half a day messing with sabayon

wa4chq

I just read Frappers message about messing with a new Linux flavor. I did that as well. I had downloaded Sabayon a while ago and had tried it live. For some reason, I needed to install it so I could play 'The world of Goo' or whatever it's called. I spent a good hour plus trying to install the Sabayon KDE version only to not have it boot. So I wiped the hd and set up 20gb for it, 15gb for /home and left the last 45gb empty. This time I decided to install Sabayon Gnome. After another hour plus it finally installed but I am completely lost. I couldn't install MC, couldn't figure out their package manager....played Goo for a few minutes, got bored and shut it down. Switched to HD2 and booted Slack....ahhhh, home sweet home!......

securitybreach

Well I tried out Sabayon a few years ago and was not very impressed with it. Everything worked OOTB but it took over an hour just to install Firefox and that was one a fast machine(at the time).

Well I tried out Sabayon a few years ago and was not very impressed with it. Everything worked OOTB but it took over an hour just to install Firefox and that was one a fast machine(at the time).
I'm not impressed either. It takes so long just to boot. I still haven't been able to install MC. I've gone to Sabayon forums and FAQ's and have done everything they say to do to install packages, but I keep getting a message saying I need to set the sabayon.org repository up......I've been trying! I would have dumped it today, but I had an errand to run. I'd be curious if anyone else besides us have tried it and what results they had....Thanks for the reply.

securitybreach
I haven't tried Sabayon but I've got to say that nothing that I've read here makes me want to run out and try it... B)
Just ask Eric, he loves Sabayon (Gentoo) :)

I haven't tried Sabayon but I've got to say that nothing that I've read here makes me want to run out and try it... :hysterical:
Totally agree Paul, will definitely scratch this off my list of installs. :thumbup:Ian

I tried Sabayon awhile back, installed without any problems other than the one I created by not paying CLOSE attention to the steps. By that I mean that when it came time to do the boot loader setup I missed it and after all was said and done Sabayon was my "new" default bootloader OS. After a few hours of messing with it, got it back to where it was. Only reason I installed it in the first place was because it had "Second Life" included and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about it. Over all though I had no other problems with it.

Hi everyone long time no see, I am one of the Sabayon core devs, aka wolfden.It's hard to say what the problem is with the original poster, really not info to make a good guess. A good place to start is with our wiki to learn the package manager. It's vital to learn.Package Manager:http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:EntropyFresh Install, what to do first:http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En...-_What_to_do.3FSo quick points - Sulfur is the gui to entropy and equo is the command line to entropy. I recommend using equo for the initial things. It is important to always have the latest package manager.equo update << this will update the repositories list, now if you have problems with that step, try equo update --force Pending on your geographical location, like Asia, this can be troublesome due to the lack of mirrors in that area. Some people find that they are behind a proxy or need to disable ipv6.If that all works out fine, now you are ready to install the latest entropy, equo install entropy sulfur equo --relaxed the --relaxed switch will not pull as many packages, just the needed ones. It should only take a minute or two, depending on your bandwidth speed.Once that is complete, you are free to upgrade the system or just install what you need.equo upgrade << updates your entire system, use the --ask switch to see changes firstequo install foo << will install or update the package foo and it's dependencies equo remove foo << will remove package fooIf you are familiar with apt-get, equo shouldn't be all that strange to you. equo --help is a great thing to look over as it gives you a ton of options you can perform. Something like http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En..._Equo_Functions, not sure if that page is fully up to date or not, but give you an idea.Once you get that initial upgrade done, feel free to look at Sulfur and explore it.We will be releasing a 2010 gaming edition soon for christmas. A dvd packed full of games you can play live or install. We usually do this every year at this time.Sabayon's goal is OOTB, it's not perfect and has it's glitches like everything else. Users can file bug reports to help make it better. If filing a bug report, please give as much information as possible, like how to reproduce, log files, error messages, hardware, etc.... With so much hardware out there, it's impossible to get it all. We rely on the users to help report bugs as our dev team is fairly small, but very dedicated. I usually try to keep users up on things on my blog that posts to the Sabayon blog site:http://wolf911.us/wgo/ posts to http://planet.sabayon.org/An understanding of gentoo/portage helps with this distro, but is not required. We run bleeding edge stuff and try to keep it in a sane environment so it doesn't break users desktops. Our kernel upgrade procedure needs work yet, but the good thing is, a new kernel should never be automatically pulled. We use to do that and too many users were left with a blinking cursor upon reboot as they didn't understand that you also need to install the modules/drivers with each kernel upgrade. Our procedure is one of my biggest pet peeves, hopefully we come up with something better.Sabayon isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it's worth keeping an eye one and trying it out here and there. If 5.4 utterly fails for you, try the next release. I see that often with users. Happy Computing and thanks for message Barry!

