Bill Gates shows poor kids taking online classes using Ubuntu

securitybreach

securitybreach

I guess ole Bill is coming around....

I really don’t know if Bill Gates, the created of Windows empire, manages his Facebook page or if it’s been updated by some PR folk.

Today some readers caught a Bill Gates’s post about his Foundation’s efforts to ‘revolutionize’ learning in schools.

The irony of the post was that the picture attached with the post showed (above) kids using Ubuntu Linux.

seEnXQX.png

http://www.linuxveda...s-using-ubuntu/

• Like 2

No surprise to me as Bill has been using linux for a long time, though it seems to have been a well kept secret.

MS Linux: Shipping in November 2003

How do I get MS Linux?

We are now offering the MS Linux Introductory CD at a special introductory price of only $249.99 (plus shipping and handling), if you order before it ships.

MS Linux is released under the provisions of the Gates Private License, which means you can freely use this Software on a single machine without warranty after having paid the purchase price and annual renewal fees.

An the present CEO of MS loves linux too.

Redmond top man Satya Nadella: 'Microsoft LOVES Linux'

"Microsoft loves Linux" is generally not something one expects to hear, but that was one of the messages that Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella delivered at a San Francisco media event touting Redmond's cloud offerings on Monday.

According to Nadella, 20 per cent of Microsoft's Azure cloud is already Linux and the software giant plans to always have first-class support for Linux distributions in its public cloud offerings.

To demonstrate Microsoft's commitment, Nadella announced support for the container-friendly CoreOS distro on Monday, making it the fifth officially supported flavor of Linux on Azure along with CentOS, Oracle Linux, Suse, and Ubuntu.

Asked whether Azure customers can expect to see Red Hat Enterprise Linux running on Microsoft's cloud soon, Nadella said Redmond would very much like to do business with Red Hat but had nothing to announce so far.

I recon the Bill hates linux campaign of yesteryear was just a smoke screen meself. :pirate:

Dead and buried: Microsoft's holy war on open-source software

Time was when Microsoft executives thought nothing about publicly dissing open-source software as distinctly un-American.

''Open source is an intellectual-property destroyer,'' former Windows chief Jim Allchin famously quipped in 2001. ''I can't imagine something that could be worse than this for the software business and the intellectual-property business.''

"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches," former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told the Chicago Sun Times a few months later. "That's the way that the license works."

Last month, the company finally made official its unofficial decision to incorporate some open-source code into its developer and programming languages. More recently, Microsoft put 22-year company veteran Mark Hill in charge of a global group to cultivate open-source developers to write applications that work with Azure, the Microsoft cloud service that competes against the likes of Rackspace, Google, and Amazon.

Steve Ballmer's no longer the CEO. What's Sayta Nadella's role in pushing for the mindset change?

Hill: I would just say that as a company, Microsoft is very forward-looking and we understand that in a devices and services world, the game needs to change. Many years ago, we began building in very good support for Linux and open source in Azure and this is just a continuation of that. Again, we need to appeal to a very broad market.

Yup things certainly have changed since the early days. It seems MS has been dabbling with open source stuff for some time behind the scenes.

:breakfast:

• Like 2