222 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

Good morning Cappy...I've been reading the mail.  It sounds like you're having a great time tinkering with everything.  I read you mentioned having different os's on separate hard drives and having to deal with plugging and unplugging.....  I don't know the whole situation so you may have done this or maybe it won't apply in your setup, but when I put together my now in storage desktop, I had three hard drives each containing a different OS.  I bought a hard drive switch that worked great.  Again, might not apply to your situation.
On another tack, it sound like you are enjoying Slackware.....Slack is where it's at!  I saw somewhere you mention Slackware 8.....if you wanna have fun and have some old machines laying around, consider giving this a try:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/
I've been curious about linux for a while, mostly as a hobby.  The guys here on BATL are gods....well, most of them  :) and I wish I knew just a fraction of what they know.   I have a time understanding some of this stuff but I still enjoy reading about it or trying something else new.  The link to Basic Linux was a huge challenge for me because that was in my case, ground zero.  It's name "basic linux" is deceiving because it really is more of journey into the early days of Slackware....a Slackware Time Machine.......
Have a great day everybody.

Posted Image
REGISTERED LINUX USER #547579

#202 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:37 AM

View PostCapt.Crow, on 11 August 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

As a fall back * Seamonkey * ...after that WM3. :th_1sm330office-work: :party0036: :Muahaha:
W3M?

Posted Image

#203 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,225 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

WM3?

http://www.mockett.c...nagers/wm3.html ???

http://www.lowrance....dule_en-us.aspx ???

https://en.wikipedia...t_Memphis_Three ???

#204 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

OK....thought he was talking about this:
https://box.matto.nl/w3m.html

Posted Image

#205 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,225 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

That's probably what he is talking about, actually. ;)

#206 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

I thought so since he says "It's a mouldy old cmd line browser."  :)
I actually gave it a try about 30 minutes ago.....it's a lot better I think then Lynx or Links...... but then 30 minutes isn't really much testin'.....
(just checked the WM3 site, your last link.....  I think I know them.)  Before checking that sight but just seeing your link, I was thinking maybe former Elvis body guards....  :)

Edited by wa4chq, 15 December 2016 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image

#207 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

Eh, I prefer elinks for text browsing..
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#208 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:00 PM

Not a very good representation of Links, Elinks, Lynx and W3M but here's a screenshot
Posted Image

Posted Image

#209 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

Update:- Hows this for a doozy . Today my recycled lcd. tv. ( from a skip) decided to not work and I felt really let down as I had wanted to watch the dvd movie "Van Helsing" I've seen it before and enjoyed it so I thought that a year later I would watch it again .

Notwithstanding I decided to watch it on the desktop . Popped it in the drawer and looked for the icon to display . No way . Tried to manually mount the drive . Nada Zilch . Upgraded the Kplayer . Nothing . So I looked inside the case . Problem solved . I had disconnected the ide lead to the drive as I had put in a hard drive instead . So I could run Deb. Only one ide slot and no less than 6 sata slots . So no movie as I was NOT going to dismantle everything just as I had upgraded and updated everything Deb.
If I get time tomorrow I will do it in daylight .
Sometimes I feel soooo Skewpid . :bangin:
Linux counter no . 393441

#210 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostCapt.Crow, on 23 January 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

Update:- Hows this for a doozy . Today my recycled lcd. tv. ( from a skip) decided to not work and I felt really let down as I had wanted to watch the dvd movie "Van Helsing" I've seen it before and enjoyed it so I thought that a year later I would watch it again .

Notwithstanding I decided to watch it on the desktop . Popped it in the drawer and looked for the icon to display . No way . Tried to manually mount the drive . Nada Zilch . Upgraded the Kplayer . Nothing . So I looked inside the case . Problem solved . I had disconnected the ide lead to the drive as I had put in a hard drive instead . So I could run Deb. Only one ide slot and no less than 6 sata slots . So no movie as I was NOT going to dismantle everything just as I had upgraded and updated everything Deb.
If I get time tomorrow I will do it in daylight .
Sometimes I feel soooo Skewpid . :bangin:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B00310MFPY

Resists making witty remark :whistling:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#211 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

That looks like a desirable piece of kit .

Well this morning I gathered up my tools and put on my best geek hat and went upstairs all ready to cause mayhem and have screws and leads flying all over .
Took the idea to switch the old LG on ...Shock and awe!! the furbying thing worked flawlessly .
All I can think of is that it was phoning home last night and did not want to be disturbed . :rant: :rant: :rant:

#212 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

Last night (after motorboating for a week of so ) the sound positively refused to co-operate. Tried a lot of stuff to get the audio back on the desktop. No way would it do its thing . So as it was way past my sleep mode I took out the biggest hammer I could find.*synaptic*Logged on and d/loaded every Pulse file I could find . Installed and rebooted. Still nothing . So somehow after going into zombie mode I started rooting around in the file system . Opened GNOME MPlayer and fiddled about a bit suddenly there it was,A little red X beside a speaker icon . Clicked it and it went away . Restarted the desktop and lo and behold the great one in the file system granted me sounds and audio again .
I gave up circa 50Mb of precious hard drive space .But it was worth it .
I wish I could remember the path I took ,I tried to retrace my steps again today , no way .
Strange thing about the human brain .When the solution to a problem is imperative it seem to run on automatic .

#213 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,225 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

Troubleshooting 101
  • ALWAYS check the simplest things first.

#214 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostCapt.Crow, on 02 March 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

I wish I could remember the path I took ,I tried to retrace my steps again today , no way .
In Synaptic, File > History.
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#215 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

Had a look there . Good for having a look at the Synaptic history . As noted .Now I have to find the user history so the maze I somehow got through will be revealed .

#216 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:45 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 02 March 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

Troubleshooting 101
  • ALWAYS check the simplest things first.

Yeah like is the grey cell active. :look:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#217 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

I found a very old HP lazerjet 4000T with no toner cartridge put out of an office building some years ago. Some time later I took a punt and paid 30euro for  27A 10000 page cartridge . At first I just could not get it to work so put it away. Today I got it out again and paralleled it to my Debian machine. I had a look in the os anfd found a tweeking program. So I tweeked about a bit ,then tried it out . couldn't believe it when it started up and printed a test page . So in for a penny in for a pound . I dug out a PDF file and that printed too . All in the nick of time as the 4050 has been glitchy for the last six months or so .
Conclusion:- while it may be an older printer it is far superior in the speed quietness and quality of the printed text .
there must be billions of $ worth of no-fault equipment consigned to the waste tips all around the so called enlightened nations .
The world is overloaded with "rich" DORKS. Small wonder there are so many struggling on starvation incomes .

#218 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,225 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:34 PM

Sometimes older is gooder. I have my brother's old HP Laserjet IV out in the shop. It's in pristine condition, but needs a toner cartridge. One day when I have money, I'll buy one. This ol' Laserjet printed fast (12ppm) in super-high quality.

#219 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Well a lot of the issue is finding compatible parts for older hardware. The companies tend to not make things like toner cartridges and compatible anymore. Heck, nowadays they even hardcode expiration dates and signature on ink so you cannot use third party ink and parts.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#220 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Getting harder and harder to hook up this legacy stuff. I have a parallel port header on my motherboard so I guess I could find a bracket and cable to hook up a parallel printer. Fortunately most of my old junk printers can hook up via USB as well.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#221 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 20 March 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

Well a lot of the issue is finding compatible parts for older hardware.
I just bought a toner cartridge for my LaserJet 1220--close to $100 :'(  but it will probably last me 3+ years. Did not try any of the "non-HP" alternatives as I've read reports that people have bad luck with them and it's only a savings of about $30. I wonder if they'll be available next time I need one.
Registered Linux User 344759

#222 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

I think the reason I got the toner so handy is the guy in the shop may have thought it was so obsolete that he would just be lucky to get the 30 bucks instead of having to put it in the recycle stock bin . I does have the HP sticker on it .

#223 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

View PostCapt.Crow, on 21 March 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

I think the reason I got the toner so handy is the guy in the shop may have thought it was so obsolete that he would just be lucky to get the 30 bucks instead of having to put it in the recycle stock bin . I does have the HP sticker on it .

Nice :thumbsup:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users