Any distribution for cleaning up viruses (windows)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Reynaldo

Reynaldo

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

I'm thinking to login on a arch based distribution, updated repositories and then download clamav and do a full scan but.. is there a distro already avaible for this? i saw bitdefender rescue, i heard its based on xubuntu.. any input is appreciated.
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:36 AM

http://www.sysresccd.org/System-tools  :shifty:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:28 AM

Hello,

Most anti-malware vendors offer a LiveCD to do this.  You might want to check out the Trinity Rescue Kit, which incorporate five different anti-malware programs onto one CD.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP (Windows - IT Pro)

Facebook Google+ personal blog personal website Twitter

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

I use Trinity Rescue Kit. I also am downloading Hiren's BootCD (Direct Download link - I got from WindowsSecrets Newsletter - It's hard to find the download link on their website.)

Edited by LilBambi, 24 April 2014 - 10:09 AM.

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   arochester

arochester

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

I have successfully used Kaspersky which is based in Gentoo.

I first read this site: http://foss-boss.blo...-kaspersky.html

The site is now a bit old and I think the most recent disk is #10.

#6 OFFLINE   Reynaldo

Reynaldo

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Thanks everyone for their input, i'll download some of those to help friends cleaning their messy windows :P
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Have fun!

NOTE: Trinity also allows you to empty all the caches on the system which is often where malware hides. And all of them have some command line tools so you can look for files so you can play the game in Application Data or AppData and other locations. It's called "Which one of these things doesn't belong." And you better have another computer near by to do some live research. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,202 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hiya, arochester!

Long time, no seeum. :)

#9 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,048 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

Very nice list everyone but I do not think the Kaspersky one is still being developed as the server doesn't show a newer version that the one released in 2009:
http://devbuilds.kas...lds/RescueDisk/
http://devbuilds.kas....com/devbuilds/
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#10 OFFLINE   Reynaldo

Reynaldo

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

Just in case anyone wondering, one creative try was using any distribution and downloading clamav on the live environment, atm trying with elementary OS
and gotta say... WOW this looks beautifull

Screenshot:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Good one Reynaldo! :yes: And yes, it is beautiful!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

i know kaspersky works, and yes, it's been years since a new one was released, and a couple of years passed lapsed after the previous one was released.

but the definitions are current, and if one wants to go through the trouble, one can have today's difinitions in the iso you burn to disk.

kaspersky gets the victim well enough to finish the job in windows itself. (and you almost always have to be in windows using native tools to finish the job.)
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

Temmu said pretty much what I was going to say.  I still use Kaspersky; has been my go to for years.  I guess they just figured the software as it has been since 09 works good enough and pulls all current virus definitions.

Fran, you mentioned Hiron's Boot CD, I ALWAYS keep a current version of that on CD and on a USB thumb drive.  I use it ALL the time when I am brought laptops to load and ALAS......They don't know the password to get into it, or the one they give me is wrong.  I even managed to get someone out on the ship to download it and walked them through via email and A LOT of screenshots  :)  (Another nice thing about VM's and booting live media to get screenies ;)  ) and got their laptop unlocked after 3 failed attempts rendered the laptop locked out .  :thumbsup:

Just saying, seems when Windows is sick..........It's normally "LINUX" that ends up healing it.....   Just sayin'  :hysterical:  But, Eric's Nuke it into Orbit has been pretty successful as well not to mention, sometimes MUCH less of a headache. :thumbsup:
Ian Chase

Try Parted Magic The must have tool for any linux user's tool box.  (Contains Gparted, wifi support, Clonezilla, SuperGrubDisk/2, plop bootloader and more!!!)
CNI Radio

"I'm in repair.............I'm not together, but I'm getting there"
- John Mayer

Registered Linux User:  526317 10/22/2010
  Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

:thumbup:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

Hello,

You may also wish to try ESET SysRescue Live, a new¹ Linux² live CD/USB.  It's free to download and use (no ESET license required), and will download virus signature database updates if there's a network connection (plus save them on the USB version),

Main Page:  ESET SysRescue Live
ESET Live USB/CD Creator (Windows):  http://download.eset...creator_enu.exe
ESET SysRescue Live ISO:  http://download.eset...1.0.9.0.enu.iso
ESET SysRescue Live Manual:  http://download.eset...erguide_enu.pdf

The program  has been in development for several months now and is based on ESET's UNIX programs (ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Linux Desktops and ESET Cyber Security for Mac OS X).

In addition to being able to detect and remove malware, the ISO also contains a few goodies (MemTest86+, GParted, Chromium web browser, remote connection tools for contact ESET support, etc.)

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

¹Released today.
²Ubuntu, I think.
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky

#16 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

o, wow, i was hoping eset would create such a thing! that is good news indeed! thanks, aryeh!

am downloading now!

ichase, indeed so, linux to the rescue! - microsoft has some rescue tools, but only rather large enterprises have access to them, and am pretty sure they don't help with malware of any kind.
Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Awesome, Aryeh!

Snagging right now! Yea! At least it is less than 400MB much better than some!

Thank you ESET!!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

Hello,

The previous version was based on WinPE and required every user to download a copy of WAIK in order to make it (1.3GB download), so this is seen as being a lot lighter.

Plus, it has some additional utilities on it as well (which I'm hoping will update/increase in the future).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

View PostLilBambi, on 30 April 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Awesome, Aryeh!

Snagging right now! Yea! At least it is less than 400MB much better than some!

Thank you ESET!!

Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky

#19 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:53 AM

That is great news!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   Reynaldo

Reynaldo

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

Ye really good news, i've downloaded it already and gonna test it soon
Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

Great post, may have to give ESET a try, thanks for the tip Aryeh.  :thumbsup: Can NEVER have too many tools in the ol' tool box.  Most if not ALL are based on......................Come on now..................Starts with an "L" ends with an "X"  ;)
Ian Chase

Try Parted Magic The must have tool for any linux user's tool box.  (Contains Gparted, wifi support, Clonezilla, SuperGrubDisk/2, plop bootloader and more!!!)
CNI Radio

"I'm in repair.............I'm not together, but I'm getting there"
- John Mayer

Registered Linux User:  526317 10/22/2010
  Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

So often true Ian. :thumbsup:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

View Postichase, on 01 May 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

..Starts with an "L" ends with an "X"  ;)

um, lox? lux? lynx? can you give us a hint?
Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,202 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

Larynx?

#25 ONLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP