Always a New User

raymac46

I have been reading this interesting book by Kevin Kelly. One point he makes that I particularly like is that things are changing all the time in technology to the point where we are perpetually new users. You know the kind of people that Bruno never liked us to call by name around here - and he was right because none of us could ever say that they were so expert they didn't have to learn anything new.

Kelly states that we cannot say we know it all because a lot of stuff we'll use in the next 30 years (assuming we last that long) has not been developed yet. We may see the trends but the outcome isn't determined.

Just thinking back over the past 10 years of Linux use I have had to cope with this stuff arriving on the scene:

• Wifi
  • 64 bit technology
  • Flat screen monitors
  • Multithread processors
  • Network printers
  • Streaming video music and games
  • Android tablets
  • SSDs
  • ISOs on thumbdrives
  • Virtual computing

And that isn't an exhaustive list. Even if I knew a lot about Linux (which I don't) there will be more things coming along I'll have to learn I am sure. The idea of being a perpetual new user doesn't bother me though - hopefully I'll keep my mind active.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Whisky.

Bull Durham tobacky.

Fresh air.

Clean water.

Much less noise.

Et cetera...

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

An old Sears catalog, some occasional lime, and a stiff breeze and you have no troubles with that outhouse. ;) No AC wouldn't matter as long as I was out West... N. New Mexico, Wyoming, etc. Electricity? Bah! Wouldn't need that for anything. Wouldn't have anything that needed electricity. Oil lamps and candles work fine and dandy. :yes:

Aww... what's a few inconveniences when you'd have such a simple, pleasant life? ;)

• Like 1

Hedon James

I might have to agree with VT on this one. After watching the movie Cast Away in the theaters as a new release, someone said it was basically a remake of Robin Crusoe, then asked me what I thought of it. I replied that I thought it was interesting, and done well, but I couldn't get past the basic premise of the movie. I was pressed to elaborate. In a nutshell, I found it hard to accept that a guy who was shipwrecked in paradise would waste 4 years of his life trying to figure out a way to escape that?!

Newsflash....if I'm ever shipwrecked on a deserted paradise....don't bother looking for me. Even if you find the location, I'll be hiding from the search party. Even if the search party finds me, I'm not coming back with them... Just declare me dead and go away!

• Like 2

Wish I could afford to go to one. :(

half a teaspoon of sea salt mixed with a bit of hot water makes a delightful slurry to brush yer teeth with. Sorts out loads of toothy problems. :biggrin:

Kelly states that we cannot say we know it all because a lot of stuff we'll use in the next 30 years (assuming we last that long) has not been developed yet. We may see the trends but the outcome isn't determined.

He has been reading,

cryogenics%2BXKCD.png

:biggrin: