Google, Microsoft, Others Threaten to Sue Adblock

crp

If I can't use AdBlock, I'll seriously consider leaving the internet. I disable it on sites I try to support (like SNLF), but many sites are close to unbearable without it.

• Like 1

Reasons why I block ads:

1. Sites take too long to load with all the ads some sites want on.

2. Some ads are malware so if you accidentally click on something you didn't want, you get a dose of something and then can either spend hours cleaning up the mess or restoring and image and then updating everything that requires updating. And hoping you did not forget to update something important, like flash.

Ads are distracting and annoying just like the telemarketers calls we get. I do not rely on ads to buy anything. If I'm interested, I will search out a product NOT by clicking on any ad.

• Like 3

+1 Eric.

They should be happy I use Adblock, it saves them the cost of sending them to someone who will never look at them, click them or buy from them.

• Like 2

Hello,

As far as I know, there are no technical or legal issues which prevent these businesses from selling subscriptions to access their content.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Guest LilBambi

I would consider not using adblock if:

1. Spammers/Malware purveyors were non-existent and made ads safer to view

2. People with sites were not so greedy making way too many ads that are obnoxious

3. I do allow ads on some sites if I can determine the source of ads and know they are safe

Guest LilBambi

Yep, so true ...

If all ads were not obnoxious, static and/or text only, and only safe coding was used for them on the Internet, and if pop ups and pop unders were not used, and bright reds and blinking crap were not used to call attention to them...

If ads were not abused ...

And if ads were ALWAYS safe, there would be very little problem with ads.

But none of that is true and never will be sadly...

I could not believe how many obnoxious ads and ad trackers, particularly cross site (read mostly slow) trackers that slow down the loading of pages -- there are until I used a computer that had no bad stuff on it, but everywhere you went, ads took up the lion's share of the pages, not to mention it took MINUTES to bring in all the cross site trackers.

I immediately installed Adblock Plus and life was again tolerable on the Internet.

newspaper, radio and tv would not exist at all were it not for ads.
Ah but there is a big difference between those ads. You can't inadvertently click on one that is malware and damage your computer.

I consider telemarketers as ad mongers but again, I do not have to listen. When the first few words come out and I know it is not something I want, I hang up. Just like I would never buy from a telemarketer, I would never buy from an ad I clicked on on my computer.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 1