FireFox problem !!!!

abarbarian

On my fresh install of Arch FF has been buggy since I installed.

This has happened before I installed any add-ons and after I installed add-ons.

FF takes about five seconds to fire up, that is whether it is being buggy or not.This is a very long start up time for my pc and set up.Last time I ran Arch FF started very quickly on this same pc.

FF would freeze sometimes with content showing and sometimes with just a white page showing.

Also it would not close down with the usual top right button.Closing them via the dock icon works though.

I ran top to see what was going on.

u2G3URH.png

Can anyone tell me why I have three USERS showing in top ?

As you can see it seems there are two FF's running.If I try to kill them they do not go away always. If I close FF via the dock item they still show up on top.

Here is a shot of FF running properly.

yLnf6GU.png

As you can see only one FF and it is using less memory and cpu than before.I must have gremlins in the pc as it is hit or miss if FF behaves.

All other programs seem to work very well including mpv and vlc.

Any ideas as to what is going on folks ??

:w00tx100:

Edited by abarbarian

Well, your 3 users would be yourself, root, and dbus. FF always takes 3 to 5 seconds to start on both my machines, but that's not new for me, so no help to you. I found a few very vague things at this link, but nothing definitive:

http://kb.mozillazin...g/Firefox_hangs

Hope someone comes along with some ideas.

Edited by ebrke

Well, your 3 users would be yourself, root, and dbus. FF always takes 3 to 5 seconds to start on both my machines, but that's not new for me, so no help to you. I found a few very vague things at this link, but nothing definitive:

Ta. Top on my pc usually shows two users.

I installed chromium and it froze on me too after a while. We just had a x-org update in Arch and that seems to have solved the problem.If only it had come sooner, would;d have saved me uninstalling FF and reinstalling and dumping add-ons that may not have been involved etc etc. Hey ho at least I have my usual pc set up, sort of working in some mysterious fashion. :Laughing:

• Like 2

Ta. Top on my pc usually shows two users.

I'd guess that that dbus daemon isn't always running, so you're at 2 users. That's what I see usually.

securitybreach

Dbus should always be running as:

D-Bus is enabled automatically when using systemd because dbus is a dependency of systemd.

https://wiki.archlin...index.php/D-Bus

I wouldn't pay attention to the amount of users as top counts every instance of root and user. I just checked and mine shows 15 users even though it only root and user:

zGltAmI.png

If you are worried about it, I would suggest using htop or glances as they provide better info than top imo.

Glad to hear that the new Xorg fixed your issue but I am kind of skeptical as the update didn't come with anything related to that.

The new version comes with the following changes:

• following ustream, xf86-video-modesetting is now provided with xorg-server package.
  • These packages are deprecated and moved to AUR, some are replaced by modesetting driver: xf86-video-ast, xf86-video-cirrus, xf86-video-geode, xf86-video-mga, xf86-video-sisimedia, xf86-video-v4l]

OK folks thanks for the help and info.

No idea why the pc is behaving itself but is definitely better after that x-org update. Maybe the update re set some config or some such.Like I said I am happy that it seems to work ok. :breakfast:

• Like 1

Well it ain't fixed.

3PybvgX.png

TlT7KTK.png

mency2B.png

YIJTfsB.png

It was working ok for a couple of hours and then :devil:

Any ideas folks ?? :'(

An more bafflement, increased memory decreased cpu.Oooooops look like I forgot to include the picture here. :228823:

Edited by abarbarian

V.T. Eric Layton

I had so many memory and cpu issues with FF the last year or so; it's why I went to Chromium full time. Just got tired of FF's hoggish behaviors.

You could try running FF in safe mode and see how it behaves. Or you could disable your extensions/plugins one-by-one to find the one that's causing problems. Or you could wipe your FF profile directory and start fresh with a newly installed FF.

I tried all of those and never did resolve my FF issues. :(

• Like 1

Ta Eric.

I deleted all the FF folders and files I could find after I uninstalled it and did a fresh install. Srill the same multiple FF's showwing in htop.

Progress however as it seems I can now watch some videos on-line like this,

http://www.freemoviescinema.com/animation/220-codehunters-2007-astonishing-capsule-anime-film

Not all videos are watchable on all sites though.

:whistling:

securitybreach

I am with Eric, I left FireFox for Chrome/Chromium years ago as FF became a buggy mess. There were always memory leaks and high cpu usage with FF, so I left it alone and never looked back.

I find Chrome uses way more memory than FF especially if you have a lot of tabs open. Chrome starts a new process for each tab.

IMO they are both OK, and I do use both for different things, eg. Chrome is better for Google spreadsheet editing.

• Like 1

Well I found this,

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-livestreamer/#

http://livestreamer.tanuki.se/en/latest/cli.html#cli-livestreamerrc

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/livestreamer/

Which is Livestreamer with a FF add-on using mpv. So I installed it and set it up by creating a "~/.livestreamerrc" like this,

# Player options

player=mpv --cache 2048

player-no-close

player-continuous-http

ringbuffer-size 30M

No idea if it works as all the sites I have tried to play video on seem to work now, I guess with HTML5 as they work with Livestreamer disabled or enabled.

So I seem to have video on the web with out Adobe.

When I play video in FF I still have multiple FF's showing in htop but now they are using cpu wheras not playing video multople FF's show but do not use so much cpu.

Bafled I am but at least I can watch vids on the net.

:breakfast:

MRG9CAX.png

2015-02-26-0004431914x1161scrot.png

Looks like top and htop report things differently.

I get the linuxatemyram bit but why is htop showing FF as using cpu on multiple instances.

By the way FF seems to be running much better since xorg stuff has and some updates here in archland. :fish:

securitybreach
I get the linuxatemyram bit but why is htop showing FF as using cpu on multiple instances.

Those are probably threads. Enable "Hide user threads" in Setup -> Display Options and those should go away.

Those are probably threads. Enable "Hide user threads" in Setup -> Display Options and those should go away.

Neat I have never got around to exploring the set up options. I have a clock and less FF's now. :clap:

• Like 1

Well I can not get any changes to stick. Htop does not have any config files on home,has an empty folder in ~/.config.

Htop-temperature has a ~/.config but changes I make do not stick. An the temperature feature shows a title but no temps.

:'(

Ain't down the list as you can tell from the picture. FF seems to have adopted the features of a Tardis. It keeps popping in and out of the picture :Laughing:

I made a few changes to the htop config file which showed up when I installed the Temp version maybe that has something to do with it.

# Beware! This file is rewritten by htop when settings are changed in the interface.

# The parser is also very primitive, and not human-friendly.

fields=0 48 17 18 38 39 40 2 46 47 49 1

sort_key=46

sort_direction=1

hide_threads=0

hide_kernel_threads=1

hide_userland_threads=1

shadow_other_users=0

show_thread_names=1

highlight_base_name=1

highlight_megabytes=0

highlight_threads=1

tree_view=0