Photo

Free GPS for PC - W10?

Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Posted by JerryM in All Things Windows
My son is about to retire, and move back to this city. He is looking for a  house to buy, and Mom and Dad are looking at his favorites. Strangely enough the "direction finders" I did use in years past don't seem to be accurate or responsive. I want printable driving directions here locally.

I have a couple of programs for my Kindles, but cannot print as my printer is not WiFi. So I need a GPS for my PC running W 10 so I can print driving directions.
Anyone here with information or recommendations?
Thanks,
Jerry

36 Views · 2 Replies ( Last reply by goretsky )

Photo

Remastering a Live Linux DVD

27 May 2017

Posted by onederer in Bruno's All Things Linux
Hi,

Ok, I can't choke my computer, so I had to come here, for maybe possible relief?

We all know about backing up our data. Well, this time, I jumped into the idea. PCLinuxOS has a program to remaster the OS into a live DVD. I thought that I'd try it out, and at the same time could gain a backup that images all my current setups, in a live, installable DVD format.

I did all of this to save my PC in case a disaster would happen. It took 6.5 hours for the image operation to finally end. But I found that the program did not go all out, to also take the steps load (burn) the final product into a DVD. Nor go into instructions to do it right, at that point.

To make sure that I'd have enough room to hold all the data, I chose to use a BD disk. I used a "dd if= of=" to try to transfer the .iso file into the BD platter. I couldn't get the machine to recognise that a platter was sitting in the burner. The entire file was 14GB.

Then I resorted to kick the k3b application on, to see if that would be successful. That's when all he.. broke loose. No luck making that image to transfer to the BD platter. I even tried with an external USB BD burner. No luck! Dusgusted, I decided to lay low for a while. I then found out that the OS no longer was able to launch any applications.

The very action that I did to protect myself against future problems, did me in! I'm writing this, in the machine with the broken OS, using a Live DVD (not of my making). Looks like I'm going to lose a lot of important things in my present setup, by doing a fresh installation. I only wish that I knew which files damaged, needed to be replaced, to save the system. I forgot the error code that came on the screen. And I didn't understand the criptic way it was presented.

Cheers!

77 Views · 6 Replies ( Last reply by onederer )

Photo

Get ready for the coming business travel crisis

27 May 2017

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

While corporate IT departments are focusing on a new wave of data security threats, including WannaCry, an even bigger threat looms and nobody is addressing it.

I'm talking about the rules around laptops, tablets and smartphones during business travel.

The new risk of air travel data exposure is coming in two forms. First is a laptop ban. The other is a policy of smartphone data extraction.

The looming laptop ban

The likelihood of a catastrophic, draconian laptop ban is higher than you think -- and the security risks, graver. Let's first dig into where this threat is coming from.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

13 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 43 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Bing, Yahoo, Google

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS