Microsoft Excel vs libreoffice spreadsheet vs openoffice spreadsheet

Reynaldo

So, this is my first post, hi. Let's get to it, so i use excel to do alot of math work, not really complicated but excel comes in handy, has anyone here had experience using those other programs spreadsheet, for example to do binomial distribution, alot of math related to statistics, and so on, post your experience and ideas.

for me, one thing msExcel had going for it which put it way above the other 2 is the ability to make changes to a readonly file while you had it open and not having to save the file as a different file.

msExcel feature of auditing formulas seemed much better to me than the other 2, so if you are referencing other cells a lot that would be important. and if you are dealing with heavy loaded spreadsheets, msExcel speed advantage would be significant.

V.T. Eric Layton

Welcome, Reynaldo!

I'm not a big spreadsheet user, but I have used MS Excel, OpenOffice, and the LibreOffice versions. For the simple stuff I do, I haven't noticed many differences in the three.

I don't have much use for Excel these days but have tremendous admiration for a former co-worker who saved me hours of time with the macros he wrote compiling data from SQL queries with Excel.

V.T. Eric Layton

Spreadsheet programs are really amazing tools. I barely scratched the surface when using them, but I do know a couple folks who are spreadsheet gurus. It's just fantastic the things they can do with these programs.

This is sort of informative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_spreadsheet_software

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_LibreOffice_-_Microsoft_Office#Spreadsheet_applications:_LibreOffice_Calc_vs._Microsoft_Excel

i've added some of those useful links, i downloaded libreoffice, i'll give it a try and post here after doing some math work, though its gonna take sometime for me to test it all around... ill let you know. Also, good thing is that LibreOffice has an alpha version for Android!

also thanks guys

Edited by Reynaldo
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Welcome, Reynaldo!

I use spreadsheets for many things but I know a guy who would do all kinds of spreadsheets that were linked between worksheets all over the place doing all kind analytic calculations in Excel. Many of which I have never learned.

I don't know if these same things could be done interchangeably between the two (meaning Excel and the open source OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice), but likely the same things can be done but would likely have to be done in their own way of doing things.

If you don't mind learning something new.

I know it was very hard at first to learn the very powerful open source graphics program, The GIMP because I had already learned using Photoshop in Windows. But I did learn in time. :yes:

Edited by LilBambi