Importing anything

SueD

I searched for 2 days and can't find the answer so here I go looking for help again.LOLI wanted to import my address book and Fx profile from PCLos to Slackware. However, when I look in system:/media, the only things showing are my CD, Floppy and hdb7. How do I import anything if I can't access them?

Hi SueIf you are in Salckware . . and your PCLos /home is on hdb6 ( wild guess ) you do:

[# mkdir /mnt/hdb6# mount /dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6# ls /mnt/hdb6/sue

The last command should then show you the files in your PCLos /home . . . . Now if you copy them over ( on the commandline as root ) you will have to reset the ownership of those files once they are in Slackware /home/sue . . . Example, file tessst.txt:

# chown sue:users /home/sue/tessst.txt

Example, directory tessst

# chown -R sue:users /home/sue/tessst

NOTE: The "sue:users" is only in Slackware . . If you would do it in PCLos ( with files moved from Slackware ) it would be "sue:sue" ( <user>:<group> B) )B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

The easy way is to go to your /home/.mozilla directory in PCLos and copy (burn) the entire contents of that folder to a CD or DVD. Then boot to Slack and delete the contents of the Slack /home/.mozilla directory (you must run FF at least once in Slack for the directory to be created). Mount your CD/DVD drive and copy the contents from the CD that you just burned and paste it into the /home/.mozilla directory. Voila! Everything from your PCLos FF will now be in your Slack FF.This is how I migrate my FF and T-bird settings to all of my distros. I use the burned CD as a back-up for my Moz apps. I usually re-create it about every two weeks to keep it current.Have fun! :)PS: Another way is to have a "storage" partition on one of your drives that is accessibly by all your distros (FAT32, if you want Windows to access it also). Then you can store your backups there and not have to use the CD method. However, remember that hard drives fail. It's always best to have your backups on external media.

The easy way is to go to your /home/.mozilla directory in PCLos and copy (burn) the entire contents of that folder to a CD or DVD. Then boot to Slack and delete the contents of the Slack /home/.mozilla directory (you must run FF at least once in Slack for the directory to be created). Mount your CD/DVD drive and copy the contents from the CD that you just burned and paste it into the /home/.mozilla directory. Voila! Everything from your PCLos FF will now be in your Slack FF.
Ooh, that would work too...thanks Eric! B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Note though: you'll find that migrating Moz profiles between distros (and versions of Moz apps) will occasionally cause slighly buggy problems, usually minor... most of the time it's just a couple extensions that wont work and require reinstalling. However, 99.9% of the browser's customizations and other attributes carry over with no problems. You'll even get your cookies, so you won't have to re-login to all your forums and stuff. B)

Ok, your directions confused me a bit and since my last CD was no good, I can't do Eric's suggestion for a few days.Right now I'm in PCLos. Can I export my T'Bird profile and Bookmarks from hdb6 to hdb7? I created a new Fx one in Slackware and am quite happy with it so that one's not an issue.

Yep from PCLos to Slack is possible too:

# mkdir /mnt/hdb7# mount /dev/hdb7 /mnt/hdb7# cp /home/sue/<file_name>  /mnt/hdb7/home/sue/<file_name>

Then once booted in Salckware change ownership on the file:

# chown sue:users /home/sue/<file_name>

Next move it to the right placeB) Bruno

Yep from PCLos to Slack is possible too:
# mkdir /mnt/hdb7# mount /dev/hdb7 /mnt/hdb7# cp /home/sue/<file_name>  /mnt/hdb7/home/sue/<file_name>

Then once booted in Salckware change ownership on the file:

# chown sue:users /home/sue/<file_name>

Next move it to the right placeB) Bruno

Thanks, I'll give that a try!Now I just have to find all the right files (just kidding!). B)

Hi SueHere is another way:In PCLos give this command:

# mount /dev/hdb7 /mnt/hdb7# mkdir /mnt/hdb7/home/sue/TEST

Next: Open a terminal and type ( as user): "kdesu konqueror" . . the browser will open . . now type in the addressbar "file:/home/sue"Now open a new terminal and type "kdesu konqueror" again . . and this time type in your browser "file:/mnt/hdb7/home/sue/TEST"Now you can drag files from your /home/sue to /mnt/hdb7/home/sue/TEST ( because you opened the filemanagers as "root" B) )Drag the files you need to /mnt/hdb7/home/sue/TEST . . ( later when booted in Slackware we will change ownership on the /home/sue/TEST directory so all the permissions will be set correctly before you move the files to their definite place )So . . when finished moving files . . . reboot and start up Slackware . . . next do:

# chown -R sue:users /home/sue/TEST

After that you can move the files over to the FF and TB foldersB) Bruno

Bruno, my problem is I can't find the files I'm looking for. I know they're there somewhere...I've seen them...but right now I don't know where anything is.And here Louis called me a geek goddess. Yeah, maybe a blind one. Sheesh!

Maybe if you tell us exactly what files you are looking for we can tell you where to look :DB) BrunoI have to leave for a little while, but there will be others to tell you where to look B)

V.T. Eric Layton

FF and T-bird stuff is ALL in the .mozilla and .thunderbird directories within you /home directory. Make sure you have your settings in Konquerer to show hidden files. Just copy the entire contents of each of those directories and paste them into the corresponding directories within Slack.

I found Fx under /home/sue/.mozilla and T'bird is under /home/sue/.thunderbird. All I want from Fx is my bookmarks and T'bird has reminderfox, which I need as it's a calendar program. And I can find neither.

Make sure you have your settings in Konquerer to show hidden files. Just copy the entire contents of each of those directories and paste them into the corresponding directories within Slack.
Umm, how do I do that?

Hi SueIn the konqueror filebrowswer select "View"--> "Show hidden files" from the menubarThe FF bookmarks are here: /home/sue/.mozilla/firefox/<number>.default/bookmarks.htmlB) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Unless you copy and paste the entire .thunderbird directory contents into the .thunderbird in Slack, you'll have to manually install the ReminderFox extension back into T-bird, and you won't have your saved dates and stuff.There's no harm in copying the entire directory contents from .mozilla and .thunderbird into the same directories in Slack. You must remember to delete the contents of the Slack directories first, though... and don't have FF or TB running when you make these adjustments. :thumbsup:

Hi SueIn the konqueror filebrowswer select "View"--> "Show hidden files" from the menubarThe FF bookmarks are here: /home/sue/.mozilla/firefox/<number>.default/bookmarks.htmlB) Bruno
I knew that yet I couldn't remember how to do it. This may not have been the best day to attempt this.LOLThanks again Bruno.:thumbsup:

In any case, when you copy from partition to partition ( not needed if you do it with a CD ) you need to reset the permissions/ownership of the files you copy !!!:thumbsup: Bruno

Thanks for you help Eric.:(

In any case, when you copy from partition to partition ( not needed if you do it with a CD ) you need to reset the permissions/ownership of the files you copy !!!:thumbsup: Bruno
So I guess I'd best pick me up some CDs this weekend, eh?LOL

Just do it the way I wrote up in post #12 . . that is the easiest way ( sure the commandline is better . . . :thumbsup: ) . . . . and you are allowed to do things the "easy" way now and then :DB) Bruno

Yesterday I probably could've followed the comman line instructions. Maybe evern tomorrow, who knows? But today's a wash out. I should never have gotten out of bed this morning. :thumbsup: But I'm happy, I've got my bookmarks.:(

V.T. Eric Layton

That's an advantage to having those Moz Backups on either a Fat32 storage partition or on external media... when you copy/paste them into your various distros, you don't need to worry about permissions. :thumbsup:

I'm happy, I've got my bookmarks.:thumbsup:
Hurrrrray !!
That's an advantage to having those Moz Backups on either a Fat32 storage partition or on external media... when you copy/paste them into your various distros, you don't need to worry about permissions. :(
Yep that is true . . . or a gmail account and store them online works too :DB) Bruno

That's an advantage to having those Moz Backups on either a Fat32 storage partition or on external media... when you copy/paste them into your various distros, you don't need to worry about permissions. :(
Thanks Eric...maybe tomorrow.:)Bookmarks and T'Bird are as they should be.
Hurrrrray !! Yep that is true . . . or a gmail account and store them online works too :DB) Bruno
I notice it says I'm a Post Master...maybe that should read Pest Master instead. :thumbsup:

Heh! I just became a "Thread Head" myself the other day. :w00t:
Oooh, congrats!Now that I've had a good night's sleep, I'll be back to reading up on Bruno's tutorial today. I will learn this Linux stuff, I will I tell ya! :w00t: