Invasion of Privacy?

ebrke

From an article in the Washington Post detailing how people will comparison shop online while in a brick and mortar store:

. . . when customers enter any of its physical stores and log onto the WiFi networks there . . . Amazon’s patent describes a system that can identify a customer’s Internet traffic and sense when the smartphone user is trying to access a competitor’s website.
Article goes on to say Amazon could then block traffic to competitor's website or redirect to its own website or direct coupons to shopper's smart phone to keep them in the Amazon orbit. :thumbsdown: I'm assuming you could thwart this by not allowing your phone to connect to their in-store wi-fi, but it's still a worrisome development.

Complete article here:

https://www.washingt...-in-its-stores/

Edited by ebrke

securitybreach

Well first of all, this is just a patent and I do not know of any actual amazon B&M stores around yet. Plus, you have to actually be logged into their wifi for this to even work. Personally I do not have an issue with this as when you are on their network, they set the terms anyway. If you do not like the service, simply do not use the in store wifi. Problem solved..

• Like 2

Well first of all, this is just a patent and I do not know of any actual amazon B&M stores around yet. Plus, you have to actually be logged into their wifi for this to even work. Personally I do not have an issue with this as when you are on their network, they set the terms anyway. If you do not like the service, simply do not use the in store wifi. Problem solved..

Also it is a bit a cheek to stand in someones shop looking at items in real life and the use their wi-fi to shop around on the net for a cheaper price. That is like going into a pub, asking for a glass with ice, sitting down and filling the glass from your hip flask. :ohmy:

• Like 4

securitybreach

Also it is a bit a cheek to stand in someones shop looking at items in real life and the use their wi-fi to shop around on the net for a cheaper price. That is like going into a pub, asking for a glass with ice, sitting down and filling the glass from your hip flask. :ohmy:

Agreed

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

"...they set the terms anyway. If you do not like the service, simply do not use the in store wifi. Problem solved."

I have to agree here. When you use a service provided by someone, it's only reasonable that they set terms and conditions of its use. If you don't like/agree with those terms/practices of the service provider, you have the option to opt out of usage of that service. It is what it is. It's no different that going to your local mechanic's shop or going to the dealer's service center; each have terms and conditions to their services. If you don't like something, go somewhere else.

• Like 2

I actually prefer to buy some things locally than online. Convenience is more important than saving a few dollars on some items.

Case 1: I needed a new battery for a netbook purchased in 2011. We drove to The Battery Warehouse. He had none and checked with another store in the next county and they had none. He told me to try Amazon. I did. I ordered and my order was cancelled because they had none. I ended up going to a chain called Batteries + Bulbs. The replacement is a new duracell and guaranteed for a year. Actually the first one failed in less than a month so I returned to the store and they tested it and agreed. I got my replacement battery which is good for a year from the day I received the replacement, not the date I received the original. It was so much easier to return and get a replacement locally than deal with RMA and postage.

The replacement is working fine. (We had no power for 10 1/2 hours on Tuesday and it got used at home and at a hotspot very hard that day).

Case 2: The same netbook needed a key because one broke and won't stay on the keyboard. (My husband grabbed the netbook to prevent it from falling and the end result was a broken key). Looking a replacement keys is confusing because there are so many different types of clips and "membranes" under the key. We could waste a lot of money trying to get keys and finding they were wrong. We went to quite a few computer repair places, even the Geek Squad! You can tell we were desperate.Eventually we went to a tiny hole in the wall place run by a guy who is a true tech.

He said replace the keyboard. He took the keyboard off in front of us, looked at the codes on the back, went to the computer to see if he could order it and did. 2 days later he called and said the keyboard is in. It took all of 5 minutes to replace and he did it right in front of us so I feel confident I could do it myself. The new keyboard cost $30 and a replacement key would have cost around $5 with no guarantee that I could get it to click in place.

Next, I'm thinking about buying an ssd. I'll have the same guy replace the hd with the ssd.

I am not an impulse buyer so I might go to several stores and compare prices. Then I might come home and search online. I don't search online when I'm in a brick and mortar store because I never owned a smartphone to be able to search.

• Like 3

Hi folks! New to Scot's but I've been around computers forever, well, mid-70s anyway and forums many years too. I see some familiar faces. :) Just joined the site and this thread caught my attention as it seems I am in constant battles with Microsoft and W10 haters over the difference between security and privacy. They insist there is no difference and Microsoft is out to get them. It matters not that Microsoft is not trying to learn their true name, billing address, exact physical location, or hack their passwords, contacts or bank accounts, or compromise their computers for nefarious deeds.

When I remind them their ISPs know everything about them and more, and their cell phone carriers even know who they talked to and texted, where they've been, the aisle of the store they are currently standing in, the direction they are headed and how fast they are traveling, they ignore that. They are just biased and Microsoft is evil. I say it is time to invest in tin; the tinfoil hat wearers are out in full force! ;)

Anyway, this Amazon topic got my attention and in particular, this,

I do not know of any actual amazon B&M stores around yet.
Actually, Amazon already has almost 3 dozen brick and mortar "Pop Up" Stores scattered about the country. But with the news of Amazon buying Whole Foods with its 456 brick and mortar locations, that will greatly expand.

BTW, I am not sure Amazon buying Whole Foods is a good thing (for me anyway) as that will mean Amazon has a physical (brick and mortar) location in my state. And that will mean added sales tax on everything I buy over the Internet from Amazon. And I buy a lot. :(

• Like 4

V.T. Eric Layton

Hiya, Digerati (Bill)!