I am just waiting to get a bigger hard drive and I will definitely install Sabayon even if it is not the default distro.I would be uncomfortable trying installing gentoo ( which I have done ) but whenever I had Sabayon ( must have used it for about 6 months a few years ago ) the install was fairly easy ( it was slow I have to admit ) and I had just about everything running without me doing anything.I am booting the Gnome version in Vbox right now and replying from it while watching the CBC local news at the same time without me doing anything. My network was figured out and Firefox got online. The codecs are already operating. What else can I say.

Thanks Kelly for dropping in, really appreciate it....For those of you that don't Kelly, he's came first came into SFNL a while back, not only did he have a strong grasp of Linux ..then became a Sabayon junkie(well was that when he got here too)...if you trot over to the sabayon forum you will see him everywhere. Anyway, I called for help on this...for a few reasons, but mostly, while I have a version of sabayon running, I'm nowhere near Kelly's level. The other is as long as I known him (even though he is a Sabayon junkie) he's been straight with the good, the bad...and the confusing with that distro.

Hi everyone long time no see, I am one of the Sabayon core devs, aka wolfden.It's hard to say what the problem is with the original poster, really not info to make a good guess. A good place to start is with our wiki to learn the package manager. It's vital to learn.Package Manager:http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:EntropyFresh Install, what to do first:http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En...-_What_to_do.3FSo quick points - Sulfur is the gui to entropy and equo is the command line to entropy. I recommend using equo for the initial things. It is important to always have the latest package manager.equo update << this will update the repositories list, now if you have problems with that step, try equo update --force Pending on your geographical location, like Asia, this can be troublesome due to the lack of mirrors in that area. Some people find that they are behind a proxy or need to disable ipv6.If that all works out fine, now you are ready to install the latest entropy, equo install entropy sulfur equo --relaxed the --relaxed switch will not pull as many packages, just the needed ones. It should only take a minute or two, depending on your bandwidth speed.Once that is complete, you are free to upgrade the system or just install what you need.equo upgrade << updates your entire system, use the --ask switch to see changes firstequo install foo << will install or update the package foo and it's dependencies equo remove foo << will remove package fooIf you are familiar with apt-get, equo shouldn't be all that strange to you. equo --help is a great thing to look over as it gives you a ton of options you can perform. Something like http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En..._Equo_Functions, not sure if that page is fully up to date or not, but give you an idea.Once you get that initial upgrade done, feel free to look at Sulfur and explore it.We will be releasing a 2010 gaming edition soon for christmas. A dvd packed full of games you can play live or install. We usually do this every year at this time.Sabayon's goal is OOTB, it's not perfect and has it's glitches like everything else. Users can file bug reports to help make it better. If filing a bug report, please give as much information as possible, like how to reproduce, log files, error messages, hardware, etc.... With so much hardware out there, it's impossible to get it all. We rely on the users to help report bugs as our dev team is fairly small, but very dedicated. I usually try to keep users up on things on my blog that posts to the Sabayon blog site:http://wolf911.us/wgo/ posts to http://planet.sabayon.org/An understanding of gentoo/portage helps with this distro, but is not required. We run bleeding edge stuff and try to keep it in a sane environment so it doesn't break users desktops. Our kernel upgrade procedure needs work yet, but the good thing is, a new kernel should never be automatically pulled. We use to do that and too many users were left with a blinking cursor upon reboot as they didn't understand that you also need to install the modules/drivers with each kernel upgrade. Our procedure is one of my biggest pet peeves, hopefully we come up with something better.Sabayon isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it's worth keeping an eye one and trying it out here and there. If 5.4 utterly fails for you, try the next release. I see that often with users. Happy Computing and thanks for message Barry!
Thanks for the info and it sounds like Sabayon has a lot to offer and it really did look very nice.My original posting was really nothing more then saying that I was playing around with a distro that I had made as a live cd and decided to install to an empty partition to see how it performed. I didn't really go into detail about what all I did etc. because that really wasn't why I posted. I did visit the wiki and forums to see how to use the package manager both gui (Sulphur) and cli.(equo). I did "equo update" (but not with the --force as I maybe should have) and the result was, supposedly that everything was up to snuff and updated. Every time I tried to install MC which I had downloaded to my home folder....I don't remember exactly the format...bz2???? (please understand that I am not using Sabayon right now, so I can't give you the exact wording of the error message I received) but using 'equo install *.bz2' I would receive the message saying that I needed to set up or update the repository with Sabayon.org ...which I thought I had already done. I had the same problem with the gui..... Also, I was surprised that booting took forever....and other things just seemed to be a little slow compared to some of the other flavors I've played with.Bottom line is I was curious about the distro, I tried it but to be honest, I don't really like Gnome or KDE and most of the stuff that come with installing everything on a disk. That includes Slack which I use 99% of the time. I'll usually install the complete disk only to run Fluxbox and then customize the menu so I can access the things I want and not have to navigate a huge menu just to find xterm....or I just type the command from xterm and not bother with the menu....yes I know I can do that with KDE and Gnome.....but I just likes what I likes! Thanks again for the info.Don't forget to look up in the sky early tomorrow morning everyone, hoping the sky will be clear.....wish I had a tripod!!!

