Strange HD performance and External HD back up help needed

atiustira

I finaly got the funds together for a back up system. My Western digital Blue caviar 320 GB sata gave me a drive failure warning on boot on my Ubuntu system. I went out and bought a USB 3.0 Insignia external hard drive case and 2, 1 TB Western Digital blue hard drives. I found it interesting that there was no mention of The HD working with Linux on the box. They do say the HD works with Mac and Windows. But the firmware is licensed under the GNU general public license! some thing wrong there. LOL Any way the Blue caviar 320 GB has done some interesting things that I havent seen before. For one thing when booting you can see the drives and instead of showing the drive name it shows what looks like binary code where the hard drive should be. And once it showed a screen that was pink with pixel images that looked like blue snakes all across it. Never saw that before my first thought was boot sector virus. But I can find no online references to anything like that. Well some for windows but none for Linux. We all know that Linux can get a windows virus but it wont do anything on the Linux system. So possibilty of boot sector virus not sure. At any rate what I need to do is create a clone) a bootable image of the working Ubuntu on the 1 TB Western Digital blue hard drive. What I have done so far is attempt to format the new drive with Gparted live cd. I wanted to create the partions indentical to the 320GB and then run ddrescue -v =/dev/sda /dev/sdb to acomplish this. I strayed away from using clone zilla as I saw some people having issues with the drive not booting after using it. But when I run gparted it wont recognize the external drive . so havent been able to.

So would any one be willing to walk me through getting this done. I need a copy in case the drive really does fail. And also has any one else ever seen the blue snakes LOL :) Thank you.

Edited by atiustira

Does the new hdd show up in gparted at all ?

If so open gparted with the drive showing in the main window, higlight it and go to DEVICE on the toolbar and click CREATE PARTITION TABLE, then format etc.

You could try " lsusb ",

With nothing inserted,

$lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID ffc0:001f
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

With a usb stick inserted,

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0930:6544 Toshiba Corp. TransMemory-Mini / Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 Stick (2GB)
Bus 002 Device 002: ID ffc0:001f

:breakfast:

You may want to re-asses your ddrescue command after reading the manual,

you didn't read the tutorial and started ddrescue without a logfile. Now, two days later, your computer crashed and you can't know how much data ddrescue managed to save. And even worse, you can't resume the rescue; you have to restart it from the very beginning.

http://www.gnu.org/s...cue_manual.html

Also are you really sure that ddrescue will make a bootable clone of your Ubuntu drive ? I have the feeling that it may not. :whistling:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

securitybreach
I finaly got the funds together for a back up system. My Western digital Blue caviar 320 GB sata gave me a drive failure warning on boot on my Ubuntu system. I went out and bought a USB 3.0 Insignia external hard drive case and 2, 1 TB Western Digital blue hard drives. I found it interesting that there was no mention of The HD working with Linux on the box. They do say the HD works with Mac and Windows. But the firmware is licensed under the GNU general public license! some thing wrong there. LOL

Unfortunately that is still common although my latest router (dlink) says it supports Windows, Mac and Linux on the box. It also came with a copy of the GPL.

Any way the Blue caviar 320 GB has done some interesting things that I havent seen before. For one thing when booting you can see the drives and instead of showing the drive name it shows what looks like binary code where the hard drive should be.

You do not mean UUID #s do you? Like this?

/dev/sda1: UUID="9a838519-3014-4268-bdca-1b772ed3342b" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="Linux filesystem" PARTUUID="f5859cf0-fcb5-41e1-a1a6-072a5a2ee8c9"

And once it showed a screen that was pink with pixel images that looked like blue snakes all across it. Never saw that before my first thought was boot sector virus. But I can find no online references to anything like that. Well some for windows but none for Linux. We all know that Linux can get a windows virus but it wont do anything on the Linux system. So possibilty of boot sector virus not sure.

That's not a boot sector virus. You would not be able to visibly see any indication of the boot sector virus, especially on Linux. If your referring to when you first hit enter on the Grub menu, then that could simply be a grub or graphics issue. What video Hardware do you have ... nvidia/nouveau/radeon ?

Also, not trying to be funny but have you checked your monitor cable going into the computer? That is also something that happens when it comes unplugged a little bit. Can you/did you try with another cable?

At any rate what I need to do is create a clone) a bootable image of the working Ubuntu on the 1 TB Western Digital blue hard drive. What I have done so far is attempt to format the new drive with Gparted live cd. I wanted to create the partions indentical to the 320GB and then run ddrescue -v =/dev/sda /dev/sdb to acomplish this. I strayed away from using clone zilla as I saw some people having issues with the drive not booting after using it. But when I run gparted it wont recognize the external drive . so havent been able to.

Clonezilla works beautifully. I have been making bi-weekly clone for about 3 years now and in that time, I have had to restore a few and they always worked flawlessly.

Ian made a pictorial awhile back for Clonezilla . It is a couple of years old but the method is basically the same. So read through it and use it as a guideline:

http://forums.scotsn...62

• Like 2

Thank you abarbarian. No the external is not showing in Gparted from the live cd nor the system when booted into Ubuntu. But through the GUI

PLaces < Computer it see's the drive but it is not mountable. And it has it there even when the drive is not plugged in.

Thank you for the heads up on the ddrescue. Reading the page right now.

Thank you securitybreach. Yes I like the GPL but think they should support Linux. Maybe they didnt think it would fit on the package. LOL

In answer to the question "You do not mean UUID #s do you? Like this?" No what I meen is when I first boot and the system is doing system checks through the BIO's.

Could have been Grub possibly but it was emediatly after the bio's screen I think my graphics card is nvidia. The cable is plugged in good on the computer and moniter. I didnt try with another cable because I dont have one. But I only have seen the pink screen with the blue snakes once. I have not been able to reproduce it. My GF that started back when with a tandy thought it looked like a virus to.

It could possible be one but not funtioning fully. YAY!!!! Linux!!!

I pulled the page on the forum. Not sure I want to go with clonezilla but reading again any way.

Thank you securitybreach.

Edited by atiustira

abarbarian

I tried the command without the external plugged in the usb, and with it plugged in the second shows a Innostor Technology Corporation which is the external plugged in. And now gparted see's the external drive.

zina@zina-desktop:~$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0101:0007
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04d9:1702 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc.
zina@zina-desktop:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1f75:0621 Innostor Technology Corporation
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0101:0007
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04d9:1702 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc.

Edited by atiustira

Maybe you have a dodgy usb port or the usb was not 100% seated in the port. Anyways at least you have found the hdd and can work on it.

The pink screen with the blue snake is not a virus. Probably a graphics issue like Josh said with the cable or more likely now we know more a issue with some software. I get loads of wierdy stuff showing on my screen because modern complex programs do not react well with my perfect simple Window Maker.Or could be your graphics card or mobo etc are on the fritz aswell as the hdd.

DD or ddrescue will make a copy of your hdd, the clue here is COPY. So all pointers to hdd's will be pointing to hdd names etc that are pertinent to your present setup.However you will be using a different hdd with a different name/id/etc so your copied install will not work straight away.

You could manually change all the pointers and signs but it would be a major task.Linux is just files and folders after all but would you find every instance that need to be changed, doubtful.

Clonezilla will not only copy everything , but will also change the necessary files as it does so.

Whilst you can use dd to clone,

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Disk_cloning

I believe rysnc is a better option as Josh once suggested to me,

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Full_system_backup_with_rsync

• Like 2

Thank you guys. Yes I do believe that I will go with clonezilla and rysync. If you could walk me through it before the drive fails that would be awesome. I have skype, and I think google does chat too. If that would be be possible. I would be more than willing to do it through the forum also but we know that takes longer.

Any way I hope I could do a arch multiboot also. 1 TB is a size I only dreamed of. :)

Hello I got the system to recognize both drives and started the cloning of the 350GB to the one terabyte drive.

But it has ran for 6 hrs on the data block process the bar chart appears to have stopped at 6.41% and the total block

process appears to have stopped at 3.41% the transfer speed has dropped to 22.63 mb a minute and it says it will take 88 hrs to complete . I am transfering 139 GB over a USB 2 conection. I have never done this before but does that seem right?

Would hate to kill the drives. Thanks

Spotted a bad suggestion below and am too tired to re-write all. So do not do what the strike out says in this case.

Actually your WD disk is not mounted when Clonezilla is saving the image. So you can press "ctrl-alt-del" to reboot your machine, or press "ctrl-alt-F2", then run "poweroff".

Steven.

http://ehc.ac/p/clon...hread/ceba538d/

You can speed things up by making backups of all your important personal files and folders and then deleting them from the original drive.

I partition drives for a linux os like so,

/boot 150 MB (not always)

/ 15 GB

/var 15 GB

SWAP 2 GB

/home at least 75 GB this size makes me transfer stuff to permanent backups but gives me space to do stuff.

With the above I find cloning goes pretty fast as my /home is almost empty whilst cloning due to the previously mentioned backing up.

In your situation I would be looking to make copies of my most important stuff first. Then I would do a clean install of the os on the new drive. Of course after making the important backups you can clone the drive.

Hope I got stuff right and it is of help. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Ok, it honestly sounds like your data is corrupt as clonezilla should of taken nowhere that long to make a snapshot. I can do 40gb (my / partition) in like 7 minutes on my machine so I couldnt see a terabyte or two taking longer than an hour.

Sorry to say but I think whatever drive it was stuck on is toast or atleast the partitions are completely corrupted. I hope you keep backups.....

• Like 1

Thank you securitybreach.

securitybreach

Ok, it honestly sounds like your data is corrupt as clonezilla should of taken nowhere that long to make a snapshot. I can do 40gb (my / partition) in like 7 minutes on my machine so I couldnt see a terabyte or two taking longer than an hour.

Sorry to say but I think whatever drive it was stuck on is toast or atleast the partitions are completely corrupted. I hope you keep backups.....

I am still getting the drives recognized in the boot up diagnostic screen as a binary name. Yes I really do know what binary code looks like. I think I have got the problem close to nailed down. I have award 6 bios and in the bios it appears as if some how shadow has gotten set for the video and bios. I think this may be causing the erorr's. I am familiar with bios and that Linux doesnt do well with shadowing. But for some reason I can not find the setting to un shadow bios after many reboots and pushing f1 many many times. Now if the bios was set to shadow which it was. It seems there should be a setting to unset it. I cant understand what may have made that option disappear. But in my theory since linux has a hard time with shadowing, and the video and system bios are shadowed it could be causing the problems of the unusual video display and the drive names not being names but instead binary code. my new drive had one heck of a burn in test. LOL But I can boot the original drive and the drive that I tried to clone to the terabyte one has the identical partitions of the original drive but nothing readable on it. The partitions were created with clone zilla on that long test. If clonezilla saw the drives as the binary names perhaps that caused the problem copying the files over. But somehow the partitions got created right they are identical. Not sure where to go from here. Any one have any idea what may cause the shadow video and shadow bios option to disapear on a award 6 bio's? thinking of getting a windows OS on a drive and trying to boot it and see if the options reapear. Any feed back is apreciated here as I am in some unfamiliar territory.

I had an external USB drive for backups that one day was not able to copy. First it was slow, then it would not copy at all. This went on for a couple or so months. Then the power supply completely failed. I think the reason the USB drive was not working properly was because the power supply was in the early phases of failing and not supplying enough current to the USB port. When it died completely it also took out the main hard drive.

• Like 2

Thank you Robert and abarbarian. I have been down for last couple of days. Due to fire in my area taking out power lines. I am still working on this. Thinking I need to get my system to stop spitting out binary code for drive names. And going from there. Has any one ever seen any links at all on drive names being renamed to binary. Looking into the hard ware now, (that our power is back up). But not sure it isnt a virus or malware. securitybreach

Yes trying to get back ups. May have to do some tricky live cd terminal work. I hope you are up to it. I know the terminal is your forte'

Edited by atiustira

The 350 GB blue caviar drive is up and running, on a new motherboard I couldnt determine if it was bios a bad usb or ata controller as they were on board but no more binary out put for the drive names now. Nor pink screen with blue snakes. Any sugestions for checking the file system before I attempt a back up? Oh it doesnt see mt dvd drive nor my cd drive.

Edited by atiustira

Thanks abarbarian yes doing a back up would be optimal. Clonezilla hung looking for grub,allmost got a back up. Is that because Ubuntu uses upstart ? Any ways could some one as I asked above get me through to a back up please.

securitybreach

Clonezilla only takes a raw snapshot of your partition/disk so it would not matter at all what you used as your bootmanager. I use syslinux but used grub for a long while too and neither matters to grub.

Thanks abarbarian yes doing a back up would be optimal. Clonezilla hung looking for grub,allmost got a back up. Is that because Ubuntu uses upstart ? Any ways could some one as I asked above get me through to a back up please.

Fire up a live linux distro from a cd/dvd/usb.

Save all important folders and files from 350 to wherever cd/dvd/hdd/sdd.

Verify the folders and files are ok.

Close down live cd/dvd/usb.

Attempt to make a full disc backup with Clonezilla.

If able to do above then see if the backup will install to new hdd.

If not able to do above then do a fresh install of os to new hdd.

Once you have done the above steps you can do full disk testing on the 350.

If the disk tests ok you had some other faulty hardware.

If you do not like Clobezilla, look here,

http://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source/linux-based-disk-cloning-imaging-software/

Disk cloning is nothing but the process of copying the contents of one hard disk (or partition) to another disk or to an "image" file. I make backup regularly using rsnapshot tool, but I also clone my hard disk once or twice a month. This option allows me to restore my OS and installed software quickly. Linux comes with various utilities for performing disk cloning. In this post, I'm going to list my favourite open source disk cloning softwares that has saved my butt multiple times.

B)

Hi I could'nt get anything to work really. So I downloaded acronis for Western Digital hard drives. Because even g parted could not properly format the drive in the external drive enclosure. Acronis true image was able to format it to ext-4 file format. After I ran that on a windows 7 system. Now when I plug the external USB 1 terabyte drive into Ubuntu 14.04 LTS the drive pops up like normal with any USB device. But I am unable to stop the drive like a normal USB device. I have to use x-kill to stop it. But before that I attempted a 16 GB transfer, and it stoped at 5.2 GB. I tried smaller file sizes also and it seems to be hanging on those also. Strange that it took a Windows system to format ,also the transfers stopping seem very strange. I think that there should not be a compatibility issue but seems to be. Maybe some one could suggest a solution?

securitybreach

Well I would suggest that you do not use x-kill to stop it as you will eventually corrupt your data. Simply unmount the drive using the console:

sudo umount /mountpoint

As far as why you needed windows to format the drive, I am clueless. I have 6 terabytes of WD drives(2x 2tb WD Green, 2x 1tb WD Caviar Black) and I never used windows to format them so that is definitely strange.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Thank you securitybreach good advice. What kind of external hard drive enclosure are you using?

That part really doesn't matter as they are simply normal sata drives inside the enclosures. The large ones are normal sized sata drives and the slim ones are simply laptop sata drives inside.

But that said, both of the 2tb drives came in external closures with estata and usb ports. I formatted both via the USB ports before I took them out of the enclosures and mounted them inside my main tower.

Well I would suggest that you do not use x-kill to stop it as you will eventually corrupt your data. Simply unmount the drive using the console:

sudo umount /mountpoint

As far as why you needed windows to format the drive, I am clueless. I have 6 terabytes of WD drives(2x 2tb WD Green, 2x 1tb WD Caviar Black) and I never used windows to format them so that is definitely strange.

Abit strange indeed unless one might dual boot . as windows likes to be on the first partition. ???

• Like 1

Hi I could'nt get anything to work really. So I downloaded acronis for Western Digital hard drives. Because even g parted could not properly format the drive in the external drive enclosure. Acronis true image was able to format it to ext-4 file format. After I ran that on a windows 7 system. Now when I plug the external USB 1 terabyte drive into Ubuntu 14.04 LTS the drive pops up like normal with any USB device. But I am unable to stop the drive like a normal USB device. I have to use x-kill to stop it. But before that I attempted a 16 GB transfer, and it stoped at 5.2 GB. I tried smaller file sizes also and it seems to be hanging on those also. Strange that it took a Windows system to format ,also the transfers stopping seem very strange. I think that there should not be a compatibility issue but seems to be. Maybe some one could suggest a solution?

What is your set up ?

Tell us what the pc is you are using and what type of external enclosures and how you are connecting them.

ie: Arch 64 with a Hitachi 500 GB hdd. 500 GB external connected by usb 2. Parted Magik live cd. Knoppix live cd.

Your information is unclear and confusing so we do not know what exactly you are doing so helping you is almost impossible.

:228823:

• Like 1

Thanks abarbarian Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32-bit Intel Petium D CPU 2.80GHz x2 Graphics Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV370 pulled that out of the bone pile to fix the original problem.

When I run this for BIO's info.

sudo dmidecode | less >bio.txt

gets me this

# dmidecode 2.12

SMBIOS 2.3 present.

71 structures occupying 2176 bytes.

Table at 0x000F04E0.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 20 bytes

BIOS Information

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: 1103

Release Date: 03/20/2006

Address: 0xF0000

Runtime Size: 64 kB

ROM Size: 512 kB

Characteristics:

ISA is supported

PCI is supported

PNP is supported

APM is supported

BIOS is upgradeable

BIOS shadowing is allowed

ESCD support is available

Boot from CD is supported

Selectable boot is supported

BIOS ROM is socketed

EDD is supported

5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)

3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)

3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)

Print screen service is supported (int 5h)

8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)

Serial services are supported (int 14h)

Printer services are supported (int 17h)

CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)

ACPI is supported

USB legacy is supported

AGP is supported

LS-120 boot is supported

ATAPI Zip drive boot is supported

BIOS boot specification is supported

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 25 bytes

System Information

Manufacturer: System manufacturer

Product Name: System Product Name

Version: System Version

Serial Number: System Serial Number

UUID: BC0BE4E0-74FE-D511-83DB-38BAE88148F5

Wake-up Type: PCI PME#

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 8 bytes

Base Board Information

Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Product Name: P5LD2

Version: Rev 1.xx

Serial Number: MB-1234567890

Handle 0x0003, DMI type 3, 17 bytes

Chassis Information

Manufacturer: Chassis Manufacture

Type: Desktop

Lock: Present

Version: Chassis Version

Serial Number: Chassis Serial Number

Asset Tag: Asset-1234567890

Boot-up State: Safe

Power Supply State: Safe

Thermal State: Safe

Security Status: None

OEM Information: 0x00000001

Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 35 bytes

Processor Information

Socket Designation: Socket 775

Type: Central Processor

Family: Pentium 4

Manufacturer: Intel

ID: 44 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF

Signature: Type 0, Family 15, Model 4, Stepping 4

Flags:

FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)

VME (Virtual mode extension)

DE (Debugging extension)

PSE (Page size extension)

TSC (Time stamp counter)

MSR (Model specific registers)

PAE (Physical address extension)

MCE (Machine check exception)

CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)

APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)

SEP (Fast system call)

MTRR (Memory type range registers)

PGE (Page global enable)

MCA (Machine check architecture)

CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)

PAT (Page attribute table)

PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)

CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)

DS (Debug store)

ACPI (ACPI supported)

MMX (MMX technology supported)

FXSR (FXSAVE and FXSTOR instructions supported)

SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)

SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)

SS (Self-snoop)

HTT (Multi-threading)

TM (Thermal monitor supported)

PBE (Pending break enabled)

Version: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz

Voltage: 1.3 V

External Clock: 200 MHz

Max Speed: 3800 MHz

Current Speed: 2800 MHz

Upgrade: Other

L1 Cache Handle: 0x0005

L2 Cache Handle: 0x0006

L3 Cache Handle: 0x0007

Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Part Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Handle 0x0005, DMI type 7, 19 bytes

Cache Information

Socket Designation: L1-Cache

Configuration: Enabled, Not Socketed, Level 1

Operational Mode: Varies With Memory Address

Installed Size: 32 kB

Maximum Size: 32 kB

Supported SRAM Types:

Pipeline Burst

Installed SRAM Type: Pipeline Burst

Speed: Unknown

Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC

System Type: Data

Associativity: 8-way Set-associative

Handle 0x0006, DMI type 7, 19 bytes

Cache Information

Socket Designation: L2-Cache

Configuration: Enabled, Not Socketed, Level 2

Operational Mode: Varies With Memory Address

Installed Size: 2048 kB

Maximum Size: 2048 kB

Supported SRAM Types:

Pipeline Burst

Installed SRAM Type: Pipeline Burst

Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC

System Type: Unified

Associativity: 8-way Set-associative

Handle 0x0007, DMI type 7, 19 bytes

Cache Information

Socket Designation: L3-Cache

Configuration: Disabled, Not Socketed, Level 3

Operational Mode: Unknown

Installed Size: 0 kB

Maximum Size: 0 kB

Supported SRAM Types:

Unknown

Installed SRAM Type: Unknown

Error Correction Type: Unknown

System Type: Unknown

Associativity: Unknown

Handle 0x0008, DMI type 5, 24 bytes

Memory Controller Information

Error Detecting Method: 64-bit ECC

Error Correcting Capabilities:

None

Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave

Current Interleave: One-way Interleave

Maximum Memory Module Size: 1024 MB

Maximum Total Memory Size: 4096 MB

Supported Speeds:

70 ns

60 ns

50 ns

Supported Memory Types:

SIMM

DIMM

Memory Module Voltage: 3.3 V

Associated Memory Slots: 4

0x0009

0x000A

0x000B

0x000C

Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities:

None

Handle 0x0009, DMI type 6, 12 bytes

Memory Module Information

Socket Designation: DIMM0

Bank Connections: 9 11

Current Speed: 30 ns

Type: Parity DIMM Burst EDO

Installed Size: 1024 MB (Single-bank Connection)

Enabled Size: 1024 MB (Single-bank Connection)

Error Status: OK

Handle 0x000A, DMI type 6, 12 bytes

Socket Designation: DIMM1

Bank Connections: 9 11

Current Speed: 30 ns

Type: Parity DIMM Burst EDO

Installed Size: 1024 MB (Single-bank Connection)

Enabled Size: 1024 MB (Single-bank Connection)

Handle 0x000B, DMI type 6, 12 bytes

Socket Designation: DIMM2

Bank Connections: 0 0

Current Speed: Unknown

Type: DIMM SDRAM

Installed Size: Not Installed

Enabled Size: Not Installed

Handle 0x000C, DMI type 6, 12 bytes

Socket Designation: DIMM3

Bank Connections: 0 0

Current Speed: Unknown

Type: DIMM SDRAM

Installed Size: Not Installed

Enabled Size: Not Installed

Handle 0x000D, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Port Connector Information

Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified

Internal Connector Type: None

External Reference Designator: PS/2 Mouse

External Connector Type: PS/2

Port Type: Mouse Port

Handle 0x000E, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: PS/2 Keyboard

External Connector Type: PS/2

Port Type: Keyboard Port

Handle 0x000F, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: USB1

External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)

Port Type: USB

Handle 0x0010, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: USB2

Handle 0x0011, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: USB3

Handle 0x0012, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: USB4

Handle 0x0013, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: USB5

Handle 0x0014, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: USB6

Handle 0x0015, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: USB7

Handle 0x0016, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: USB8

Handle 0x0017, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: LPT 1

External Connector Type: DB-25 male

Port Type: Parallel Port ECP/EPP

Handle 0x0018, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: COM 1

External Connector Type: DB-9 male

Port Type: Serial Port 16550A Compatible

Handle 0x0019, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: MIDI

External Connector Type: DB-15 female

Port Type: MIDI Port

Handle 0x001A, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: Joy Stick

External Connector Type: DB-15 female

Port Type: Joystick Port

Handle 0x001B, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out1

External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)

Port Type: Audio Port

Handle 0x001C, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out2

Handle 0x001D, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out3

Handle 0x001E, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out4

Handle 0x001F, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out5

Handle 0x0020, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out6

Handle 0x0021, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: SPDIF_OUT1

External Connector Type: On Board Sound Input From CD-ROM

Handle 0x0022, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

External Reference Designator: GbE LAN 1

External Connector Type: RJ-45

Port Type: Network Port

Handle 0x0023, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: ITE_IDE_1

Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE

External Reference Designator: Not Specified

External Connector Type: None

Port Type: Other

Handle 0x0024, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: ITE_IDE_2

Handle 0x0025, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: SB_IDE

Handle 0x0026, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: SB_SATA1

Handle 0x0027, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: SB_SATA2

Handle 0x0028, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: SB_SATA3

Handle 0x0029, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: SB_SATA4

Handle 0x002A, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: CD

Internal Connector Type: On Board Sound Input From CD-ROM

Handle 0x002B, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: FP_AUDIO

Internal Connector Type: On Board Sound Input From CD-ROM

Handle 0x002C, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: FLOPPY

Internal Connector Type: On Board Floppy

Handle 0x002D, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: CHA_FAN

Internal Connector Type: Other

Handle 0x002E, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: CPU_FAN

Handle 0x002F, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: PWR_FAN

Handle 0x0030, DMI type 8, 9 bytes

Internal Reference Designator: CHA_FAN2

Handle 0x0031, DMI type 9, 13 bytes

System Slot Information

Designation: PCIEX16

Type: 32-bit PCI-X

Current Usage: In Use

Length: Short

ID: 0

Characteristics:

3.3 V is provided

Opening is shared

PME signal is supported

Handle 0x0032, DMI type 9, 13 bytes

System Slot Information

Designation: PCI_1

Type: 32-bit PCI

Current Usage: Available

ID: 5

Characteristics:

3.3 V is provided

Opening is shared

PME signal is supported

Handle 0x0033, DMI type 9, 13 bytes

System Slot Information

Designation: PCI_2

ID: 6

Characteristics:

3.3 V is provided

Opening is shared

PME signal is supported

Handle 0x0034, DMI type 9, 13 bytes

System Slot Information

Designation: PCI_3

ID: 7

Characteristics:

3.3 V is provided

Opening is shared

PME signal is supported

Handle 0x0035, DMI type 9, 13 bytes

System Slot Information

Designation: PCIEX1_1

ID: 3

Characteristics:

3.3 V is provided

Opening is shared

PME signal is supported

Handle 0x0036, DMI type 9, 13 bytes

System Slot Information

Designation: PCIEX1_2

ID: 4

Characteristics:

3.3 V is provided

Opening is shared

PME signal is supported

Handle 0x0037, DMI type 9, 13 bytes

System Slot Information

Designation: PCIEX1_3

ID: 5

Characteristics:

3.3 V is provided

Opening is shared

PME signal is supported

Handle 0x0038, DMI type 10, 6 bytes

On Board Device Information

Type: Ethernet

Description: Onboard Ethernet

Handle 0x0039, DMI type 11, 5 bytes

OEM Strings

String 1: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

String 2: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

String 3: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

String 4: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Handle 0x003A, DMI type 13, 22 bytes

BIOS Language Information

Language Description Format: Abbreviated

Installable Languages: 1

en|US|iso8859-1

Currently Installed Language: en|US|iso8859-1

Handle 0x003B, DMI type 16, 15 bytes

Physical Memory Array

Use: System Memory

Error Correction Type: None

Maximum Capacity: 4 GB

Error Information Handle: Not Provided

Number Of Devices: 4

Handle 0x003C, DMI type 19, 15 bytes

Memory Array Mapped Address

Starting Address: 0x00000000000

Ending Address: 0x200000003FF

Range Size: 2 TB

Physical Array Handle: 0x003B

Partition Width: 1

Handle 0x003D, DMI type 17, 27 bytes

Memory Device

Array Handle: 0x003B

Total Width: 64 bits

Data Width: 64 bits

Size: 1024 MB

Form Factor: DIMM

Set: None

Locator: DIMM0

Bank Locator: BANK0

Type: SDRAM

Type Detail: Synchronous

Manufacturer: Manufacturer0

Serial Number: SerNum0

Asset Tag: AssetTagNum0

Part Number: PartNum0

Handle 0x003E, DMI type 20, 19 bytes

Memory Device Mapped Address

Ending Address: 0x0003FFFFFFF

Range Size: 1 GB

Physical Device Handle: 0x003D

Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x003C

Partition Row Position: 1

Handle 0x003F, DMI type 17, 27 bytes

Memory Device

Total Width: 64 bits

Data Width: 64 bits

Size: 1024 MB

Locator: DIMM1

Bank Locator: BANK1

Type: SDRAM

Type Detail: Synchronous

Manufacturer: Manufacturer1

Serial Number: SerNum1

Asset Tag: AssetTagNum1

Part Number: PartNum1

Handle 0x0040, DMI type 20, 19 bytes

Starting Address: 0x00040000000

Ending Address: 0x0007FFFFFFF

Range Size: 1 GB

Physical Device Handle: 0x003F

Handle 0x0041, DMI type 17, 27 bytes

Memory Device

Total Width: Unknown

Data Width: Unknown

Size: No Module Installed

Locator: DIMM2

Bank Locator: BANK2

Type: Unknown

Type Detail: Unknown

Manufacturer: Manufacturer2

Serial Number: SerNum2

Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2

Part Number: PartNum2

Handle 0x0042, DMI type 20, 19 bytes

Ending Address: 0x000000003FF

Range Size: 1 kB

Physical Device Handle: 0x0041

Handle 0x0043, DMI type 17, 27 bytes

Memory Device

Total Width: Unknown

Data Width: Unknown

Size: No Module Installed

Locator: DIMM3

Bank Locator: BANK3

Type: Unknown

Type Detail: Unknown

Manufacturer: Manufacturer3

Serial Number: SerNum3

Asset Tag: AssetTagNum3

Part Number: PartNum3

Handle 0x0044, DMI type 20, 19 bytes

Ending Address: 0x000000003FF

Range Size: 1 kB

Physical Device Handle: 0x0043

Handle 0x0045, DMI type 32, 20 bytes

System Boot Information

Handle 0x0046, DMI type 127, 4 bytes

End Of Table

When I plugin the external 1 terabyte drive that is in a Insignia self powered drive case to the USB port.

And run this command from a terminal I have IO errors.

dmesg

[ 8064.208025] usb 1-8: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci

[ 8064.342203] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb]

[ 8064.342211] Result: hostbyte=DID_ABORT driverbyte=DRIVER_OK

[ 8064.342215] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] CDB:

[ 8064.342218] Write(10): 2a 00 00 8d b2 30 00 00 f0 00

[ 8064.342236] end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 9286192

[ 8064.342244] EXT4-fs warning (device sdb1): ext4_end_bio:317: I/O error -5 writing to inode 95158502 (offset 8388608 size 8388608 starting block 1160804)

[ 8064.342249] buffer_io_error: 20 callbacks suppressed

[ 8064.342254] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1160518

[ 8064.342263] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1160519

[ 8064.342267] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1160520

[ 8064.342271] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1160521

[ 8064.342275] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1160522

[ 8064.342279] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1160523

[ 8064.342282] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1160524

[ 8064.342286] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1160525

[ 8064.342290] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1160526

[ 8064.342294] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1160527

[ 8095.184033] usb 1-8: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci

[ 8126.160022] usb 1-8: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci

[ 8157.136087] usb 1-8: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci

[ 8161.004101] INFO: task pool:6840 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

[ 8161.004111] Not tainted 3.13.0-63-generic #103-Ubuntu

[ 8161.004114] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.

[ 8161.004118] pool D c19a1b00 0 6840 2925 0x00000000

[ 8161.004126] db711d40 00200086 c19a1b00 c19a1b00 00000040 c1a9a300 c192aa00 00200246

[ 8161.004137] c1a9a300 c192aa00 ed40c100 f6bde300 00000002 00000000 00000000 00001000

[ 8161.004148] 00000040 f54d6c00 c19a258c c19a1b28 ffffffff f6bdee60 f6bdee6c 00200246

[ 8161.004158] Call Trace:

[ 8161.004174] [<c10915c8>] ? prepare_to_wait+0x48/0x70

[ 8161.004182] [<c165c0b3>] schedule+0x23/0x60

[ 8161.004189] [<c122c4ad>] wait_transaction_locked+0x5d/0x80

[ 8161.004195] [<c1091880>] ? prepare_to_wait_event+0xd0/0xd0

[ 8161.004200] [<c122c756>] start_this_handle+0x216/0x4c0

[ 8161.004206] [<c122cbc2>] ? jbd2__journal_start+0x62/0x1a0

[ 8161.004212] [<c122cc16>] jbd2__journal_start+0xb6/0x1a0

[ 8161.004218] [<c1123439>] ? add_to_page_cache_locked+0x99/0x180

[ 8161.004224] [<c1214cd3>] ? ext4_journal_check_start+0x13/0x90

[ 8161.004230] [<c1214dd9>] __ext4_journal_start_sb+0x59/0xc0

[ 8161.004236] [<c11ed7cc>] ext4_da_write_begin+0x15c/0x320

[ 8161.004243] [<c112221c>] pagecache_write_begin+0x3c/0x50

[ 8161.004250] [<c11a1f1a>] pipe_to_file+0x7a/0x110

[ 8161.004256] [<c11a1ea0>] ? user_page_pipe_buf_steal+0x30/0x30

[ 8161.004261] [<c11a1af0>] splice_from_pipe_feed+0x70/0x100

[ 8161.004266] [<c11a1ea0>] ? user_page_pipe_buf_steal+0x30/0x30

[ 8161.004272] [<c11a2095>] generic_file_splice_write+0xe5/0x190

[ 8161.004278] [<c117c667>] ? __sb_start_write+0x47/0xd0

[ 8161.004284] [<c11a1fb0>] ? pipe_to_file+0x110/0x110

[ 8161.004290] [<c11a3c7a>] SyS_splice+0x18a/0x570

[ 8161.004296] [<c166688d>] sysenter_do_call+0x12/0x12

[ 8161.004338] INFO: task kworker/u4:1:6657 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

[ 8161.004342] Not tainted 3.13.0-63-generic #103-Ubuntu

[ 8161.004345] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.

[ 8161.004348] kworker/u4:1 D d3346428 0 6657 2 0x00000000

[ 8161.004358] Workqueue: writeback bdi_writeback_workfn (flush-8:16)

[ 8161.004363] cbb3dbe4 00000046 d33464c4 d3346428 f13e2300 c1a9a300 ebaaf143 000006fe

[ 8161.004373] c1a9a300 db01ce00 db019a00 f6bde300 cbb3dbb8 c12cc433 00000000 00000000

[ 8161.004382] 00000000 00000010 cbb3dbc8 f60d7520 00000000 cbb3dbe4 00000286 00000286

[ 8161.004392] Call Trace:

[ 8161.004400] [<c12cc433>] ? queue_unplugged+0x33/0x90

[ 8161.004409] [<c165c366>] io_schedule+0x86/0x100

[ 8161.004414] [<c12ce25a>] get_request+0x18a/0x640

[ 8161.004420] [<c1091880>] ? prepare_to_wait_event+0xd0/0xd0

[ 8161.004426] [<c12cfe89>] blk_queue_bio+0x79/0x2e0

[ 8161.004431] [<c12cd923>] generic_make_request+0x93/0xd0

[ 8161.004437] [<c12cd9b7>] submit_bio+0x57/0x130

[ 8161.004442] [<c11efbf0>] ext4_io_submit+0x20/0x40

[ 8161.004448] [<c11ec873>] ext4_writepages+0x493/0x650

[ 8161.004456] [<c112cd8a>] do_writepages+0x1a/0x40

[ 8161.004461] [<c119ec3c>] __writeback_single_inode+0x3c/0x1f0

[ 8161.004467] [<c119fa2d>] writeback_sb_inodes+0x1bd/0x2e0

[ 8161.004472] [<c119fbcc>] __writeback_inodes_wb+0x7c/0xb0

[ 8161.004478] [<c119fdf2>] wb_writeback+0x1f2/0x270

[ 8161.004484] [<c11a0ff7>] bdi_writeback_workfn+0x177/0x370

[ 8161.004489] [<c165bc78>] ? __schedule+0x358/0x770

[ 8161.004496] [<c106f00b>] process_one_work+0x11b/0x3b0

[ 8161.004501] [<c106fc49>] worker_thread+0xf9/0x380

[ 8161.004506] [<c106fb50>] ? rescuer_thread+0x380/0x380

[ 8161.004512] [<c10754f1>] kthread+0xa1/0xc0

[ 8161.004517] [<c16667f7>] ret_from_kernel_thread+0x1b/0x28

[ 8161.004522] [<c1075450>] ? kthread_create_on_node+0x140/0x140

Also yes ddrescue would not mahe a copy I just like to run it before I run dd Thanks abarbarian.

Ok that is possibly a tad too much info :happyroll:

You need to use a live linux distro to wipe and reformat the 1 TB hdd. I would use gparted to do that myself. Try formatting the whole drive as one partition and see if you get errors, if no errors then partition the drive to suit and a clean install of your os would probably be best.

Even though the 1 TB hdd is new it may be a faulty one. However in the past I have run into problems with formatting and partitioning new drives and used something other than gparted but can not remember what I used to fix the problems.

GfkBrwVl.jpg

Here is my layout for Arch. Notice the highlighted section on the drop down on the toolbar at the top you probably need to do that before formatting. See how it goes and good luck.

I am hoping that I am giving you reasonable help here and not wasting your time with faulty info. If my info is faulty I hope folk will kick in and tell me.

Edited by abarbarian