It's great to have another voice in the mix. I'm looking forward to interacting with you here at Scots. We're an eclectic group with many interests and biases. Yes, there are a few "MS Haters" around here. I fall into that category occasionally, I will admit. Generally, though, we're a relatively sane and happy bunch.

Poke around some. Have some fun!

Regards,

~Eric

Oh, I don't mind MS haters, as long as the criticisms are based in fact and not unsubstantiated biases. I mean, why make things up and exaggerate when Microsoft has done so much to truly warrant criticisms? Especially with some of their marketing and executive decisions. The fact is, their development team is top notch. Other parts of the company, I am not so sure about.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome.

• Like 2

Hello,

I went to the physical Amazon Bookstore in San Diego several weeks ago. It was small(ish) compared to any regular bookstore (I've seen used bookstores that were about as small, but never a chain store this size), had books facing outwards (as opposed to being put in by the spine) on shelves, with selected little reviews from them on cards below each title. Every time someone entered the store, an employee said a very artificial-sounding welcome message. They also sold Kindles and accessories for them.

All in all, though, I didn't see any reason to go back. It made for a very rushed feeling, although that may have been due to the size of the store and volume of people in it at the time I went. Still, I prefer larger bookstores which can offer a wider variety of titles.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

Amazon has a warehouse in our area so I've been paying sales tax for quite a few years.

PA makes you determine what you purchased online and did not pay tax on. Then you take 6% of the amount and add it onto your state tax return. So it is easier for me if sales tax is included. I don't have to add more taxes owed to my return.

• Like 1

PA makes you determine what you purchased online and did not pay tax on. Then you take 6% of the amount and add it onto your state tax return.
Nebraska does the same but at this point in time, Internet sites are not required to report sales to the state. So I just guess though I am sure I guess low.

V.T. Eric Layton
Oh, I don't mind MS haters, as long as the criticisms are based in fact and not unsubstantiated biases. I mean, why make things up and exaggerate when Microsoft has done so much to truly warrant criticisms? Especially with some of their marketing and executive decisions. The fact is, their development team is top notch. Other parts of the company, I am not so sure about.Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome.

Actually, while I may not jump and cheer for all things MS these days, there was a time when I really, really enjoyed Windows (most 98SE and XP until SP3). MS really did some amazing things. They offered amazing software and operating systems at one time. My initial experiences, like most folks, with modern computers and the Internet were facilitated by many MS products and information.

But, one day...I found Linux and it was another world entirely; a world of fun and exciting new things and new ways of doing old things. I never looked back. Confession: I do still have a Windows installation on my main machine (Win 7 Enterprise). It is primarily for local (on system) gaming. Networking is disabled, so no Internet access with this Windows. While gaming is possible in Linux there are too many extra steps that need to be taken to run games designed for MS Windows, so... being a lazy person by nature, I just keep an active Windows installation to play those games. :)

I had a lot of fun back in the day with MS Win 98 and XP. No regrets.

V.T. Eric Layton

Amazon has a warehouse in our area so I've been paying sales tax for quite a few years.

PA makes you determine what you purchased online and did not pay tax on. Then you take 6% of the amount and add it onto your state tax return. So it is easier for me if sales tax is included. I don't have to add more taxes owed to my return.

Amazon warehouse near me, too. I rarely buy anything from Amazon. I guess I'm the odd guy out. I prefer eBay or Half.com, myself. For books, though, I purchase used (very cheaply) from my favorite bookseller online... ThriftBooks. Um... no. That was not a paid advert. ;)

• Like 1

Since I'm looking to downsize the books we have, I now either use Hoopla or Overdrive on Android to borrow a book or I go to the library to get books.

• Like 1

But, one day...I found Linux and it was another world entirely; a world of fun and exciting new things and new ways of doing old things. I never looked back.

I really wish others would take this approach to computing. Except for serious gaming, there is almost nothing you can do on a Windows based system that you can't do with Linux.

Microsoft would not be where they are today if they created lousy products. And while I sure don't like some of the PR/marketing schemes and executive policies they have implemented over the years, they really have done much more good than bad. Yet many really are simply biased against them as an entire entity - which is simply wrong.

Microsoft as been good to me personally. As seen through the link in my name, they have recognized me 10 years in a row for my contributions helping folks with their computer - this in spite of the fact, I have publicly been very critical of some of those PR/marketing schemes and executive policies. I say bash - when due. But not just to bash - especially without merit.

And regardless one's personal feelings towards Microsoft (or Bill Gates or corporate greed), that's no excuse to steal from them. While I don't like some of the terms of the license agreements, I feel if we agree to them (by clicking "I have read" and continuing to use the product) we should abide by them. If someone does not want to do that, use Linux!

Speaking of Invasion of Privacy (the real topic of this thread), did you note Google's announcement they will no longer be reading our GMail messages for targeted ads? Frankly, it never bothered me (or most users either) but this is big news. It means businesses will be more willing to use gmail - hopefully that's a good thing.

As far as Amazon blocking comparison shopping, to me, that's just cause to not use their "free" wifi.

V.T. Eric Layton

Since I'm looking to downsize the books we have, I now either use Hoopla or Overdrive on Android to borrow a book or I go to the library to get books.

Oh, I downsized (from nearly 15K editions) a few years ago. I'm still working on unboxing and unloading a bunch more (No, Fran. I haven't forgotten about you. :) ). I do still prefer real dead tree books over virtual reading. I utilize my library often (and Inter-Library Loan programs, too). However, some books I just like to have physically in my personal possession; most are non-fiction, like my numerous Physics and Cosmology books.

I wish I had a bigger house. I could have more books then. ;)