You maybe more interested in our corecdx than. Basically it's a fluxbox and that is it. It's ment for people that want more customization. Midnight Commander can simply be installed via entropy:equo install app-misc/mcLike you say tho, need to get that repository list updated first. Most of time we find that it is an issue with the network, proxy, ipv6, firewall, poor connection, distance from server. Maybe this can help with mirrors http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En...itories_mirrors I see you're in Virginia, mirrors shouldn't be an issue.Slow boot? I am wondering if some sort of cheat code would help or a modification to the grub line once installed. Grub2 is kinda evil if you ask me. Grub2 and pulseaudio are very common complaints we get.http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?tit...ematic_HardwareOn boot, hit the alt f1 or f2 key to watch the boot up process and see if it's getting stuck for a period of time while booting. That could lead to a clue as to why it is slow. Mine boots really fast. I love using USB drives to make a live disk, the performance is just unbelievable compared to a cd or dvd. I use unetbootin to make my live usb sticks.I use to be a slackware user also, still one of my top favorites. The nice thing about linux, we got choices and not forced into one particular system. Thanks for giving us a try.Weather isn't so great here unfortunately, snow and blowing snow.

Thanks for the reply and comments. To be fair to Sabayon, I stated that it took forever to boot. Turns out the HD is not quite up to snuff. I downloaded disks 1 and 2 of Slackware 13.1 today and installed them on the same hd as the one I used for testing Sabayon. It took 4m10s to boot. On a different hd, I booted Slack in less then 2m's....that's using the huge!! kernel....I don't think this will make me switch permanently to Sabayon, but I may give it another try.So, who saw the eclipse early this morning? I know I was out there....in fact, I think a saw a couple of Penguins! On another side note...I have spent some time in Vancouver BC mostly during the winter....there is someone close to the Maritime Museum that either likes penguins or is a linux fan because they set up lighted penguins out on their porch during the Christmas holidays....I've seen it several times over the past six years....in fact, I make it point to take photos of it every time I'm out that way during the holidays! Merry Christmas everyone!