Eclipse Photos- She Blinded Me With Science...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

Hi, All-

I started out on the deck with this contraption, but soon moved
it out front in the driveway to get away from tree limbs..

Posted Image

This was an idea I stole whole off of the internet. Worked perfectly. It's a 'pinhole viewer'. Expected
image size is 0.01 times the length. It's 6ft of box (72in), so we expected (and got) an image of
abnout 0.72 in width. That's about 3/4 inch. See why this is way better than a crumby old shoe box?
Anyway, it did the job..

.Posted Image

The faint crescent you see is our sun coming out of the 80+ percent eclipse seen in the mid-Atlantic
region. At peak time of 2:42PM local, that crescent was real skinny like a new moon. That little 'smile'
just kept getting wider and wider; started to resemble a jack o'lantern smile to me... The moon is
moving away to the right in my reverse image here. Started out a real skinny crescent- it's starting to
get noticeably wider in this shot... 1/16 inch, 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch. Eventually I became bored
(and overheated) and went back inside to enjoy the air conditioning. This renews my belief in
science, the universe, and everything. By golly, them scientist guys are the real deal, Martha! Vivid
visual proof of celestial mechanics and what not. (She blinded me with science!)

Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet, 21 August 2017 - 09:13 PM.

Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Mel- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

#2 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:47 PM

Where i live there was about 95% coverage. It was odd - wearing eclipse glasses you could see the moon in front of the Sun, but without the glasses there was nothing occluding the Sun, it was full sunshine. You didn't see the Moon transiting the Sun.
Yeah, temps dropped about 10 degrees for about 30 minutes and for about 10 minutes the hue seemed duller but you couldn't see anything like a shadow or anything at all.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,042 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:56 PM

Awesome!! It was about 80% in my area but I was able to catch it a different stages outside with some glasses a friend ordered off of amazon. I was at work during the day so I couldn't be out there all day due to appointments I made.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   Dr. J

Dr. J

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:30 AM

Cool! I envy you guys a bit. Over on this side of the water we only got 5% coverage, and a thick cloud cover blocked the whole thing from view. :unsure:
/usr/bin/drinking
~/hungover

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,199 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:27 AM

Great job on the pinhole viewer, David. That was slicker 'n snot on a glass doorknob!

#6 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,042 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:41 AM

Agree :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#7 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

In the Ottawa area we had about 60% coverage. At peak time I thought I detected a slight dimming of light but it might have been cloud cover. Where I live the big one is scheduled for 2024 if I make it that far.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,199 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

View Postraymac46, on 23 August 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

...if I make it that far.

That's the spirit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic