ <=>                                                            ] 344          167.97K/s17:45:48 (167.97 KB/s) - `Mandrake/updates/9.2/base/.listing' saved [344]Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/base/hdlist.cz' -- not retrieving.Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/base/list' -- not retrieving.Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/base/pubkey' -- not retrieving.Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/base/synthesis.hdlist.cz' -- not retrieving.Remote file no newer than local file `Mandrake/updates/9.2/base/timestamp' -- not retrieving.FINISHED --17:45:48--Downloaded: 26,453 bytes in 5 files

Worked fine.

Edited by Owyn

nlinecomputers

Ok I think I may know what is wrong. What ports does WGET use? I may need to build a pipe from my router to my server. (Never used WGET before).

Ok I think I may know what is wrong.  What ports does WGET use?  I may need to build a pipe from my router to my server.  (Never used WGET before).
Standard Passive FTP. No ports on the client.If you can FTP then you should be able to WGET.I am behind a router with no open ports and no DMZ.

Jason:I just notice that when I converted my post with examples from Quote to Code it left a whole pile of URL tags behind.I am cleaning it up now.------Done

nlinecomputers

Thanks Owyn,On my windows boxes FTP works but not on the Linux boxes. Must be a UPNP thing. I created a port trigger in the router and presto FTP works everywhere. Download is commencing as I type.

nlinecomputers

Well everytime I've tried to do an Intstall of SuSE via FTP download it never worked. Never thought of this as the reason and never worried much about it as I have a disk set. Now I know why.